PDA

View Full Version : Little Theories On Life: the point system

Topflight
12-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Ok, so before we get squirted out onto this planet we start off in some holding area. Maybe the area is with a god, I'm not sure, I can't really remember. But I've seen evidence that before we get here we are allotted points.

These points can be spent on several categories. Beauty, Intelligence, Strength, Wealth, etc.

The points range from

0: drooling retarded girl I saw digging in her bunghole while repairing a computer in a special ed class.

to

1000: Rich, Wealthy, Handsome, Intelligent Actor or something fun and popular like that.

Just knowing the existence of this system is very helpful and that's why I'm sharing it. It is important to try and figure out where you fit in on the scale. This is helpful in many aspects of life.

Dating for example:

You may be able to jump up 100 pts or so if you are lucky. But usually 800s are only long term compatible with other 800s. You have to work on getting faster and more effiecient at ranking everyone you see. Eventually it is as if everyone is walking around with a number floating above their head.

Anyway, my theory is that we all start out with some small amount of points the first time out. Depending on the things you do during a lifetime you earn more starting points for the next round.

I'm still developing many aspects of this theory, but I figured I'd share what I have so far.

I just think it's interesting to see how people spent their points. Take me and my best friend for example. I think we were given just about the same amount of points. He decided to spend a whole lot of them on a photographic memory and high processing speed. For this he sacrificed height and motor skills. I took a slower brain but am a bit less physically challenged. We both seem to be at about the exact same point in our lives right now. Early 20s, making ~50k, beating 5/10 for more than we make at work.

Sometimes you see people though that just must have started out with more points than you, and there is nothing you can do to compete with them no matter how hard you try.

How many points do you think you started with, and what did you spend them on?

vulturesrow
12-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Well it would be helpful to have some more defined categories, for instance Im not sure wealth should be one of those. Maybe just stick to innate characteristics?

I think Ill use generic terms and let you tell me what points they equate too?

As far as looks, Id rank myself strictly average, with a light bump upwards for being a little taller than most (6' 2"). As far as motor skills I'll go with slightly above average since I was a pretty good athlete in high school and played rugby in college with a fair degree of success. Id say brain power is probably my highest point getter. When I got tested while I was young I got about 140 on a standardized IQ test and did well on my standardized tests coming out of high school. I didnt take the SAT but I did take the ACT and got a 30 composite including a perfect score in reading comprehension. As far as social skills, Id say above average as well since I have no problems meeting new people, making friends, etc. How does all this translate into your points system?

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-02-2004, 04:25 PM

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many points do you think you started with, and what did you spend them on?

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean you don't remember? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 04:30 PM
You didn't spend any points on humility did you? Are you that GreenTea guy from the Internet forum awhile back? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Topflight
12-02-2004, 04:35 PM
The theory isn't fully developed. I have just used it on more of a gut feeling sort of way, which has become highly evolved. I haven't broken it down into actual categories, and I haven't really assigned numbers to certain things.

I do like these categories:

Looks
Brain Power
Athletisism
Social Ablility

With maybe 250 pts available in each category.

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The theory isn't fully developed. I have just used it on more of a gut feeling sort of way, which has become highly evolved. I haven't broken it down into actual categories, and I haven't really assigned numbers to certain things.

Looks
Brain Power
Athletisism
Social Ablility

[/ QUOTE ]
Was that a response to my post? I was responding to vulturesrow.

M2d
12-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Is this your own rating, others' rating of you or a bird's eye view? as an example, I like myself just fine and would give myself a 250 for Social Ability. Other's think I'm an ass and would give me a 03 (not a zero, because I don't crap my pants in public). However, i think being an ass to certain people is perfectly socially acceptible. bird's eye view, I have no idea what my social score would be.

bugstud
12-02-2004, 04:42 PM
not to be an ass, but a 140 should get better than a 30 composite on their act, even under the influence.

Topflight
12-02-2004, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this your own rating, others' rating of you or a bird's eye view? as an example, I like myself just fine and would give myself a 250 for Social Ability. Other's think I'm an ass and would give me a 03 (not a zero, because I don't crap my pants in public). However, i think being an ass to certain people is perfectly socially acceptible. bird's eye view, I have no idea what my social score would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bird's eye view for sure. You are scored based on the scores of others. It is a competition.

You bring up a very important point. You need to be able to rank yourself accurately among your peers. You cannot give yourself a high score because you like yourself. You must be in touch with reality.

If you see a guy talking to more people in a bar who is entertaining hotter women, he has more social points that you, end of discussion.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-02-2004, 04:56 PM
OOH OOH OOH! I know this one! (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=822639&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=1&vc=1)

Topflight
12-02-2004, 04:56 PM
The scoring is not necessarily simple. Each category can be broken down into sub categories.

Brain Power:

hard drive space
processing speed
conceptual analysis
etc

Social Skills:

large group entertainment
deep one on one relationships
humor
etc

Blarg
12-02-2004, 05:24 PM
I would put adaptability to stress and change in there. It's one of those things like a gun that if you're lucky you may never need, but if you need it, you need it more than you've ever needed anything else in the world, and you need it RIGHT NOW or you're totally screwed. How much adaptability you have can save you from plunging from an 800 to a 1 when things go wrong in life. Alternatively, it can make you go from a 400 to a 600 in situations where everyone else is either dropping down to 200's or just staying at 400 wondering what to do next, or not even knowing anything CAN be done next.

High adaptability in life is like being good in every sport. Lots of us are superstars in our comfort zone, but get just a little outside of it and we're devastated and can't adapt at all. Then we become ridiculous or helpless.

This is easy to see on the job, when people can't handle new tasks, and sometimes very easy to see socially, when people can't adapt to new or different people, to being around greater or lesser numbers of people, or to having to talk or give some kind of speech in front of people, etc. Why is someone such a hero of the neighborhood and BMOC in some situations but such a sniveling nerd you might even be embarassed to be around and feel like apologizing for in others? There's something about smartness in it, something about naturalness and confidence in it, something about just being able to see things the way they are in it, and then make the non-bad choices.

Some 1000's are 1000's until one tiny slip, and then they rocket down to 1's. Rank can be exceptionally fluid, in both directions, even for people who seem locked in at the top or bottom, depending on adapatability to stress and change. Of course the lower you come in, the more the ability to adapt is vital and even helps define everything else, and the greater chance by far that it will ever even be much of an issue. People with few natural gifts are often extremely adaptable, and people of great good fortune are often so brittle it's almost scary, as if you're practically waiting for them to shatter at any second.

vulturesrow
12-02-2004, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You didn't spend any points on humility did you? Are you that GreenTea guy from the Internet forum awhile back? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didnt and no I am not. I knew I was opening myself up to criticsim by posting but I thought it was an interesting post. I dont think I went overboard but I guess that is for others to decide. Being that no one here personally knows me, I guess you'll have to believe me or not. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

vulturesrow
12-02-2004, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not to be an ass, but a 140 should get better than a 30 composite on their act, even under the influence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly, but I came from a very weak school system, i.e, no AP classes, honors, etc. So there were definitely some gaps in my scholastic ability.

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No I didnt and no I am not. I knew I was opening myself up to criticsim by posting but I thought it was an interesting post. I dont think I went overboard but I guess that is for others to decide. Being that no one here personally knows me, I guess you'll have to believe me or not. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I was just kiddin'. Yours wasn't really anything like his. Read it. By far the funniest post ever. And it's not close. You'll see why.

GreenTea's Post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1217297&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1)

SomethingClever
12-02-2004, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, my theory is that we all start out with some small amount of points the first time out. Depending on the things you do during a lifetime you earn more starting points for the next round.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens when you reach 1,000? Reset back to zero? That would suck.

Gamblor
12-02-2004, 06:41 PM
what a block

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You get to put your name on the Hi Score list:

Score | Name
--------------------
1000 pts| AAA

Ulysses
12-02-2004, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Looks
Brain Power
Athletisism
Social Ablility

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one does penis-length fall under?

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-02-2004, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Looks
Brain Power
Athletisism
Social Ablility

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Athleticism

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Looks
Brain Power
Athletisism
Social Ablility

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Athleticism

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, I was hoping there was a way to make up for my skinny stature.

Blarg
12-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Try moving in circles.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-02-2004, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try moving in circles.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, horizontal stripes.

Topflight
12-03-2004, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think the #1 person on the planet is at 1000 and the worst is 1. Then we are all ranked based on this and everyone else. Only a few can be so high, if they improve it just distorts the graph. Maybe everyone is always improving and so is our standard of living. That's why we no longer live in caves.

Topflight
12-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Penis size is just a novelty used to trick people into wasting necessary points. It's kind of like a luxury for those who already have a lot of points.

Some people waste their precious points on this because they believe it is worth more than it is. I understand that it is very beneficial, it's just expensive pointwise.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-03-2004, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think the #1 person on the planet is at 1000 and the worst is 1. Then we are all ranked based on this and everyone else. Only a few can be so high, if they improve it just distorts the graph. Maybe everyone is always improving and so is our standard of living. That's why we no longer live in caves.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does the distribution follow a bell curve?

CCass
12-03-2004, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Looks
Brain Power
Athletisism
Social Ablility

[/ QUOTE ]

I am just stupid enough to give the first serious answer. I think I started with about 800 points (which I would consider above average). I would break down my scores as follows:

Looks - 180 points (72nd %ile, above average, but not stunningly handsome)
Brain Power - 242 points (97th %ile, my IQ is in the 130-135 range)
Athleticism - 175 points (70th %ile, I think I am a better athelete than 70% of the worlds population, but nothing concrete to quantify this assertion)
Social Ability - 203 points (82nd %ile, I have always been very socially adept)

These scores are of course subjective, and some may think this is bragging (it may be, I have always held a high opinion of myself).

However, in the game of life, I have always considered myself very lucky, and fortunate to have the "gifts" I have been given.

CCass
12-03-2004, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does the distribution follow a bell curve?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed a bell curve for my self analysis.

Topflight
12-03-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't know if it is a bell curve, but that seems most likely.

One thing that people never have a good handle on is what the avg person is actually like. Just by being able to log onto this forum and discuss anything probably puts you above average.

Most of the people I know are college students or have college degrees. They forget about the throngs of inner city and rural redneck hump a bumpkin people that are out there.

They usually compare themselves to their peers which as a whole group are above average.

I do like to remove the bums from the curve and only compare myself to my peers though, that usually keeps my sharp and focused on improving myself.