PDA

View Full Version : Rick Reilly's insult of fossilman

Daliman
12-02-2004, 12:20 PM
From Espn's Jackpot Jay;

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of weeks ago, in his backpage column in Sports Illustrated, Rick Reilly took a few shots at poker players in general, and at Raymer in particular.

"This poker craze is the biggest waste of time since Stevie Wonder went to a mime festival ..." Reilly wrote. "... I haven't seen this many doughy people since the Krispy Kreme company picnic. Do they tan under 40-watt bulbs? Where is the thrill in watching guys with 300 cholesterol levels play cards and rattle their chip stacks 1,000 different ways? The current World Series of Poker champ, Greg (Fossilman) Raymer, wears back-of-the-comic-book gag glasses and gemstone necklaces and goes about 275 pounds, though a good 3 percent of that is muscle ...

"These people spend more time on their butts than FDR did ...

"What's ESPN going to put on next, the World Hairline-Receding Championships?"

Raymer, who, like all championship poker players, is extremely competitive (despite his genial manner), responded by e-mailing Reilly a challenge to play him in a racquetball match. Reilly turned him down, claiming he had never played racquetball, and suggested they do battle in golf, a sport Reilly plays frequently. (Yes, this is the same Reilly who once famously challenged Sammy Sosa to pee into a cup on the spot after Sosa claimed he was willing to do just that to disprove rumors that he was a steroid abuser, and then publicly took the Dominican slugger to task for chickening out.)

In a subsequent e-mail, Raymer politely pointed out two things to Reilly:

1.) "I thought that was the point of the column -- that a physically fit guy like you could beat a doughboy like me in any competitive activity requiring legitimate athletic ability."

2.) Even if he somehow beat Reilly in golf, it would do nothing to disprove Reilly's contention that the average poker player is a hopelessly immobile lard-butt, "since there are plenty of top golfers -- even some major tournament winners -- who are fat."

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf, huh? I think Russ Hamilton would be MORE than happy to take Reilly up on a golf match, and he was once 4 spins or close.

Alas, Reilly doesn't have enough money.

Russ McGinley
12-02-2004, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1.) "I thought that was the point of the column -- that a physically fit guy like you could beat a doughboy like me in any competitive activity requiring legitimate athletic ability."

2.) Even if he somehow beat Reilly in golf, it would do nothing to disprove Reilly's contention that the average poker player is a hopelessly immobile lard-butt, "since there are plenty of top golfers -- even some major tournament winners -- who are fat."

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are good points by Greg and I'm assuming Reilly had no response since it's likely he's a giant pussy and doesn't want to get shown up. I like the phrase "hopelessly immobile lard-butt".

M2d
12-02-2004, 04:35 PM
How about Dewey Tomko? No holds barred (vaseline on the clubface ok) or straight up (rules of golf) should be fine. I think I read that he was scratch.

fsuplayer
12-02-2004, 04:46 PM
scratch golfer and great poker player, not bad for a 1st grade teacher.

Big Mac
12-02-2004, 05:33 PM
To me this guy sounds jealous and shallow.

Let's play dodge ball with him.

stabn
12-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Is there an over under on how many times this will get posted here?

Overall it was a great article though, i hate rick Reilly and fossilman did a great job sticking up for himself.

Beerfund
12-02-2004, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From Espn's Jackpot Jay;

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of weeks ago, in his backpage column in Sports Illustrated, Rick Reilly took a few shots at poker players in general, and at Raymer in particular.

"This poker craze is the biggest waste of time since Stevie Wonder went to a mime festival ..." Reilly wrote. "... I haven't seen this many doughy people since the Krispy Kreme company picnic. Do they tan under 40-watt bulbs? Where is the thrill in watching guys with 300 cholesterol levels play cards and rattle their chip stacks 1,000 different ways? The current World Series of Poker champ, Greg (Fossilman) Raymer, wears back-of-the-comic-book gag glasses and gemstone necklaces and goes about 275 pounds, though a good 3 percent of that is muscle ...

"These people spend more time on their butts than FDR did ...

"What's ESPN going to put on next, the World Hairline-Receding Championships?"

Raymer, who, like all championship poker players, is extremely competitive (despite his genial manner), responded by e-mailing Reilly a challenge to play him in a racquetball match. Reilly turned him down, claiming he had never played racquetball, and suggested they do battle in golf, a sport Reilly plays frequently. (Yes, this is the same Reilly who once famously challenged Sammy Sosa to pee into a cup on the spot after Sosa claimed he was willing to do just that to disprove rumors that he was a steroid abuser, and then publicly took the Dominican slugger to task for chickening out.)

In a subsequent e-mail, Raymer politely pointed out two things to Reilly:

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf, huh? I think Russ Hamilton would be MORE than happy to take Reilly up on a golf match, and he was once 4 spins or close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew all the Raymer lovers would jump all over Reilly for this but it's freakin true! Walk into a pokerroom and see how many of the players are overweight, prolly %80. On a side note, I've played racquetball about ten times in my life and I can safely say that no one as overweight as Raymer could ever beat me, EVER! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

CORed
12-02-2004, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Walk into a pokerroom and see how many of the players are overweight

[/ QUOTE ]

I resemble that remark.

I'm in shape. Round is a shape.

M2d
12-02-2004, 06:42 PM
I think we have the makings of a challenge here.

SossMan
12-02-2004, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(vaseline on the clubface ok)

[/ QUOTE ]

does this really work?

M2d
12-02-2004, 07:00 PM
well, you gotta be pointing straight in the first place (alignment is a big problem of mine sometimes), but it takes the spin off and makes your ball go where you're pointing.

Boris
12-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Sounds to me like Reilly got cleaned out at the Bellagio poker tables.

Phat Mack
12-02-2004, 07:30 PM

If Reilly wants to play golf for money, the last thing he wants to do is cruise poker rooms. Jesus, some of those old farts, who you wouldn't think able to walk across the parking lot, can play.

uuDevil
12-02-2004, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, I've played racquetball about ten times in my life and I can safely say that no one as overweight as Raymer could ever beat me, EVER!

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless you're quite good at some other racket sport, I think you'd be a big underdog.

eric5148
12-02-2004, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(vaseline on the clubface ok)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does this really work?

[/ QUOTE ]

It "works" because it reduces spin. If you're a bad player who sprays the ball all over the place, it would help you.

If you're a good player who can manipulate the ball flight on purpose, it would hurt you in two different ways: you wouldn't be able to draw or fade the ball, and you would lose distance control because of less backspin.

I now declare myself the official 2+2 golf nerd. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kellon
12-02-2004, 08:12 PM
You're pretty close. Golf ball mfgrs design their golf balls to have less backspin off the driver b/c less backspin (off the driver) means more distance. Club mfgrs do the same to the extent possible, i.e., design drivers to create less backspin on the ball off the tee. Part of the reason is stop the ball from "ballooning", which is one of the possible results of backspin. So, using the "grease" on the driver could, possibly, result in a longer drive.

Daliman
12-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Yeah, but Russ used to be very heavy, which was part of my specific point.

Daliman
12-02-2004, 08:58 PM
If fossilman plays a decent game, you have no chance, unless you just happen to be a phenomenal athlete. There's a lot more to racqeutball than meets the eye.

andyfox
12-02-2004, 09:02 PM
The only thing worse than bad publicity is no publicity.

Beerfund
12-02-2004, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If fossilman plays a decent game, you have no chance, unless you just happen to be a phenomenal athlete. There's a lot more to racqeutball than meets the eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to be a "phenomal" athlete to beat someone who is badly out of shape. I would have him running so muchin the first 10 minutes he would need an oxygen tank.

Kellon
12-02-2004, 11:16 PM
I have no idea whether you know what you're talking about or whether you really do know how to play racketball, but I have watched and played against a number of people who appear to be in the same condition as Greg (and who happened to be lawyers, btw), who I have no doubt would beat you badly, regardless of how well you think you can play. Position and ball placement have far more to do with winning racketball than who can out-run the other. Unless you've seen Greg play, even if you've got trophies on your mantle, you really should keep your boasts to yourself.

uuDevil
12-02-2004, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have to be a "phenomal" athlete to beat someone who is badly out of shape. I would have him running so muchin the first 10 minutes he would need an oxygen tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daliman is right. If he can play, you'll be doing all the running. Also, being overweight doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have good cardiovascular endurance.

youtalkfunny
12-02-2004, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, being overweight doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have good cardiovascular endurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I joined the army in '92. I was 25 years old. I was overweight when I went in, and I was discharged (honorably) for failing to get down to the army's required weight or body fat percentage.

At the time of my discharge, I was running 6 miles every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; bicycling about 30 miles on Saturday; and playing racquetball for an hour on Tuesday and Thursday.

So don't necessarily equate appearance with endurance.

(What about Sunday? Why, I couldn't get out of bed, of course!)

Beerfund
12-03-2004, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, being overweight doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have good cardiovascular endurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I joined the army in '92. I was 25 years old. I was overweight when I went in, and I was discharged (honorably) for failing to get down to the army's required weight or body fat percentage.

At the time of my discharge, I was running 6 miles every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; bicycling about 30 miles on Saturday; and playing racquetball for an hour on Tuesday and Thursday.

So don't necessarily equate appearance with endurance.

(What about Sunday? Why, I couldn't get out of bed, of course!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the Army for 4 years and I can easily say that people like you make me want to vomit. I have no doubt in my mind that if you even half assed tried to get in shape and meet the weight requirements you could have. A 25 year old male can have what, about 18% body fat? And you couldn't get below that? I know they gave you ample time and plenty of "encouragement" to do it. Of course this is a good thing because I sure as Hell wouldn't want to be fighting in Tikret with you next to me. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Beerfund
12-03-2004, 12:12 AM
[/ QUOTE ]

Daliman is right. If he can play, you'll be doing all the running. Also, being overweight doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have good cardiovascular endurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does, no person that is overweight could ever do any cardiovascular activity longer than I could. EVER!

Synth
12-03-2004, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The current World Series of Poker champ, Greg (Fossilman) Raymer, wears back-of-the-comic-book gag glasses and gemstone necklaces and goes about 275 pounds, though a good 3 percent of that is muscle ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Rude but funny. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Raymer, who, like all championship poker players, is extremely competitive (despite his genial manner), responded by e-mailing Reilly a challenge to play him in a racquetball match. Reilly turned him down, claiming he had never played racquetball, and suggested they do battle in golf, a sport Reilly plays frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every PRO poker player I have seen play the game of golf SUCK! And i'm sure Reilly was well aware of this before turning down Raymers racquetball challenge. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical Raymer fashion, polite and mannerd. Well done.

[ QUOTE ]
I knew all the Raymer lovers would jump all over Reilly for this..

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all, i'm sure there are a few more dozen just waiting to post a reply.

Daliman
12-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Yep. Confirmed. You're a moron.

Beerfund
12-03-2004, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yep. Confirmed. You're a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one.... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Burno
12-03-2004, 12:42 AM
[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Every year at my high school an old tubby Priest held a racquetball tournament. If you advanced to the championship match you of course played him. When I left high school he was approaching 70, and still undefeated.

This whole argument is similar to the Paul Phillips scrabble affair.

Il_Mostro
12-03-2004, 03:58 AM
No, really, you are

Justin A
12-03-2004, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Every PRO poker player I have seen play the game of golf SUCK! And i'm sure Reilly was well aware of this before turning down Raymers racquetball challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you referring to that blurb they did during the WSOP with Ivey and company? There's plenty of high stakes poker players who rule at golf. I don't know about today, but Doyle Brunson used to be very close to being a scratch golfer, even when he weighed 400 pounds.

Justin A

The Dude
12-03-2004, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've played racquetball about ten times in my life and I can safely say that no one as overweight as Raymer could ever beat me, EVER!

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got $20,000 cash that says you're wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
people like you make me want to vomit. I have no doubt in my mind that if you even half assed tried to get in shape and meet the weight requirements you could have.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're a di[/i]ck.

Beerfund
12-03-2004, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've played racquetball about ten times in my life and I can safely say that no one as overweight as Raymer could ever beat me, EVER!

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got $20,000 cash that says you're wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
people like you make me want to vomit. I have no doubt in my mind that if you even half assed tried to get in shape and meet the weight requirements you could have.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're a di[/i]ck.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be a tub of [censored] too. Here's a quick plan; put down the fork, move away from the table, and lift something heavy. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

silversurfer
12-03-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, I've played racquetball about ten times in my life and I can safely say that no one as overweight as Raymer could ever beat me, EVER!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played on and off for years. This is one of the most stupid things I've read on this forum. The sad part is, judging by your subsequent comments, you believe all this. Screw $20k, please PM me your personal info so we can set up a match for a Lambo or something.

I was in the Army too. While there are many honorable, decent, and hardworking individuals, there are also a plethora of inept jackasses who join the military because they have no other choice, lest they flip burgers the rest of their life. Guess what category I place you in?

This forum - and this planet - could use less brain-dead gimps like yourself.

By the way, I think I was at your table last night in a MTT you played in. Stick to articles about poker and work on your game as opposed to bashing people. You're horrible.

Synth
12-03-2004, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are you referring to that blurb they did during the WSOP with Ivey and company?...

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is what I WAS referring to I would have said so. Nontheless, I have golfed with two "pro" poker players before and they weren't very good. I have also seen Arieh and Chris Lindgren(sp?) golf and they too sucked.

So i'll say it again for you to comprehend...."Every PRO poker player ( I ) have seen play the game of golf SUCK!" Need it to be anymore clear?

The added Reilly comment was for pure humor.

Daliman
12-03-2004, 03:33 PM
While this may be true, believe me, if YOU were any good, and had any money, the good ones would find you.

Your statement is akin to saying every banker you've ever seen or played golf with sucked because you've played with 2 of them, and seen a couple more on TV. Means little, but hey, this IS an opinion forum.

M.B.E.
12-03-2004, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no doubt in my mind that if you even half assed tried to get in shape and meet the weight requirements you could have.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that supposed to be a joke? It is not at all funny.

youtalkfunny
12-04-2004, 02:36 AM
Naw, he's right. I should've ran TWELVE miles on MWF, biked NINETY miles on Saturday, and foregone the racquetball on Tu/Thr so that I could spend that time running some more.

OTOH, the mandatory "nutrition counseling" I attended was a joke. If they were any help at all, who knows if I could've made it. I knew absolutely nothing about nutrition. I remember being shocked when I found out a few years later that cheese was fattening.

The army's idea of "nutrition counseling" was, "When you get your food in the mess hall, before you sit down, go over to the trash can and throw away one-third of everything. That way you'll eat less!"

That was great. Except two hours after the mess hall closed, I was starving, and the only food available to me in that barracks was pizza delivery or Chinese take-out.

A lot of buddies who didn't think army life was so swell, started eating when they saw it was a quick honorable discharge. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

One more ironic note: before booting me, my CO called me in for a chat. He wanted to make sure that I was sincerely trying to meet the requirements. I told him that I loved military life, and pointed out my always-rising PT scores.

I later found out that he just wanted to make sure I wasn't malingering before he kicked me out of the army. If I was malingering, he would've made me stay in. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Daliman
12-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Gotta admit, I don't understand how it's possible to have that much physical activity and still be overweight. Course, I'm 34 and at my fattest ever at 5'8" 158 lbs. Guess it just goes to show you that metabolism is the dominant factor in size/shape.

As an aside to those who would say you just ate too much, I've heard that marathon runners are among the biggest eaters you will ever see, commonly eating 12,000+ calories a day leading up to a race. Not alot of 300 pounders in that group.

The Dude
12-04-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As an aside to those who would say you just ate too much, I've heard that marathon runners are among the biggest eaters you will ever see, commonly eating 12,000+ calories a day leading up to a race.

[/ QUOTE ]
No way they eat 12,000 calories per day. When I was training for wrestling in high school, I went through a bout where I was eating 5,000+ calories per day, and I was stuffing myself every opportunity I got.

Il_Mostro
12-05-2004, 12:20 PM
how about you put your money where you mouth is?

codewarrior
12-05-2004, 01:51 PM
No matter how fast you think you are, my kill shots are unreturnable. OK, they were unreturnable when I played pre-shoulder injury. So were my serves.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Beerfund
12-05-2004, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how about you put your money where you mouth is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yawwwwwwwn, OK I've had enough of the fatty's on this board posting rambling nothingness. I was wrong, fat people are great raquetball players and I can't beat any of them, fat people are also fat because God chose for them to be fat not because they eat too much and their daily exercise consists of taking a shyt. Am I forgetting anything? It doesn't matter......don't bother replying, I wouldn't want you to have to put the bag of french fries down.

The Dude
12-06-2004, 03:17 AM
BTW, I've thoroughly enjoyed you making an as[/b]s of yourself this in this thread. Thank you.

Beerfund
12-06-2004, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I've thoroughly enjoyed you making an as[/b]s of yourself this in this thread. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO! Put down the keyboard and pick up the PIE! Hurry I can see you sweat, you might lose a pound or two posting to much, Eat damnit EAT!

Spladle Master
12-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Wow, you're a dick.

Spladle Master
12-06-2004, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As an aside to those who would say you just ate too much, I've heard that marathon runners are among the biggest eaters you will ever see, commonly eating 12,000+ calories a day leading up to a race.

[/ QUOTE ]
No way they eat 12,000 calories per day. When I was training for wrestling in high school, I went through a bout where I was eating 5,000+ calories per day, and I was stuffing myself every opportunity I got.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this was during the off-season, yes?

The Dude
12-06-2004, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I was fighting to gain wait my entire Sr. year of wrestling. I started 3 mos. before the season at 148 lbs, and my last weigh-in was 185 lbs. I wrestled in the 189 weight-class all year, much of which I was under 180 for.

smoore
12-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Damn! Don't mess with thedude! He's one tough bastard if he could wrestle that class under 180.

Daliman
12-06-2004, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I was fighting to gain wait my entire Sr. year of wrestling. I started 3 mos. before the season at 148 lbs, and my last weigh-in was 185 lbs. I wrestled in the 189 weight-class all year, much of which I was under 180 for.

[/ QUOTE ]

SHUTE SHUTE SHUTE SHUTE SHUTE!

zaxx19
12-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Im just here too say I am a bad golfer(86ish is good for me)
I can drive it 220 and straight, I can putt from 8 feet in wonderfully. It really is everything in between that gives me problems lol. Oh and it is /images/graemlins/tongue.gif amazing how many people claim to be scratch golfers in life. Usually I will hear about somoene being a scratch golfer then play with them...then proceed to see that they are about +4-+7 and then graciously nod when they talk about how hard a round they just had.

silversurfer
12-07-2004, 01:13 AM
ahhh, a fellow ex-wrestler. I know what it's like to suck weight...after the state finals were over, i went from 152 to 160 in a day. It was tough, but those were fun times, and I'd do it again in an instant were I to suddenly find myself 17 again /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Daliman
12-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Halfway through my junior year in HS, since I was so small and an OK athlete, I was asked to go out for wrestling on varsity, since they were having problems filling their lowest weight class. I asked what the lowest weight class was, and was told it is 98.

I'd have had to gain 17 lbs to GET to 98.......

ethan
12-07-2004, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Halfway through my junior year in HS, since I was so small and an OK athlete, I was asked to go out for wrestling on varsity, since they were having problems filling their lowest weight class. I asked what the lowest weight class was, and was told it is 98.

I'd have had to gain 17 lbs to GET to 98.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus. Were you already 5'8" at that point? I went to high school with who was 6'6", 120lbs, and 5'8" 81 sounds like about the same build.

The Dude
12-07-2004, 06:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ahhh, a fellow ex-wrestler. I know what it's like to suck weight...after the state finals were over, i went from 152 to 160 in a day. It was tough, but those were fun times, and I'd do it again in an instant were I to suddenly find myself 17 again

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I've never been through anyting as tough as training for my Sr. year, but I agree. I'd do it all over again in an instant. High school wrestling -especially my Sr. year - was the time of my life.

The Dude
12-07-2004, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn! Don't mess with thedude! He's one tough bastard if he could wrestle that class under 180.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha. At the time - and for about 2 years out of high school - you would have been right. But now, while I'm not nearly the fat slop Beerfund seems to think I am, I'm not what I once was either.

silversurfer
12-07-2004, 02:45 PM
dali - holy mackerel, you were a diminutive fellow. /images/graemlins/grin.gif i assume you didn't do it; it's just as well, as it's too much weight to give up anyway. when i was a frosh/sophomore, i wrestled in the 171 lb class cause we didn't have anyone in that class. needless to say, i got smoked.

dude - i'm certainly not miserable as an adult, nor do i sit around wishing for my hs glory days, but i will never forget those times either. i'd pony up 3 of ivey's bankrolls to be able to have a complete "mental DVD" of those seasons. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Daliman
12-07-2004, 03:32 PM
No, i was about 4'10" at the time. Was 5'3" and 103 lbs when I graduated.

Hack
12-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Anyone that feels the need to criticize people for their weight is a scumbag in my book who has self-confidence issues.

People who criticize Raymer for his weight are probably just jealous of his $5,000,000 payday.

Don't judge people by their weight. Judge them by their personality. I have more respect for Raymer than I do for Josh Arieh, for example, because Raymer has a good personality and a good heart.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/your_turn/news/2000/06/14/chatreel_reilly/

Besides, Rick still hasn't fulfilled his promise to bathe nude in a vat of clam chowder once the Red Sox beat the Yanks in a playoff series.