PDA

View Full Version : Big money, Big Prizes. I love it.

Buckshot
12-02-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm in the poker room of the Borgata with the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif in the big blind and I'm faced with the following situation:

UTG raised, he's a new kid on the block, typical college student with aspirations of being a pro poker player. The next two people (P1 and P2) cold called and they are making the game because they call and call and call unless they have something of value then they seem to bet or raise. The next player (P3) is in a hoodie and orange fleece and told P2 he felt sorry that everyone else at the table was taking advantage of his inexperience. P3 told P2 to get up and leave. Oh, and P3 called too. The next player to call was the husband (CO) of the button (B), but the thing is the button reraised. Naturally, I capped the bet and everyone called.

FLOP: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet and UTG, P1, and P2 called. P3 raised and it was folded back to me.

I called. What would you do?

TURN: T/images/graemlins/club.gif

I checked and UTG checked. Is that ok? But P1 bet and P3 called.

Now what?

~stephen

TStoneMBD
12-02-2004, 10:32 AM
cap the flop

Chief911
12-02-2004, 10:43 AM
3-bet the flop, and lead out the turn. Or check-raise the turn. You'll find out quickly if you are ahead or behind.

Nick

AviD
12-02-2004, 10:55 AM
I'd 3-bet the flop as P1 and P2 are calling anyway and P3 could likely be on the nut flush draw with something like A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJx or A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQx...but of course the only thing I can infer from him calling is that he may be better than P2 given the dialogue but calls anyway which may indicate he isn't or he has at least something. His raise on this flop and turn call indicate a draw to me, either to overcards or the flush...not likely a made hand.

As it played out, raise the turn...as P1 will probably call 2 cold anyway, and P2 surely will as he probably has something like KTo and just hit top pair on the board...so he has to bet! P3 doesn't raise, indicating a likely flush draw and not wanting to lose callers behind him by raising...he isn't there yet so raise.

I only like the flop bet and call of the raise with the intention of check-raising the turn, and ONLY IF you are certain P3 will bet the turn and you can making it two cold to the rest of the field and they are almost certain to call. But I'm not worried here about P1 or P2 and think you are way ahead of them, so don't give the turn free card...bet out, get the equity from P1 and P2 the times P3 misses his draw.

If you held the A of diamonds...well I'd probably without hesitation re-raise at every opportunity to get the most money in there.

Victor
12-02-2004, 10:57 AM
raise the turn.

The Bear
12-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Raise. Well played so far. I hope you followed through.

cjx
12-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Hmm, this looks like a good case of lead hand with poor implied odds. The calling stations definitely have potential to be drawing to an inside or open ended straight draw and anyone and their mother has a chance for that flush draw. Is it possible you could check and call the flop (unless you have the chance to face a biggish portion of the field with a 3-bet) and then go for a check raise on the turn (assuming no diamond) to really force the field to make a decision, maybe drop off some people drawing to the straight or two pair, you won't lose any flush draws, but that's the line I think is best.

cjx

Edit: In the case where you played it I'd go ahead and raise.

James282
12-02-2004, 02:42 PM
The title of this post is awesome. Smash TV haha. As for the hand, I think you need to keep raising on the flop to keep the lead in this hand so that the dreadful scenario of the turn being checked through when it's a non-diamond does not happen.
-James

tpir90036
12-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Great subject. I looked at it first thing with happy thoughts of Mutoid Man going through my head.

Anyway, I would wait and raise the turn when something blanky comes off...and I would consider the T /images/graemlins/club.gif blanky in this case. If none of the players are tricky I think you can safely fold to a turn 3-bet. The river should sort of play itself depending on what flavor of card comes off.

-tpir

Buckshot
12-02-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm glad someone caught the title reference. I guess I'm dating myself since I've spent millions upon millions of hours playing that game.

As for the hand, the turn didn't get checked through and I don't think it would've regardless if I had 3-bet the flop. But, I'm more concerned about P1 suddenly betting out with a seemingly non-threatening card.

~stephen

Joe Tall
12-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Absolute must 3-bet the flop. Press the field between you and the flop raiser w/2-bets.

Once you have called; I'd go for a turn c/r if it's check to P3. Ok, now P1 stop-n-goes and P3 calls w/a lesser overpair or A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifover-x, this pot is fcking huge and you are sure P1 has got a set/str8, I can only make this fold live. Consider this, however, over calling in this size is not that big of an error.

Peace,
Joe Tall

bicyclekick
12-02-2004, 08:41 PM
I would have called on the flop like you did and gone for the check-raise, like you did and followed through with it. P1 probably just has something like T9 or whatever. If you just called i wouldn't hate you for it, though.

offTopic
12-02-2004, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad someone caught the title reference. I guess I'm dating myself since I've spent millions upon millions of hours playing that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very fun, though in my local arcade, it seemed to take about two days for the joysticks to go bad.

mikeyKay
12-03-2004, 04:31 PM
"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Buckshot
12-03-2004, 06:21 PM
I almost forgot about this post.

Anyway, I guess I can't play Aces very well because I folded on the turn. I figured I was done because the player that doesn't normally bet was suddenly betting after being capped preflop and raised on the flop. His turn bet was strange to me. Strange enough to make me fold.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a showdown either which also makes me sick, but that's what I get for playing this hand badly. I figured I was beat anyhow but there should've been a call by someone.

~stephen

Senor Choppy
12-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Weird turn bets after someone bets the flop and checks the turn to someone are usually the norm. A flush wouldn't surprise me, but neither would bottom pair with no draw.

Check-folding the turn to 1 bet is not good unless you're playing against ultra-predictable opponents.

joker122
12-03-2004, 09:06 PM
call the flop and check raise a good turn card.