PDA

View Full Version : Get the Bonus - What game to play

Fangface
12-02-2004, 04:58 AM
(I also posted this in the "poker"-section since I didn't know what place was the best.)

This might seem like an odd question, but here goes.

What type of game would you recommend when you are trying to get your bonus on a site? A game where you can play many hands in a short time with as little risk to your bankroll as possible.
I just started an acc. at Interpoker, the 90$ for 90$ bonus. My goal was to at least try and break even while playing my 450 hands as quickly as possible. I started out playing fixed limit omaha, since I know that game pretty well.
But I discovered its very "timeconsuming" when trying to play as many as 450 hands to get your bonus. So I changed to 6-handed NLHE. When playing this I got a lot of more hands done, BUT on the other hand this type of game is very tough with a low bankroll (I only had the 90$ to start with) One bad call or just some bad luck will cripple you (in one hand I got dealt KK when my opp. moved all in with AA, that crippled me badly).

I guess the answer to my question would be something like "Whatever you feel comfortable with". But I would like to get your opinions.

So basically, what game do you think is the best to play to get your required amount of hands done as quickly as possible, with as low risk to your bankroll as possible? :-)

IggyWH
12-02-2004, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(I also posted this in the "poker"-section since I didn't know what place was the best.)

This might seem like an odd question, but here goes.

What type of game would you recommend when you are trying to get your bonus on a site? A game where you can play many hands in a short time with as little risk to your bankroll as possible.
I just started an acc. at Interpoker, the 90$ for 90$ bonus. My goal was to at least try and break even while playing my 450 hands as quickly as possible. I started out playing fixed limit omaha, since I know that game pretty well.
But I discovered its very "timeconsuming" when trying to play as many as 450 hands to get your bonus. So I changed to 6-handed NLHE. When playing this I got a lot of more hands done, BUT on the other hand this type of game is very tough with a low bankroll (I only had the 90$ to start with) One bad call or just some bad luck will cripple you (in one hand I got dealt KK when my opp. moved all in with AA, that crippled me badly).

I guess the answer to my question would be something like "Whatever you feel comfortable with". But I would like to get your opinions.

So basically, what game do you think is the best to play to get your required amount of hands done as quickly as possible, with as low risk to your bankroll as possible? :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

When I do the InterPoker bonuses, I always do like 3 or 4 tables of 6max 1/2 LHE. I buyin usually on a table for $25 and then just play real tight. Pretty easy then to at least break even... for me at least while working off the bonus.

Stupendous_Man
12-02-2004, 09:09 AM
With only a $90 bankroll (that sounds like it's even smaller now) it's going to be tough to earn the $90 bonus at Interpoker (which by the way is actually $100 bonus for the month of December). I believe the lowest limit offered is 1/2 at Interpoker. If your br is truly only $90, it might make more sense to start at Poker Plex. Their bonus is only $50, but you only have to be DEALT X hands (I forget if it's 300 or 350). The DEALT part is key. At Interpoker, you have to be dealt cards for 450 hands that the pot is RAKED. Assuming you earn the $50 Plex bonus and break even on your play, you now have at least a $140 br to take to Interpoker to work on that bonus.

With regards to the best games to play to earn bonuses, that all depends on the site. For example, many people talk about the NL games when doing the Party and skins bonuses, as the rake starts off much lower.

If you're wanting help on building a bankroll, do a search (here in the zoo) for a post by Homer called Building a Bankroll for Newbies. Read the whole thread.

Fangface
12-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Well, the bankroll is about 80$ now.

Anyway, I've read that article, excellent one by the way. That article is about exactly my problem. You start out with a bankroll of 100$. I've been playing Omaha high and THE for about 4-5 months so I should be able to at least break even. But I do tend to get scared by aggressive players so maybe the MAX6pl. LHE would be the best for me to play as previously posted. I'll try that and hope for the best. Thank for your opinions..........

BradleyT
12-02-2004, 10:49 AM
I deposit at least $200 into Interpoker on a month after I've cashed out (otherwise my balance is always over $200 if I haven't cashed out in a month or two). This lets me play 4 or 5 tables with $40 on each which is within my "comfort zone" for sitting at a table.

Stupendous_Man
12-02-2004, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But I do tend to get scared by aggressive players so maybe the MAX6pl. LHE would be the best for me to play as previously posted. I'll try that and hope for the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an expert on 6max play, but would not recommend it for you, based on your comment above. Read posts from better players who play 6max. I think you'll quickly see 6max is not for the timid, unless they intend to lose their roll.

Have you read SSH and other good books?

stir
12-02-2004, 11:18 AM
I'll suggest another option at Interpoker which is not as popular as some of those routes already suggested.

Play one table (or maybe two if you think you can handle that) of $1/2 Limit hold'em.

Why? Because the variance is fairly low and I have found these to be extremely passive. Since you say you don't want to face aggressive play, play tight and just
grind out your needed raked hand requirement.

The downside: it is a boring grind, and you are unlikely to
make a profit at the tables unless you happen to hit a lot of flops. Then as someone else suggested I'd move to Pokerplex.

stir
12-02-2004, 11:20 AM
What stupendous said is true, it is not for the timid, which is another reason to go the route I suggested.

Fangface
12-02-2004, 12:09 PM
My thought was that with 6pl. it goes a lot quicker. But you think I should do the 10pl. tables instead?

Fangface
12-02-2004, 12:11 PM
You mean play the 10pl. tables limit holdem instead of 6pl. limit holdem?

stir
12-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Yes. You are correct that 6 player goes quicker, i.e., more raked hands per hour that you play. But interpoker 6 player tables are known for their loose aggresive players, (at least some of the time). If you play these shorthanded tables you run a greater risk of having your limited bankroll wiped out. That is what I meant by lower variance at the 10 handed tables.

Basically the tradeoff is lower your risk, but have to play more hours to clear the bonus.

BradleyT
12-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Yes, if you don't know how to adjust when playing short handed you should play the 10 player tables rather than the 6 player tables.

B00T
12-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Play the 10 person tables for these reasons...

#1. 6 max you are paying the blinds almost twice as often. If you are playing tight there will be a lot of raises and you surrending blinds playing tight.

#2 Since you need it to be raked, you need the pot to hit $5 in order for it to be counted. At 10 person tables more players = more will be in (in general) and to reach a $5 pot is much easier. ($1.50 will already be in with 8 people still willing to call or raise as opposed to $1.50 with 4 people left to call or raise at 6 max)

I know the 6 person tables people will call down and play lesser hands but for someone concerned with not losing all their money you can be a lot more passive in the 10 person tables than 6.

Hope this helps.

Your Mom
12-02-2004, 01:17 PM
I started making some serious money as soon as I stopped worrying about breaking even while I cleared bonuses.

Fangface
12-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Ok.... I have felt that I have better control of a table with only 6 players. But maybe I should just stick with the 10 pl. and clear the bonuses before I try that :-)

Thanks for all advice. Ill let you know how I do.....

joedot
12-02-2004, 06:52 PM
I do the same thing. I just leave 90 on interpoker, and never have a problem playing with that amount and clearing the bonus. The only problem is that you probably don't have enough to multi table. So if you really want to clear this quick, then put 300 or so in there, and 4 table 1/2 6 max. Otherwise, just take the 90 to a 1/2 6 max table and play. It will take a while, but this is the fastest and most profitable way to do it. If you have any short handed skills, I think you will be happy to find that there is some pretty dastardly play at these tables. Also, if you are going to just do it with the 90, you better play tight. Make sure every dollar you stick in the middle is out there for a good reason. If you do that, you won't have any problems.

joedot
12-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Here's the thing. If he really wants to become a better player, he MUST play short handed. When one learns how to play shorthanded, they become a much better player in all aspects of the game. Interpoker provides a great way to learn how to play shorthanded. The bonus can help cushion any losses that the newbie might have in making the transition. It also could pay large dividends in the long run to sacrifice a little short term gain and learn to beat the short games. Also, if he plays tight, he will at least break even imo. It's not like the players will be relentlessy stealing his blinds and he'll just meekly fold his hand to aggression all the time. The games can be aggressive, but they are also very loose, multiway, and full of people that pay off with bottom, middle, no pair, and god knows what else. I think he'll do fine. Also, facing aggression in a 1/2 shorthanded game is a lot less serious than facing it in a shorthanded 30/60 game.

kdog
12-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Given your criteria of a short bankroll and a desire to clear the bonus as quickly as possible I would split the roll and and sit in two $1-2 games. Then I would play tighter than a bull's ass in fly season.

Fangface
12-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks again for all advice and opinions.

It seems half of you prefer the 6pl. tables and the rest 10pl. tables limit-holdem. I guess Ill have to work out what works best for me. As I said I feel like I have a lot better control on a table with just 6 players, feels like the chance of someone outdrawing you with a miracle card decreases a lot also. On the other hand, As some of you say, the pots grow bigger and I don't have to post as many SB and BB on a 10pl. table. Ill try both and we'll see where I do best.