PDA

View Full Version : Action on the Set!, 66 in the SB in a gigantic pot

runa
12-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Bad run, lots of premiums cracked, flush over flush, JJ for boat under QQ for the boat...I should be shy but for some reason the voices of reason fell on deaf ears tonight. How is my play? What do you put my opponents on?

Both opponents are loose (VPIP 55+). BB is a calling station and UTG+1 is an aggro nut. Any 2 will do?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (12 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (26 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 38 BB

CinnamonWind
12-02-2004, 04:48 AM
Even against a nut, low set on that board capped on every street doesn't smell like a winner to me.

You really have no idea if you're behind another set, 7-10, or just two pair. The cap by the BB reeks something that will beat low set, and the UTG+1 ... who knows?

I think you're going to get shown a higher set or a flopped straight.

runa
12-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Should I have slowed on the turn? I really didn't like my river bet.

Here's my thought process.

I didn't mind the flop action.

I 3-bet the turn with 2 callers along for the ride who were most likely drawing. Seeing as the flush draw and the str8 draw hadn't completed I figured the turn I was still ahead. A flopped straight was a possibility, but I thought a 2-pair was far more likely from UTG+1. Once UTG+1 capped I did an "oh [censored]" and am starting to wonder if I am up against a flopped straight, but at this point I can still fill up.

The river hasn't changed much so at this point my plan was to bet and call a raise with the remote possibility BB might call 2 unwittingly and the fair chance I'm still ahead of UTG+1 since he plays who knows what. Perhaps I should have just checked with the intention of calling UTG+1? What I didn't forsee was BB coming alive on the river.

Certainly a spewfest on my part, and I agree that I shouldn't assume I'm ahead with all this action. I think once I got to the turn I probably could have figured out a different line. Any recommendations?

Nottom
12-02-2004, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure how often you will win this hand, but I'm not sure if there is anywhere you can get away either.

The only thing I would really do differently is not bet on the river after being capped on the turn, but it looks like BB and UTG are gonna cap it there anyway.

BB waking up makes it look a lot like he likes his hand, but he played it really goofy if he had a straight since he raised the flop but then check-calls the turn before waking up again on the river. There is certainly a good enough chance you are against something like K9 and A9 here that you have to call.

Flop is standard, the turn 3-bet seems standard as well with 2 callers giving you some overlay for when you are behind.

me454555
12-02-2004, 04:40 PM
The flop looks good but with such a scary board, why keep raising the turn. The pot is way too big for you to get away from that hand but once you get raised on the turn after capping the flop, theres a good chance your up against a higher set or flopped strait.

I probobly would have checked the river and if it was 2 back to me, I'd consider folding, but probobly still call.

MoreWineII
12-02-2004, 04:52 PM
I was going to say I wouldn't 3-bet the turn, but you describe UTG+1 as a nut so maybe I am.

My panties might be on too tight and I absolutely hate checking a set on the river, but I think I'm check/calling there.

Fat Nicky
12-02-2004, 04:53 PM
My thoughts:

Pre-flop: Raise! 5 have limped, raise for value to get an extra bet in the pot from each of them.

Flop: Definitly cap.

Turn: There's a good chance UTG+1 just caught As up, he could have 9s and 8s, he's so aggro, who knows. Capping is fine here too IMO.

River: BB calling station woke up, can't be too good, but he could also have 2 pair. I don't like seeing this capped, but I also won't lay down a set against these players.

runa
12-02-2004, 05:07 PM
With 66 in a large field it usually only plays for set value, and it will hit the flop 1 out of 7 times? Is raising for value your standard play PF? With how many callers and why?