PDA

View Full Version : I must live where palm trees are

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 03:31 AM
I would sell my soul to live in So Cal, Hawaii, or Florida, so if you live there, I hope you thank god every day you wake up and can actually tell its day-time. I swear, if I ever make enough money at poker, I'm moving to San Diego immediately. Palm trees soothe me and the god damn winters up here are rediculous. I need sunshine. bye.

thatpfunk
12-02-2004, 03:32 AM
No complaints about San Diego, but its been a little cold this winter... I have to put on a sweatshirt when I go outside at night sometimes /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PoBoy321
12-02-2004, 03:34 AM
Personally, as much as I hate the fact that it's pitch dark outside at 5:30, I don't know if I'd be able to deal with wearing a t-shirt on christmas. It's December. It's supposed to be cold and dark and depressing.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2004, 03:35 AM
where do you live?

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 03:35 AM
Portland, OR

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2004, 03:45 AM
oh, well Portland is sort of like a crappier version of Seattle.

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 03:47 AM
funny, we say the same think about your crappy city. Have some more suicides... oh wait, you're already leading the country.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2004, 03:50 AM
eh, better than having dirty hippies all over the place.

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 03:51 AM
yea too bad we can't combine the two.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2004, 03:54 AM
yeah.

BTW, Portland is a nice city, I like the Seattle area more though. I have a lot of friends and family in Portland.

AncientPC
12-02-2004, 04:33 AM
And here my gf and I are thinking how nice it'd be to move to Portland / Seattle. It's west coast without having to be Cali.

NLSoldier
12-02-2004, 06:06 AM
I thought the same thing. So I chose to go to school in San Diego for reasons that were about 90% weather related. So far it has been pretty awesome compared to MN, but not quite the paradise I had my hopes set on. It still gets dark pretty early and still gets a little cool at night. But I hear its been abnormally cold lately so maybe thats part of the problem.

BTW, every day while I'm walking to class I thank god that its sunny out and I am wearing a T-shirt instead of bundled up trying not to freeze to death in Minnesota. Does that count?

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 09:39 AM
...I'm still lovin' it here. But you should know that state law limits poker to a $2 max bet so all the tables are $1/$2. I lived in San Diego for 2 1/2 years when I was younger and loved it as well.

Rushmore
12-02-2004, 10:29 AM
I'm running out the door to get to the beach right now, so I haven't read any of the other responses.

But I'll tell you what, moving to Tampa is undoubtedly one of the top three smartest things I've ever done.

You're right about palm trees and sunshine. They're comforting. Living here, you almost feel like you're somehow cheating. I keep thinking someone's going to walk up, tap me on the shoulder, and say "Excuse me, you know you're not allowed to be here, right? Move along now, back to Connecticut. Yes, I know it's a stupid place to live, but that's what YOU get. Go back to D.C. or Milwaukee or New Jersey if you prefer, but you can't stay here. I mean, look around; do you really think you can just drive here, get a place to stay, and LIVE here?!"

Actually, that's exactly what you can do.

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE 65!!!

namknils
12-02-2004, 11:16 AM
This thread kinda depresses me, I would love to move to Florida or California too, but for some reason it doesn't seem like an option for me. Maybe it's all the family around here.

Yesterday morning I had to spend about 20 minutes scraping the ice off of my car and my wifes car. My car doors were frozen shut. Today it was just under 30 degrees on my way to work, and it hasn't even gotten cold yet.

I agree with PoBoy though, tshirts on Christmas would feel way off, but that's why you visit the family on the holidays, then you get the snow and cold for a week or two and your done.

ethan
12-02-2004, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I agree with PoBoy though, tshirts on Christmas would feel way off, but that's why you visit the family on the holidays, then you get the snow and cold for a week or two and your done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. In a couple weeks, I'm headed back to Massachusetts for Christmas with the family. Right now, however, my window's open and it's a beautiful morning. Maybe a little chilly by LA standards, but entirely pleasant.

That said, there are parts of this city that do qualify as "hellholes", and I've lived there too. (The sort of place where I step over the passed-out heroin addict to get out of my front door in the morning. No, really.)

If you're going to move to SoCal, make sure you pick someplace nice, but there are quite a few of those. I'm pretty sure I've seen the worst this state has to offer, and I'm not moving anytime soon.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2004, 11:56 AM
I tried to go to USD out of high school, but apparently I was either to stupid or my parents weren't rich enough for me to go there /images/graemlins/tongue.gif, lucky SoB.

SomethingClever
12-02-2004, 12:02 PM
I remember going surfing two Januarys ago down in SoCal....

But our summers are better here in Portland.

The key: Buy a winter home in SoCal; a summer home in Portland. And a high-speed helicopter to fly between the two.

Dominic
12-02-2004, 12:58 PM
what's stopping you?

I live in L.A.

Southern Cal, while not perfect, is a great place to live.

PS: I have Palm Trees outside my bedroom window and front door.

Senor Choppy
12-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Florida is a cultural wasteland, palm trees or no.

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Cost of living is stopping me.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey Dominic,
If I move down there, can I work for you?
-TSC

sfer
12-02-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh, well Portland is sort of like a crappier version of Seattle.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahahahaha

fnord_too
12-02-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Florida is a cultural wasteland, palm trees or no.

[/ QUOTE ]

St. Petersburg has the Dali Museum, that's gotta count for something.

jesusarenque
12-03-2004, 03:53 AM
Move to Acapulco, Mexico instead. The weather is better than in those places and everything is cheaper.

jdl22
12-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Went to Hawai'i last Christmas to visit my fiance's family. It was pretty strange. Firstly, about a week before Christmas we went to a Hawaiian civic club meeting/christmas party hosted by her grandparents. During this time there was singing of christmas songs among them "walking in a winter wonderland." We didn't quite get into white christmas which would have been too much for me, but I still found it funny. I'm from Western Oregon and it basically never snows there either but somehow it being in the 70s is completely different than the mid 40s and raining.

It's weird to be sweating a ton because it's hot and humid in late december but you get over it. It was really not a difficult decision to go back there this year. Last year we actually swam in the ocean on christmas day. It's pretty damn nice.

1C5
12-03-2004, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Went to Hawai'i last Christmas to visit my fiance's family. It was pretty strange. Firstly, about a week before Christmas we went to a Hawaiian civic club meeting/christmas party hosted by her grandparents. During this time there was singing of christmas songs among them "walking in a winter wonderland." We didn't quite get into white christmas which would have been too much for me, but I still found it funny. I'm from Western Oregon and it basically never snows there either but somehow it being in the 70s is completely different than the mid 40s and raining.

It's weird to be sweating a ton because it's hot and humid in late december but you get over it. It was really not a difficult decision to go back there this year. Last year we actually swam in the ocean on christmas day. It's pretty damn nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christmas is not the same without snow!!!

jdl22
12-03-2004, 09:27 AM
I've never seen snow on Christmas. I grew up in Oregon where it only snows in the mountains for the most part. I am a grad student in Pittsburgh now but I'm not around during christmas time.

jakethebake
12-03-2004, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Christmas is not the same without snow!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. It's better. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dominic
12-03-2004, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Dominic,
-TSC

[/ QUOTE ]

sure...you can be the guy who spritzes water on the naked bodies of the models so they glisten just right for the camera.

jakethebake
12-03-2004, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Dominic,
-TSC

[/ QUOTE ]

sure...you can be the guy who spritzes water on the naked bodies of the models so they glisten just right for the camera.

[/ QUOTE ]
I figured you'd make TSC a "fluffer"... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-03-2004, 12:47 PM
he works strictly with chicks you douche bag.

ThaSaltCracka
12-03-2004, 12:48 PM
I am PM'ing you my resume right now.

jakethebake
12-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Just kidding, TSC. Girl on Girl only?

ThaSaltCracka
12-03-2004, 12:59 PM
apparently.

Senor Choppy
12-03-2004, 01:19 PM
From moving to FL? I lived in Melbourne for a brief stint, and the cost of living was ridiculously low. About a year ago, I bought an 1800sf house with vaulted ceilings, skylights, etc. for 100k, which would easily cost 2 or 3x that in other cities.

Cost of living was probably the best thing about florida when we lived there.

M2d
12-03-2004, 02:24 PM
http://www.coffeetimes.com/snow.htm
you want snow?

Dominic
12-03-2004, 06:04 PM
yes, girl on girl.

I work for this web sight:

http://danni.com/