PDA

View Full Version : NINE-TEN suited UTG

nepenthe
12-02-2004, 03:05 AM
Typical loose table. No specific reads this time around.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: nepenthe is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
nepenthe calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, nepenthe calls, UTG+1 folds, CO folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, nepenthe calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, nepenthe calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.50 BB, between SB and nepenthe.</font>

BottlesOf
12-02-2004, 03:08 AM
I think you muck this preflop, I think you should raise this flop, I think the river call is one of those that hurts me, but if he's the value betting type, it could be a chop. Then again, b/c the reward is only half and it's a small pot anyway, this should be mucked.

Edit: Ennnh, I'm not so sure, it might be worth a call this early at the table, to gain a read on the opponent, show you can't be pushed around, plus he could be an aggressive type who would bet with a busted draw or a hand you can beat. I'm re-considering...

Evan
12-02-2004, 03:16 AM
I disagree with 3/4 streets. I think you can infer the rest.

uw_madtown
12-02-2004, 03:18 AM
Table would have to be particularly loose for Party 3/6 for me to play T9s UTG. I'd raise this flop, if I played it.

private joker
12-02-2004, 04:07 AM
Fold preflop
Raise the flop
Call the turn
Fold the river
Eat your vegetables

joker122
12-02-2004, 04:11 AM
you have a strong hand on the flop - i don't see what calling does for you.

nepenthe
12-02-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on this limit

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe

[ QUOTE ]
Call the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Ergo

[ QUOTE ]
Fold the river

[/ QUOTE ]

This is read-dependent

[ QUOTE ]
Eat your vegetables

[/ QUOTE ]

Before you cross the road look each way
And you'll get home safe each day

The guy had SEVEN-EIGHT of spades

GuyOnTilt
12-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Not on this limit

I sweated a friend at 5/10 and 3/6 for several hours last week. You should muck it.

Maybe

No, definitely.

Ergo

This is read-dependent

So what about when you have, oh say, "no specific reads this time around," then what do you do?

I'm with the others; I like one street.

GoT

Chris Daddy Cool
12-02-2004, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop
Raise the flop
Call the turn
Fold the river
Eat your vegetables

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on everything but the vegetables part.

sfbruin
12-02-2004, 05:47 PM
if the the table is passive pre-flop call is fine, i play this 75% time here and am doing very well w/ T9s. raise the flop though. you've got a pretty strong draw.

Tosh
12-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Good post, this thread should have ended here.

MoreWineII
12-02-2004, 05:54 PM
How passive would the table have to be for you to limp with this from EP?

colgin
12-02-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop
Raise the flop
Call the turn
Fold the river
Eat your vegetables

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect analysis, especially the vegetables part. People simply don't eat enough of them.

nepenthe
12-02-2004, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is read-dependent

So what about when you have, oh say, "no specific reads this time around," then what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I didn't include in the initial post for fear of inducing result-oriented bias was the distinct hesitance I sensed from the guy at the river. My possibilities of being good increased in my mind from 10% to around 25%.

Obviously the default play on the flop is to raise, but I often don't post about default plays because, well, they're obvious. I am going with the assumption that no flopped ace is folding this flop, turn, or river unless the board gets really ugly (i.e. 4-flush of which the ace-holder has none and there is plenty of action). The board is fairly draw-free except for the obvious flush. The guy betting out probably has an Ace, a 9, another flush draw (less likely) or some other pair/PP. Will someone with a hand like J /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif or Q /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif call a bettor and a caller in this small pot for one when he would have folded for two? Will someone with Ace-rag raise a bettor and caller when it's one to him when he would have cold-called two? As a general proposition, is it better to induce obviously correct folds or slightly less incorrect, albeit still incorrect, calls?

I understand that a flop raise, which I would almost always make in spots similar to this one, is supposed to either build the pot with the likely best draw, or knock out non-Ace overcards and hopefully gain position and perhaps even get a free showdown yadda yadda yadda. But the pot is small and against any hand worth staying in for multiple bets on this flop, I may have fewer outs than I think. Besides, there's always the turn.