PDA

View Full Version : Bird Watching (Eagle check-up): Everday Overcard Hands

MAxx
12-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Re: My eagle post over a week ago.

I decided to get back to the full rings again to focus on my passiveness postflop. At the suggestion of some excellent posters, I realized my low AGF was probably due to not leading out enough and check-calling to often. I believe some minor adjustments have already improved my game in both 6max and full ring. The purpose of this post is to present some overcard situations where maybe I should checkfold instead of checkcalling.

Hand 1:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

<font color="blue"> Checkfold flop or turn? </font>

Hand 2:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hero posts a blind of $3.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, Hero (poster) calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (7 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (10 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

<font color="blue"> Fold turn? </font>

zram21
12-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Hand 1: Check/fold the turn. It's hard not to let the fact that I know villan checked the river through affect my advice. On the turn you have 6 outs to improve. Without a specific read on villan I am assuming he is a fairly common 3/6 player so his preflop cap means most likely the best you can hope for is to chop if you don't improve. You need 6.6:1 in order to justify a call and you are getting 6.5:1. It's close and you might be able to make up that bet on the river if you catch, but I think you just let it go here.

Hand 2: Looks fine.

Mr. Amanti
12-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Hand 1:

i would not fold on the flop with two overcards and a back door straight draw, any broadway card besides a T improves your hand as the board gets even more coordinated on the turn then i would think about a fold

Hand2:

3 bet preflop

I can't see any reason not to in this case, if your AQ was not suited then maybe call but still this is weak play in my book

and then i would lead out betting on the flop

but maybe i'm too aggressive

bisonbison
12-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Hand 1: who is MP1? I ask because I think calling down here is fine against a lot of MP open-raisers.

Hand 2: who is MP2? I ask because I think against quite a few people at 3/6, you can 3-bet preflop here.

StellarWind
12-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Hand 1: Very hard to play this deal well without a read. Fold the flop, fold the turn, and call down are all viable strategies depending on who your opponent is. The obvious danger is AA/KK. The intermediate cards on the board create a subtle second danger of a set.

With no read I think I checkfold the flop. This cannot be very expensive unless MP1 is a complete LAG. Tangling with a passive player would be devastating.

Hand 2: I 3-bet against players that will raise with a substantial range of hands. Calling is OK if MP2 is passive preflop.

You do not have adequate pot odds to play this flop as a draw. The PFR is a giant cloud over your outs because it looks like he may have AK/AQ. You really need to fold here. This is especially true if your preflop call was a good play. If MP2 is worth overcalling on the flop, he was certainly worth 3-betting preflop.