PDA

View Full Version : Hold'em Poker by David Sklansky.

Chairman Wood
12-01-2004, 11:56 PM
I currently own and have read many times, WLLHE by Lee Jones, SSHE, TOP, HEPFAP (although I've only been through this once). I was curious to know what I'm missing by not reading Hold'em Poker by David Sklansky. Also, if I am missing anything, am I missing enough were I should not only read this book but purchase it so that I will reread it a few times? Could I get enough out of it by just either borrowing it from someone or picking it up from a library (not sure if they really have those books in the library). In addition I've had some friends who have started getting interested in learning limit Hold'em. Where would this book fall in line with the learning how to play good hold'em for beginners?

Chairman Wood
12-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Bump, anyone have any advice?

thirddan
12-02-2004, 06:47 AM
if you've already read SSH and HFAP then i wouldn't bother with HE...and for beginners i would suggest WLLH first, then move to SSH...I don't think HE is a necessity...

Sheriff Fatman
12-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Considering your reading to date then HEP isn't a necessity as its more of an entry level book (e.g. it explains the rules of the game at the beginning).

However, its generally acknowledged to be the first major book devoted to Holdem and, much like Super System, is a worthwhile addition even if much of its advice has been superceded.

I still have no hesitation in using it as a starter book for friends interested in taking up the game. Compared to TOP and others its a relatively straightforward introductory read (although the latest edition has many footnotes where the original advice has been updated) and it still retains a great deal of value for this purpose alone.

Sheriff

BradleyT
12-02-2004, 10:55 AM
My take on books is that they're only $20 and that's pretty easy to re-coup from the knowledge they give you.

Note - I'm talking about books that are known to be well authored.