PDA

View Full Version : Odds on hitting some type of hand heads up and three way

CASHIZ
12-01-2004, 11:15 PM
What are the odds combined that, Heads up either me or my opponent will hit at least a pair by the turn.

And correct me if I'm wrong but with us both holding different unpaired cards arn't we combined 1to1 to hit the flop.
What I'm trying to find out is that if I'm not hitting by the turn chances are that my opponent did.
Thanks

gaming_mouse
12-02-2004, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What I'm trying to find out is that if I'm not hitting by the turn chances are that my opponent did.
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You've asked a few different questions, but I'll answer this one since it seems you are most interested in it. We'll assume only that the board is unpaired, that you do not hold a pair, and that you have not hit by the turn.

52-4-2=46 cards left.

12 of those pair the board, 34 do not.

1 - ncr(34,2)/ncr(46,2)= .4580

So there's a 45% chance your oppo has paired

gm

Mike Haven
12-02-2004, 11:27 AM
i think a different but interesting way to look at this is by using a poker sim for the various combinations

for example, you will see that if you have A/images/graemlins/club.gifK/images/graemlins/heart.gif and the flop is a neutral 9/images/graemlins/club.gif6/images/graemlins/spade.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif then you will win the completed hand 52% of the time against someone who doesn't look at his cards before seeing the flop

if the turn is the 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif you will win the completed hand only 45% of the time against any two random cards

gaming_mouse
12-02-2004, 03:41 PM
I agree with Mike that knowing odds involving certain types of flops is more useful in practice.

The answer to your original question, while giving you a good baseline feel for this kind of situation, will not be that useful in practice. The actual board will give you much more information which it would be silly to ignore.

gm