PDA

View Full Version : Poker in Schools

River2Pair
12-01-2004, 10:28 PM
from Jim Rome (http://www.jimrome.com)

12-1-04

Poker continues to be wildly popular. Guys who aren’t that smart are thinking they can get over on other guys by playing poker. It’s on TV non-stop, card clubs are full around the country, and the poker craze hasn’t showed any signs of slowing down. Now it’s starting to find its way to the younger people.

Gambling groups are concerned that kids are getting the wrong message. Keith Whyte, Executive Director of the National Council on Problem Gambling says, “It’s fun, it’s exciting. It’s glamorized on TV and in the media in a way that other addictions are not. There’s the impression that through skill you can beat the odds. But randomness is always going to have a bigger factor in determining the outcome than your skill. And unfortunately, that’s not the message kids get.”

A number of high school students have started playing Texas Hold ‘Em. One high schooler from Texas who plays in regular games and during class says, ‘It’s better than homework, I can tell you that.”

Really? Gambling is more fun that studying? Are you sure about that? I don’t know. And you go ahead and use that philosophy and see how that works out for you. I think I’ll take my chances with the kid who is actually paying attention and studying, instead of the kid who is trying to catch a flush on the river.

The kid that figures out how to read and write is going to fare better in the long term that the guy who went all in looking for an inside straight draw.

Look, poker is fun. Poker is a game of skill. But if you are playing cards instead of getting your work done, then you’re headed in the wrong direction. Because, in a couple of years, instead of not finishing your English assignment because you were short stacked, you are going to be missing work because you called a check raise with a middle pair.

Have fun, enjoy the game, but understand that this is not a great career choice. Unless you’re one of those math geeks from MIT, playing cards for a living is probably not a great career choice.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you’re one of those math geeks from MIT, playing cards for a living is probably not a great career choice.

[/ QUOTE ] Best part of the article. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

River2Pair
12-01-2004, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you’re one of those math geeks from MIT, playing cards for a living is probably not a great career choice.

[/ QUOTE ] Best part of the article. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement would probably be more true if he were referring to blackjack.

itsmesteve
12-01-2004, 11:08 PM
jim rome annoys me to no end.

i had a conversation with a couple friends of mine a few weeks ago after a long night of drinking (and some card playing), one of whom happens to be a high school teacher. he also felt the need to commment on the popularity of poker. he went so far as to call the rise of gambling/poker playing on TV a contributor to the downfall of society b/c of the effect it has on minors.

What we tried to explain to him is that :
1. yes, gambling can be an addiction like drinking/drugs etc. but similar to these addictions a very small % of those who experiment will become addicts. also images of drug use are as abundant (if not moreso) in american culture, than poker/cards/gambling.

2. Gambling/Drinking/Drugs are not inherently bad. they become bad when people have nothing else in their lives that provide them with similar "highs" or good feelings and therefore the "vice" becomes the be all/end all of that persons life. that is the problem. people don't feel good about themselves or the things they do. perhaps the child who doesn't want to do his homework in favor of playing cards has never recieved any positive reinforcement for doing homework or doing well in school but sees $$ to be made (or has made $$) playing cards. which would any of us choose. the problem isn't poker's popularity, its the lack of anything else that appeals to this child.

Finally, for some people, playing cards and gambling can be a prodcutive and successful career. Granted, this is for a minority of people, but who's to say that one kid isn't a member of said minority.

Shilly
12-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Is it just me, or is everyone sick of reading bunk articles by people that have absolutely no clue what they are talking about?

PoBoy321
12-02-2004, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I’ll take my chances with the kid who is actually paying attention and studying, instead of the kid who is trying to catch a flush on the river.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
Because, in a couple of years, instead of not finishing your English assignment because you were short stacked, you are going to be missing work because you called a check raise with a middle pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, if you're trying to catch flushes on the river, or calling check raises with middle pair, you're gonna go broke. If you're doing these things and trying to make a living playing poker, you need to find a new line of work. For the rest of us who understand odds and game theory, play on.

River2Pair
12-02-2004, 04:18 PM
JIM

I AM SO SICK OF POKER. IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYTIME I TURN ON THE TV POKER. IS ON. IT SUCKS & I AM TIRED OF SEEING IT EVERYWHERE.

SIGNED

THE JUICE

AARON
SAN ANTONIO
_____

Jim,

I will bet you my lunch money that gambling has no ill effects on kids.

Lee-Detroit
_____

Getting hammered in the bleachers is better than sitting in a cubicle all day.

Sincerely,

Cubs Fans

Mike in Madison
_____

Jellybeans ARE better than broccoli.

Sincerely

Tony Gwynn
_____

Dear Jim,

What's wrong with poker during class? In math we learned that catching a gut-shot straight on the river has odds of 62 to 1. Math theory mastered.

Sincerely,

Guys in Texas

(Dave near Milw)
_____

Jim,

How many of those high school dorks do you think wear sunglasses so their buddies can't read their crafty moves?

Andy in Iowa City

_____

There is nothing wrong with kids playing poker. They are learning math and psychology.

-That fat guy with the colored sunglasses

[Jim's reaction: "That fat guy with the colored sunglasses? That really narrows it down."]

Aces McGee
12-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Jim Rome is a total douchebag, but it's kind of hard to argue with his main points. If high school kids are blowing off their schoolwork to play cards, that's bad. If a whole bunch of 18-24 year olds think they can make a living playing cards so they don't worry about other career stuff, that's bad too. Sure, it works for some, but not the majority who think they could do it or want to do it.

-McGee

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jim Rome is a total douchebag, but it's kind of hard to argue with his main points. If high school kids are blowing off their schoolwork to play cards, that's bad...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but no worse than if they were playing baseball, skateboarding or any other recreational activity. And don't you think it's their parents responsibility to do something about it?

Aces McGee
12-02-2004, 05:17 PM
I agree that everyone outside the situation overreacts to the "poker craze" and its effects on youths. I just don't think this particular article is a good example of that overreaction.

-McGee

daryn
12-02-2004, 05:21 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
If a whole bunch of 18-24 year olds think they can make a living playing cards so they don't worry about other career stuff, that's bad too.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha. bad for whom???

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If a whole bunch of 18-24 year olds think they can make a living playing cards so they don't worry about other career stuff, that's bad too.

[/ QUOTE ]
ha. bad for whom???

[/ QUOTE ]
Great point, daryn! Here fishy fishy fishy...

Aces McGee
12-02-2004, 05:25 PM
I expected that. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-McGee