PDA

View Full Version : party 15-30 KQ against one opponent.

kanijima
12-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Dealt to hero K/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/heart.gif

4 people fold in front of me, i raise
one cold caller, blinds fold.

flop comes 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

giving me second nut flush draw and two overcards
i bet, he calls

turn is J/images/graemlins/spade.gif
i bet, he calls

river is 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif
putting four to a straight on the board.

i bet, he raises, i fold

thoughts and comments?

James282
12-02-2004, 01:41 AM
Check the river.
-James

Kevin J
12-02-2004, 02:28 AM
This is an interesting simple hand..

I get the follow through semi-bluff on the turn, but I think this is an instance where it might be best to check. This is a problematic board in that while you have a decent draw, you are very likely beat after your opponent calls the flop.

If he doesn't have a flush already, he could easily be holding the Ad. Otherwise, he could have 66, 44, or some other hand which he's not going to fold. This makes a normally strong semi-bluff a little less clear. Of course, he might fold pocket pairs 88-TT without a diamond, but can he have that? Most players would either re-raise pre-flop or raise the flop with these hands.

On the river, since your river bet seems frivilous (do you really expect him to give YOU credit for the str8?), this might mean his raise is even more so. He's either got 66 (my first guess), a str8, a flopped made hand, or he's got nothing. He might have a bust enought times to make 3-betting better than folding. But it's easier if you check the turn. Then the combination of him having you beat plus the smaller pot, make getting bluffed out less of a mistake. IMO-

mmcd
12-02-2004, 03:14 AM
I think checking the river is best here. I think you have enough to showdown, and you could just checkraise if he bets. I'd probably put this guy on a hand like Q /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif or maybe even A /images/graemlins/spade.gif X /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. That J on the turn might have hit him, but I'd think he'd raise right there if it did.

In any event, betting out probably won't get a better hand to fold, and may get a worse hand to raise. I think checking with the intention of raising a bet is better here.

When you bet on the turn, I take it you were value betting rather than semi-bluffing?