PDA

View Full Version : 10 Week Challenge : Week 4

GuyOnTilt
12-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Hey guys,

Like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I was taking Thanksgiving week off and flying up to have the holidays with my folks. So week 4 was actually two weeks ago for me, which means I don't remember too much besides what my records tell me, so this might be a short update.

I got off to a good start in all regards. Day 1 had me working 7 and a half hours, finishing up $3,418, and spending $0. Day 2 I logged another 6 hours, netted $1,034, and still spent nothing. This was only the second time I'd logged 6 hours on back to back days, so it felt nice. The first day, I played 6 tables and ran extremely well obviously. By lunch, I was up 100 BB's on one table, which had only happened to me once before. I was down overall on all the rest, but still up 50 BB's or so overall and felt like I was playing exceptionally well. Depsite that though, I wanted to take lunch, so I talked my roommate into taking a break and grabbing some food and had logged off all my tables and walked around to his desk to watch him finish up a couple more hands on his tables before his blinds came around.

He only has two or three tables still open, and he's dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the CO on one of them. 3 limpers to him and he raises. BB calls, limpers call.

Flop comes: A /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, EP bets, one limper calls. Hero raises, BB folds, EP calls, Caller calls. 3 players.

Turn comes: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to hero who bets. EP calls, Caller folds. Headsup.

River comes: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

EP checks, Hero bets, EP raises. At this point I made some laughing comment and started walking away, assuming he knew what to do. Two seconds later, he tells me his opponent had two pair. I'm like, well yeah, either that or a straight. He's like, no, he showed A7. I turn around and give him a weird look. "You CALLED?! You did not just call that." "Yeah, I called." "Why?" "Cause the pot was big enough." "No it wasn't." This went on for only another few seconds before I won him over to the dark side and got him to agree that calling sucks.

Day 3 was an off day, but Day 4 had me roaring back with a huge total of 3 woring hours. I was down $937 and spent $35, probably on lunch. My roommate and I don't do the whole split the check thing when we go out to eat together, so this could only mean that I lost the pre-meal game of foosball. We used to just kind of have one of us pick up the bill, not really taking turns or anything, but now we play a game of foosball to 10, him spotting me one point, and the loser pays. Anyway, hand of the day:

I'm dealt A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif in EP. I open-raise, an unremarkable MP cold-calls, a too loose CO cold-calls, and the SB calls. 4 players to the flop.

Flop comes: K /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, I bet, MP raises. Folded back to me and I 3-bet, MP calls. Headsup.

Turn comes: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Bet, call.

River comes: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check planning to raise, and I think betting here sucks.

Days 5-7 I don't remember a thing, but my records show I logged 10.5 hours, was up $9,895.50, and didn't spend a dime, which of course means I kicked ass in foosball 'cause we almost never eat in.

Thanksgiving break week was sweet btw, thanks for asking. I flew up Tuesday morning and spent a couple days with my folks, did the whole Thanksigiving thing, and got to catch up with them and my two sisters, which was nice. Then I spent the rest of my trip up there staying at friends' places and going out with them. I did play 2 sessions of live poker with a friend. The first time we went out we sat in a 4/8 game; second time, 4/8 again before I got a change to a 10/20 game. I ended up having 2 rack sessions at all 3 tables, which was nice. The highlight of my trip was going to the Melting Pot for the first time. My friend Seth and I took out two girls and it was freaking sweet. Amazing food and a really cool place. We spent 3 and a half hours there without even realizing it. Highly recommended.

Results through Week 4:

Hours logged : 97.85, extrapolated 244.63
Money spent : $1,742.00, extrapolated $4,355.00
Money earned : $32,512.57, extrapolated 81,281.43

GoT

bicyclekick
12-01-2004, 09:14 PM
interesting hand 1. I have to think about it more, but I think you're right and in hte situation i'm not sure what i would have done.

snowbank
12-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Do you have a financial planner to help you with all of your income from poker? What are you doing with all of your "extra" money?(extra=not needed for bankroll or expenses)

partygirluk
12-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Why is C/R the river in the AA hand so much better than betting?

sublime
12-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Why is C/R the river in the AA hand so much better than betting?

well in my simpleton view, villian will fold a busted flsuh draw and bet a king/mid PP. i cant see how betting out "sucks" though.

joker122
12-02-2004, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two seconds later, he tells me his opponent had two pair. I'm like, well yeah, either that or a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is 56 or JT at all possible?

1800GAMBLER
12-02-2004, 01:25 AM
I very much agree with hand one, but i very much disagree with hand two, in that 'betting out sucks' you'll be very very much surprised at how much KJ doesn't value bet the river here, this all been seen from experience of missing these bets. Also hands like 99 TT (before others ask, yes these hands have been known to raise that k high flop) are possible hands here and almost surely will check behind while they would have called a bet. So yea, i'm not saying the checkraise sucks but betting out doesn't suck either. It's close and if i was vs a player with stats like 30% VP$IP and 10% PFR i'd def. make that river c/r.

Yobz
12-02-2004, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The highlight of my trip was going to the Melting Pot for the first time. My friend Seth and I took out two girls and it was freaking sweet. Amazing food and a really cool place. We spent 3 and a half hours there without even realizing it. Highly recommended.

[/ QUOTE ]

That place is nice as hell. There isn't one close to me but when I fly down to visit my gf in Houston we go there all the time (we go to college together but visit each other during the breaks).

Anyway, I like the river fold in hand 1 but I think at micro/small stakes you would have to call...or at least Ed would say you have to call /images/graemlins/smile.gif (getting 13-1, are you sure your beat 93% of the time?)

jfresh
12-02-2004, 03:29 AM
you are probably beat close to 90% of the time this happens, but i would think folding to a not-so-scary river looks bad for your image, no? people might take random shots at you on the river then later i would think. but you are the one winning $900/hr for the past 10 hours...

how often does your opponent bet in a hand 2 situation? sounds like an interesting play i might start trying it.

NLSoldier
12-02-2004, 06:31 AM
My initial reaction when he told me about hand 1 was that I would probably call the river too. But now I agree with the fold, using the reasoning that pretty much no other players will fold that river, so therefore no one is check raising that river with a hand that is behind AK, and hence: you can fold precisely because no one else does. Makes sense to me anyways....

GuyOnTilt
12-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Hey Jay,

but i very much disagree with hand two, in that 'betting out sucks' you'll be very very much surprised at how much KJ doesn't value bet the river here, this all been seen from experience of missing these bets. Also hands like 99 TT (before others ask, yes these hands have been known to raise that k high flop) are possible hands here and almost surely will check behind while they would have called a bet. So yea, i'm not saying the checkraise sucks but betting out doesn't suck either. It's close and if i was vs a player with stats like 30% VP$IP and 10% PFR i'd def. make that river c/r.

Hmm. I've pretty much had total opposite experience versus hands like KJ or KT. It just seems like they can't help but bet top pair/mid kicker on boards like this HU with position. Sure, I've whiffed more than a few times with plays like this versus top pair, but it "feels" like I'm showing a profit with them. I'll have to actually go check now though if you say they check through as much as you do. I don't think I give enough weight to TT and 99 here either, as you said. C/r'ing is definitley my default play here though if I don't have notes on them right now.

GoT

GuyOnTilt
12-02-2004, 06:08 PM
how is 56 or JT at all possible?

Because I never use the preview feature. /images/graemlins/wink.gif The flop was a 7 and the river an 8.

GoT

1800GAMBLER
12-02-2004, 06:54 PM
I thought some more about this play and i'm leaning more to it being the right play to c/r even with my experience of KJ checking behind.

The first simple rule is if they will bet and call the c/r more than 50% you obviously c/r. Yet this has two different factors, 1. hands like TT JJ and 2. the miss flush draw.

So the more likely hands like TT JJ are the, more you bet or the more likely he has the bust flush draw and bluffs, the more you should c/r.

With very rough mental math i think if they bet the river at little as 40% of the time with KJ we should be checkraising the river here. With experience/assumptions i'd imagine it bets more than 40% of the time.

apd138
12-03-2004, 10:08 AM
I would think making this play would also have the positive effect of letting you showdown for free more often.

stoxtrader
12-03-2004, 08:39 PM
my lesson from your thoughts on hand 1:

check-raise bluff the river more.

Justin A
12-03-2004, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my lesson from your thoughts on hand 1:

check-raise bluff the river more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh. His friend called. Guys like GoT who will actually fold there are few and far between.

Trix
12-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Thats what thought too as it sounds like he wouldnt call less than AA.

joker122
12-03-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but i very much disagree with hand two, in that 'betting out sucks' you'll be very very much surprised at how much KJ doesn't value bet the river here, this all been seen from experience of missing these bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

they only have to bet slightly more than half the time, and i think they do.