PDA

View Full Version : Overpair and a huge pot: what's the plan?

edthayer
12-01-2004, 08:30 PM
2/4 Empire
Hero has T /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif in MP1

UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero raises, folded to Button (LAG preflop, passive postflop) who 3-bets, SB folds, BB calls, UTG caps! (no read on this guy, he just sat down). UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop:
9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, UTG bets, UTG+2 calls, Hero raises, Button folds, BB folds, UTG 3-bets, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn:
4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG bets, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

River:
5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG bets, Hero calls.

Anyone use a different line?
Final pot was roughly 21 BB.

Wired Jokers
12-01-2004, 08:44 PM
With 19 SB in the pot, I call on the flop. Provided an overcard or a heart does not come on the turn, I raise the turn when UTG bets. This line best protects my vulnerable hand. (This line is straight out of SSH).

If three-bet on the turn, I call down on river. If just called on turn, and checked to me on river, well, that depends on the river card whether I check behind or bet.

But I'm usually betting. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

edthayer
12-01-2004, 08:58 PM
I think this hand differs from the SSHE example in that I am not last to act after a bet and a bunch of callers. If I raise here, I can drive out the Button, who very well may have overcards, and the BB (who knows what he has?).

The SSHE example tells you to wait for the turn because in that situation, you have no way to protect your hand. Here, I think a raise can help. Am I wrong?

Wired Jokers
12-01-2004, 09:07 PM
This pot is "very large". By the time the action gets to you on the flop, there are 21 bets in the pot. By raising, you are still giving button and BB 11.5-1 to call, more than enough to continue with overcards and gutshots.

Assuming you call, and everyone else calls, there are 12 BB in pot on turn. If BB checks, UTG bets again, and UTG+1 folds, your raise then faces button and BB with 7.5 to 1 pot odds.

I cannot protect my hand against flush draws. But this is the best way to do it against overcards and gutshots.