PDA

View Full Version : Super Wed is a speed tourney? WTF?

fnord_too
12-01-2004, 07:42 PM
bit of a rant, but wtf would party make there super wed limit tourney a speed tourney??? I was planning on playing the RV play the experts and super wed tonight, but now I need to rethink. Very anoying, first they change the friday special to NL now they ruin the wed tourney.

Nick B.
12-01-2004, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bit of a rant, but wtf would party make there super wed limit tourney a speed tourney??? I was planning on playing the RV play the experts and super wed tonight, but now I need to rethink. Very anoying, first they change the friday special to NL now they ruin the wed tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Having a $150 speed tournament is a bit ridiculous.

Firefly
12-01-2004, 07:49 PM
A limit Speed tourney? What the heck? Whose ideas was that? Ridiculous. Who would pay $150 to play in a limit crapshoot like that?

pokerraja
12-01-2004, 07:51 PM
I dont get it either. I just noticed it after reading your thread. Im not so sure I will play in it either. I have 3 free-rolls for supers that I can use. But, why in hell would party poker pull this crap? I'm starting to think that they just do whatever they want without thinking about its players. This makes completely no sense at all. If they want a higher buy-in SPEED tourney, they should do so without it interfering with the daily supers. i guess im ranting too!

adanthar
12-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Arrgh.

I keep saying this but no one believes me...these things are possibly the most +EV multitables on Party.

I admit I'm not sure how to adapt to *limit* speed. However, I'm definitely datamining to figure it out.

davidross
12-01-2004, 08:45 PM
That sucks, but there will be a big turnout for the $100 NL at 9:15 anyway.

RobSIegel
12-01-2004, 08:54 PM
it's freaking ridiculous. And would it kill them to add some more category buttons like they have for the single tables, so it isn't such a mess trying to sort through the lists?

fnord_too
12-01-2004, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Arrgh.

I keep saying this but no one believes me...these things are possibly the most +EV multitables on Party.

I admit I'm not sure how to adapt to *limit* speed. However, I'm definitely datamining to figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may try it based on your assessment. Gotta be high variance, even if it is high EV (the variance doesn't bother me, so maybe I should give it a try. I don't think I'll log the hands in my PT lim tourney DB though.) Still debating, will see.

delroylindo
12-01-2004, 09:15 PM
kind of sounds like fun to me. i usually dont like limit tourneys, but, i think im going to give this one a shot. feel like gambling.

RobSIegel
12-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Just be prepared for hours of oh-so-exciting stalling fun.

boedeker
12-01-2004, 09:25 PM
more like an hour and a half, but yes.

Zinzan
12-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Adanthar may be right that this game is winnable with the appropriate strategy, but as the appropriate strategy is stalling, it's just no fun... for me, anyway. Talk about a poker grind!

-Z

fnord_too
12-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Well, this may be a tilt move, but I signed up. I took two weeks off from poker (except for enough 5/10 short hands to clear my sign up bonus on empire) and tonight was going to be my triumphant return in my two favorite tournies. At least I know I won't be up til all hours even if I win the thing.

boedeker
12-01-2004, 10:01 PM
the appropriate strategy is NOT stalling. unles syou just want to get early money, the appropriate strategy is to get a stack that is large enough that you can attack people in the blinds that are all in for a significant amount with moderate hands like KQ and KT against random hands.

fnord_too
12-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Believe me, stalling was the last thing I wanted to see, let alone do. Out in 251. Saw a fair amount of stalling, which hurt me badly. I only had a couple playable hands, and only two I went to shodown with (1 I won and jumped way up, then I was pretty close to comitted when I got 77 in the sb later in a battle of the blinds, he had K6s and flopped two pair.)

I don't think I will play those again, the stalling is just too aggravating. They need to shorten the shot clock dramatically in those things, and penalize people who stall, like give you 10 sec and take time off your next action if you use more than 5 sec. Or give first to act 10 sec and everyone else 5.

I don't think those are bigger EV than regular tournies (maybe the NL are). In limit you make your money by pushing small edges over lots of hands, you just don't get nearly enough hands to let skill come into play here. Average stack size was already like 6BB 20ish minutes in.

adanthar
12-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Stalling is the right strategy at certain points. If you're a small or medium stack, stalling is certainly the way to go. This doesn't change between limit and NL; under the right circumstances, winning 6-8 random hands once in the money gets you deep into the final table.

The real question is how much attacking you can do as a huge stack and whether any ace, most pairs, etc. is the way to go or if you need a tighter strat. The other thing I'd like to figure out is how much bubble play changes because it's limit.

In either case, stalling starting just before the bubble is what you want to do in *most* cases, unless you are a huge stack of 4-6 BB+ or have everyone covered.

Stipe_fan
12-01-2004, 11:04 PM
I agree with you all. I also have three super qualifiers in the wait. I will definitely not play in a speed limit tourney. I think that 20 min blind increases is a bit too fast. I wish they would make the increments 30 minutes.

Oh well, I will definitely be in tomorrow's night super

Are you in, David??

Stipe___

ZootMurph
12-01-2004, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Having a $150 speed tournament is a bit ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a $30 Speed Tournament is ridiculous. They should all be $10. Why put $30 into one of these when you can just as easily buy 30 Lottery tickets?

Zinzan
12-01-2004, 11:31 PM
Adanthar, I looked for you in this tourney. What's yur party name?

-Z

boedeker
12-01-2004, 11:38 PM
i think these are more luck than a regular tournament, but i have also won 2 of these, and have had a friend get second and another get 1st. i think there is some definte skill involved.

Zinzan
12-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Watched the last four in this tournament. Crazy. Have to call with 23o in the BB and hope for the best.

-Z

adanthar
12-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Wasn't playing this one- I normally play speeds but wanted to hold off on the limit version until I could study it. Plus, PN doesn't run single table quals so I'd have to buy in or play a multi qualifier.

The data mining went well, though. The first thing I've seen is that the advantage a huge stack has is even more pronounced in limit.

tdp
12-01-2004, 11:50 PM
I watched the thre last tables,roughly 20 minutes.This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.The blinds are higher than the tall stacks.What do you do?Push with any ace?

boedeker
12-01-2004, 11:53 PM
your stack with relation to the blinds doesnt matter its your stack in relation to the rest of the table that matters.

jdbessix
12-01-2004, 11:54 PM
Got 5th. Nice 3400 payday but I think this is my last speed tourny. Whole damn thing only took 1:45. Stalling will make you crazy, just have to get cards early and survive the blind growth.

ilya
12-11-2004, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the appropriate strategy is NOT stalling. unles syou just want to get early money, the appropriate strategy is to get a stack that is large enough that you can attack people in the blinds that are all in for a significant amount with moderate hands like KQ and KT against random hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are correct sir.

ilya
12-11-2004, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your stack with relation to the blinds doesnt matter its your stack in relation to the rest of the table that matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

once again you appear to me to have hit the nail on the head.