PDA

View Full Version : Question for eLROY

08-25-2002, 06:52 AM
Hello eLROY,

Roughly a year ago you were posting about colluding as future traders. What did you mean by that? I remembered you got really flamed for it and some posters thought you were describing cornering the market.

08-25-2002, 05:33 PM
What is a low-frequency event? It's like...

I'll answer tomorrow or the next day:)

eLROY

08-25-2002, 05:53 PM
What I mean by this, is are you some poker player who, like, opened up an options account at IB with your extra $5,000 or something, and now you're your ripping through random trading ideas trying to find something that works? Are you in the position that you know you can beat people at poker, and so you think that you might be able to beat people at futures, too?

The reason I ask, is that $5,000, or whatever you have, might not be enough to learn by trial and error. Even if you are good enough to eventually learn the game, you could still blow out before then. Unlike poker, the markets have hands of all different lengths, and it takes a huge number of days to play even a small number of hands.

So, by all alone, what I mean is that do you have any successful trading friends, or anyone to copy? How are you going about learning how to make money trading? Are you just assuming that, because you're smart, you'll turn something up? Are you having any luck getting profitable advice asking around the web? Your options-trading question demonstrated that you do have something to go on, so I'm curious how you're doing?

eLROY

08-26-2002, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the response. Yes I'm pretty much alone...I don't plan to start trading right away.

Just graduated and I'm working on contract right now (writing financial software), so I guess it will take a 6-12 months before I build up a suitable bankroll.

In the meantime, I plan to learn about trading...right now I'm reading books from the library..I didn't find the web very helpful.