PDA

View Full Version : When does online software pick the cards ?

DaveMEL
12-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Here's a question I've been wanting to ask for ages - please forgive me if it's already been asked.

In a B&M card room, the sequence of the cards is determined at the end of the shuffle & cut. Thus, if you fold J9o before the flop and the flop comes T Q K you 100% know you would have flopped a straight.

But what about online ? Can you be as sure what you would have had ?? I think the intuitive view of >90% of the players would be that you could - but I'm not so sure. There's no reason for the software to pick the cards in one go up front - I would have thought it would go to its RNG and pick the next card "on demand" - just like a slot machine does. In fact, this could also aid security such that there's no way it could then be hacked to see what the next card would be.

So, if I'm right, this would mean that you can never tell what "you would have flopped", because if you called it would be another <x> seconds until the RNG did it's thing and thus an entirely different outcome (most probably) than if you had folded and the RNG picked the next card at an earlier point in time. And that could mean less stress when you think you missed something good (on any street).

Thoughts (or THE answer) ? It's probably in some site's integrity blurb somewhere - but I haven't had the chance to wade through it all yet.

Dave/MEL.

stinkypete
12-01-2004, 09:37 PM
i do believe they're generated "on demand".

in other words, if you get a bad flop, you can only blame yourself for clicking at the wrong time.

illunious
12-01-2004, 09:42 PM
I believe sites usually generate the entire deck before the hand.

It's a curious question, but caring about it is the definition of "results oriented thinking".

GuyOnTilt
12-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Hey Dave,

I don't know for sure, but I've always thought that each card was randomly assigned a numberical value between 0 and some really high number and the order of the deck was either lowest to highest or visa versa, which would mean everything's assigned before the deal.

GoT

gummy d
12-01-2004, 10:01 PM
I thought i read somewhere on here previously it was on demand, not before the deal. You might do a search for "online gambling faqs" posted by ms sunshine (i think) recently.

Icebee
12-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Some sites constantly shuffle others do not. You'll have to check each site you play on to determine how their PRNG works.

Equal
12-01-2004, 11:27 PM
The correct answer is: it doesn't matter. /images/graemlins/smile.gif