PDA

View Full Version : Gambling Theory in Ken's Final Jeopardy Loss

drudman
12-01-2004, 06:32 PM
The lady who beat Jennings I think made a big mistake in her final wager. She wagered just enough to go ahead of Ken by 1 dollar at his current total. Before she makes her wager, let's say she has three options. Bet it all, bet none, or bet somewhere in between.

She can't control what he bets or what he wagers. If she has a good read on Ken, she knows that he gets most Final questions right. Clearly, betting none is foolish because she needs him to a) lose and b) bet enough to put himself below where she is.

That leaves her with bet it all, or bet less than it all, but not nothing. In the second case, she must bet at least enough to tie him to avoid the pitfall of needing him to get the question wrong that eliminated option 1. I think it would be prudent for her to assume that he will not get the question wrong, based on our knowledge of his history. In which case, every dollar above going for a tie that she bets creates one possible case where they can both be right, and she wins. Which means betting it all creates the maximum number of scenarios in which she wins.

What she did is basically limit the number of scenarios in which they both are right and she wins to 2, when Ken bets 0, she wins, and when Ken bets 1, she ties (as good as a win in Jeopardy, but not when it means you will just have to face Ken again the next day).

For these reasons, I think that betting it all is clearly maximizing +EV.

In any case, she got lucky and Ken blew what I thought was an easy one.

KJS
12-01-2004, 06:40 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how seldom bet zero in final jeopardy. Oftentimes the 3rd place contestant has no chance of winning unless both their opponents miss, yet they also bet their whole amount, meaning they also have to get the question right to win. Must be a pride issue, because money-wise it's a foolish decision.

KJS

PhatTBoll
12-01-2004, 06:40 PM
There was a thread on exactly this topic a while back.

What you are not taking into account is that Ken never bet so little in FJ that he could have lost even if he got the question right. He always tried to put it out of reach. Just like in poker, your read is key.

JustSomeJackass
12-01-2004, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What you are not taking into account is that Ken never bet so little in FJ that he could have lost even if he got the question right. He always tried to put it out of reach. Just like in poker, your read is key.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. The only mistake (to optimize a chance to win against Jennings) was that she bet too much, so that if he missed and she missed, he would walk away the winner.

I don't remember the exact dollar amounts going into final Jeopardy, but let's say he has 14,400 and she has 10,000. As mentioned above, Ken was definitely betting enough to put him over 20,000 to guarantee a victory (no possibility of giving a "charity tie" with this guy...he was out to win). Know your player...jesus, the guy won 74 games in a row...can't you figure out his betting patterns??? Even Alex knew his wagers before he made them.

So he is betting at least 5601...meaning if he is wrong, he is left with 8799. She is foolish to bet more than 1200. (Right she has 11200 and wins...wrong she has 8800 and wins).

That being said, if she is going to bet more than 1200 than she might as well bet it all, to maximize her payday if she is right and if Jennings misses.