PDA

View Full Version : Filmie Films Rough Draft

Topflight
12-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Here is the first draft of my top ten Filmie Films.

Dr. Strangelove
Memento
A Clockwork Orange
Fargo
Citizen Kane
Donnie Darko
Being John Malkovich
Adaptation
The Graduate
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums

You can't just like these movies to be a filmie. You have to get filled with pride at their mention. You also have to put down other good movies that are below you, aka Bruce Almighty.

I had this first draft pretty much finished when Bruiser rattled off almost half of it then bashed slapstick comedies. I figured that was confirmation enough to post what I have so far.

I really feel that only a few of these are actually in the top ten, but the others aren't coming to mind. Help me gather the rest of the list.

Also, another good sign of a Filmie is a glowing aura of adoration for Stanley Kubrick and the Coen Brothers.

Lazymeatball
12-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Don't forget "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo"
Turbo's windmill made me laugh, then cry.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here is the first draft of my top ten Filmie Films.

Dr. Strangelove
Memento
A Clockwork Orange
Fargo
Citizen Kane
Donnie Darko
Being John Malkovich
Adaptation
The Graduate
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. This mostly just looks like a list of the weirdest movies you could think of. I underststand what your filmie thing is about, but I don't necessarily agree on the list. I think more along the lines of The Piano, and more artsy kinds of things than some of these. And more low-budget indie films.

Topflight
12-01-2004, 04:18 PM
That could be. I need examples.

I also want to avoid crossing over into the "I think I'm kewl cuz I like cult movies" club.

Which would be:

Army Of Darkness
The Big Lebowski
Clerks
Rocky Horror

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That could be. I need examples.

I also want to avoid crossing over into the "I think I'm kewl cuz I like cult movies" club.

Which would be:

Army Of Darkness
The Big Lebowski
Clerks
Rocky Horror

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a very interesting point. I might not have made the distinction. Are these people less annoying though?

elwoodblues
12-01-2004, 04:22 PM
You missed number 1 - Citizen Kane.

Topflight
12-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Equally annoying. Different way.

Topflight
12-01-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You missed number 1 - Citizen Kane.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's on the list, you just missed it. That may be number one, the list isn't in order yet. That one is especially annoying because I think people might learn about it in some class or something.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Lawrence of Arabia? From Here to Eternity? Dr. Zhivago? Probably some Hitchcock movie should be on here?

Paluka
12-01-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lawrence of Arabia? From Here to Eternity? Dr. Zhivago? Probably some Hitchcock movie should be on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes it sound like people over the age of 50 are automatically filmies.

sfer
12-01-2004, 04:35 PM
It might be easier for you to start a list of non-filmie movies.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes it sound like people over the age of 50 are automatically filmies.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not at all...Just people that are in love with "classics" that aren't really that good. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

But o.k. I'd add Eyes Wide Shut to the list too. It's newer.

Paluka
12-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Usually when I watch classics I can easily find elements in them that make them great, but overall I don't fully enjoy the experience. There are really cool aspects of Citizen Kane. Seven Samurai is amazing on some levels. But they don't really translate well into the 21st century. But these films were groundbreaking. Sure maybe today Ty Cobb wouldn't be able to hit Curt Schilling's fastball, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great baseball player.

beerbandit
12-01-2004, 04:40 PM
i guess im a turd

ive only seen meemento and thought it was a pretty sweet movie

cheers

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Usually when I watch classics I can easily find elements in them that make them great, but overall I don't fully enjoy the experience. There are really cool aspects of Citizen Kane. Seven Samurai is amazing on some levels. But they don't really translate well into the 21st century. But these films were groundbreaking. Sure maybe today Ty Cobb wouldn't be able to hit Curt Schilling's fastball, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great baseball player.

[/ QUOTE ]
They don't have to be old. This isn't an old vs. new thing. It's those movies, old or new, that were kind of mediocre that filmies feel they have to absolutely love, or at least pretend to love.

Paluka
12-01-2004, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They don't have to be old. This isn't an old vs. new thing. It's those movies, old or new, that were kind of mediocre that filmies feel they have to absolutely love, or at least pretend to love.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just making the point that the "filmie" classics shouldn't be lumped with the "filmie" modern movies that just aren't that good.

elwoodblues
12-01-2004, 04:44 PM
David Lynch has to make an appearance. Probably Blue Velvet. Also, you have to have a foreign film or two (maybe the three colors trilogy?)

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 04:45 PM
nice work Topflight, this is classic.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
David Lynch has to make an appearance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely.

Paluka
12-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Is Amelie a filmie film? It is one of my favorites.

Topflight
12-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Note:

It's ok to enjoy some Filmie Films, even talk about them. The difference is that a when a Filmie talks about these movies, it's as if they want their conversation to be overheard. Almost as if the only reason they are talking about the movie is so that others know they talk about it.

Topflight
12-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Another Note:

Most opinions spewed from the mouth of a Filmie are unoriginal. They are a collection of regurgetated information from some head Filmie somewhere else. All the Filmies attach themselves to this opinion and by knowing and spouting this opinion all over the place they officially maintain membership in the secret filmie society.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 05:00 PM
I think most filmies are sheep that are drawn to films because they feel like they need to like them to consider themselves film snobs, with high tuned senses of humor, with a vast knowledge of character and plot development.

"oh I loved that film, that Abraham Lowjob lead us along on a amazing story, making us care about the characters all the way along, truely a mastery of film work. Many casual film goers may not notice the references and jokes pertaining to (indie film maker)Stu Ungers 'Voyage to Air', a pure joy"

blah blah blah, typical filmie and idiot critic review that you see everywhere. I actually know a guy who wanted to be a movie reviewer, then he realized reviewing movies and being like that actually made him enjoy movies less. I am sorry, but if someone can't go see a popcorn movie like National Treasure and enjoy it for its absurdness and overall fun, then you probably shouldn't watch movies.

Topflight
12-01-2004, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amelie could be one. I will have to consult some filmies for their opinion. (I will ask if they like it)

There is nothing wrong with liking Filmie Films though, usually they are pretty good on some level. Many of them are even great. You are defined as a Filmie by the reasons you like the movie, and the way you go about discussing it.

If you love it that others in the conversation hate it, you are likely to be a filmie and are getting some weird sense of pride for being intellectual enough to like it.

If you just genuinely like a movie cuz you like it, you don't qualify for the SFS.

sfer
12-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Then shouldn't this thread be scrapped in favor of one called, "These people are phonies."

M2d
12-01-2004, 05:12 PM
David Lynch put Naomi Watts and Laura Harring together in a girl on girl nude scene not once, but twice. He has a "get out of jail (or negative list) card" from me.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
David Lynch put Naomi Watts and Laura Harring together in a girl on girl nude scene not once, but twice. He has a "get out of jail (or negative list) card" from me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now see that's o.k. You can like the movie for girl on girl, but if you start trying to spout some crap about the importance of this film for pointing out the social underpinnings of lesbianism in modern society, you're a filmie.

fnord_too
12-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Bah, all too famous. Filmie movies should be more obscure, like "Burn" or "The 400 Blows".

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bah, all too famous. Filmie movies should be more obscure, like "Burn" or "The 400 Blows".

[/ QUOTE ]shut up filmie

Topflight
12-01-2004, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Now see that's o.k. You can like the movie for girl on girl, but if you start trying to spout some crap about the importance of this film for pointing out the social underpinnings of lesbianism in modern society, you're a filmie.

[/ QUOTE ]

werd

junkmail3
12-01-2004, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Dr. Strangelove
Memento
A Clockwork Orange
Fargo
Citizen Kane
Donnie Darko
Being John Malkovich
Adaptation
The Graduate
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums

[/ QUOTE ]

There are too many directorial repeats. I think there can only be one film from one director. His pinnacle. If you love the director, only his best should be chosen. To repeat a director is to be redundant. Why should 2001: A Space Oddesey be excluded? It shouldn't.

Here is the refined list:
A Clockwork Orange
Citizen Kane
Being John Malkovich
The Graduate

Hmm, only four.

Here are the reasons the others have been excluded:

-Dr. Strangelove - not Kubrick's greatest film (debateable that A clockwork orange also isn't, but we'll let it slide) Scratched.

-Memento - not nearly worthy enough. Shouldn't be on anyone's top 25 list. I loved it, thought it was great. But it in no way defines cinema or the likes there of. They caught a cute gimmick, played it out, and it worked. but it was a gimmick film. Nothing else is studying it's ways and gaining aspiration as a result. Scratched.

-Fargo - Awesome. Bears consideration. Will not transcend generations for years and years to come. It just won't. Scratched.

-Donnie Darko - This film was way too pretentious to be considered. At the outset of this film the directors said, "Let's make a really awesome movie, that is so deep and so 'hard to get' that it will only be liked by the most brilliant of people." And people who love this movie consider themseleves the most brilliant and thoughtful of people. But they're not. They're just pretentious movie hacks. Scratched.

-Adaptation - Liked it. See Dr. Strangelove. Being John Malcovich was just such an awesome/creative/breaking boundries film that this doesn't deserve consideration. (I understand that it's the writer who's repeated. There are too many brilliant writers to take two films from one. I would also consider Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind before I would consider Adaptation.) Scratched.

- Rushmore - The Royal Tennanbuams was better. See Dr. Strangelove. Scratched.

- The Royal Tennanbaums - This is so borderline but I just can't put it in.

-----------------------

I likely can't fill the voids I've created, but I'll try:

1. The Godfather - easy. Classic, mainstream, but way way way too good to exclude. No matter how many idiots like it.

2. Magnolia? anyone? One of my favoirtes for a very long time.

3. I would agree and say Amelie - may be a too 'chick flick' at points to gain consideration, but it was just awesome, everything about it.

4. This is Spinal Tap. Can we find a more pinnacle comedy from that time period?

Those are all that have a strong chance in my mind right now.

Others to be considered: Lost in Translation, Alien, Three Kings, Fight Club.

fnord_too
12-01-2004, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]shut up filmie

[/ QUOTE ]

What part of "BAH" don't you understand?

Ulysses
12-01-2004, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Memento
A Clockwork Orange
Donnie Darko
Being John Malkovich
Adaptation
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big fan of those films.

[ QUOTE ]
Bruce Almighty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce Almighty sucks.

[ QUOTE ]
Stanley Kubrick and the Coen Brothers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Kubrick a lot. Not a huge Coen Brothers fan, though I like some of their stuff.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 05:24 PM
oh, you listed some movies I had never heard of, I assumed you were a filmie, my apologies.

fnord_too
12-01-2004, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh, you listed some movies I had never heard of, I assumed you were a filmie, my apologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just like saying BAH! And I thought I was a filmie til the bit about wanting to be overheard. I can't see any up side to having someone overhear me spouting off about movies.

Topflight
12-01-2004, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are too many directorial repeats. I think there can only be one film from one director. His pinnacle. If you love the director, only his best should be chosen. To repeat a director is to be redundant. Why should 2001: A Space Oddesey be excluded? It shouldn't.

A Clockwork Orange
Citizen Kane
Being John Malkovich
The Graduate

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I just didn't know which to include.

The rest of your post defines you as a SUPER FILMIE!, and the reasons you gave for scratching many of the movies are exactly why they are on the list.

fnord_too
12-01-2004, 05:28 PM
You ever see "Miller's Crossing"? Probably my favorite Cohen Brother movie.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 05:29 PM
wtf would The Godfather be on there, wtf? Filmie films are like cult/quirky films that never really blew up, so basically anything with Bill Murray in the past 10 years.

Senor Choppy
12-01-2004, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. You should see City of Lost Children if you haven't already.

Senor Choppy
12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if someone can't go see a popcorn movie like National Treasure and enjoy it for its absurdness and overall fun, then you probably shouldn't watch movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Liking good films doesn't exclude someone from enjoying turds like National Treasure.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf would The Godfather be on there, wtf? Filmie films are like cult/quirky films that never really blew up, so basically anything with Bill Murray in the past 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kingpin??? Groundhog Day???

sfer
12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4. This is Spinal Tap. Can we find a more pinnacle comedy from that time period?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just learned that Spinal Tap can't be funny. It isn't a drama.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Liking good films doesn't exclude someone from enjoying turds like National Treasure.

[/ QUOTE ] precisely.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Kingpin??? Groundhog Day???

[/ QUOTE ]
Groundhog Day(1993)
Kingpin (1996), so close, how about past 7 years.

As for Kingpin, as much as I like the movie, it is the second worst Farelly brothers film, but very close to Stuck On you. Kingpin is pretty stupid, IMO.

fnord_too
12-01-2004, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just learned that Spinal Tap can't be funny. It isn't a drama.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Played!

Senor Choppy
12-01-2004, 05:40 PM
I agree that Rushmore and Tennenbaums shouldn't both make a list like this since they're essentially the same work of a director, but Fargo and Lebowski would be fine together as well as Dr. Strangelove, 2001, and A Clockwork Orange.

FWIW, my list of contemporary films:

Your Friends and Neighbors
The Big Lebowski
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Waking Life
American Psycho
Hurly Burly
and then a major dropoff after these..

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kingpin is pretty stupid, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree, but it's not filmie.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so basically anything with Bill Murray in the past 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Charlie's Angels?
Wild Things?

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so basically anything with Bill Murray in the past 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Charlie's Angels?
Wild Things?

[/ QUOTE ]Those films sucked, leave me alone too!!!!

The Dude
12-01-2004, 05:45 PM
I can't believe so many of you like Donnie Darko. That movie sucks balls.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe so many of you like Donnie Darko. That movie sucks balls.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. And I can't belive I'm agreeing with a guy that named himself after The Big Lebowski. It might be the only one worse than Donnie Darko on these lists.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Charlie's Angels?
Wild Things?

[/ QUOTE ]Those films sucked, leave me alone too!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
But they weren't filmies. And how can you say Wild Things sucked??? Denise Richards & Neve Campbell in girl on girl sucked? You're one sick puppy!

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 05:51 PM
you, easily the most sarcastic person on here, are taking my joke way to literraly.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 05:53 PM
sorry. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

John Cole
12-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Are you really preaching mindless consumption--or does it just seem so?

elwoodblues
12-01-2004, 05:55 PM
The easiest way to tell is if someone calls it a film instead of a movie. You can like all the movies on the Filmie list, but once you call it a film you cross a dangerous line.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The easiest way to tell is if someone calls it a film instead of a movie. You can like all the movies on the Filmie list, but once you call it a film you cross a dangerous line.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great answer. And IMO the same with people that refer to musicians as "artists".

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Is there something wrong with that?

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]It just seems so. The filmies don't out any more thought into movies than anyone else. They just pretend to. That's what makes them filmies.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]sort of like people that call pop, soda?

junkmail3
12-01-2004, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A Clockwork Orange
Citizen Kane
Being John Malkovich
The Graduate

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I just didn't know which to include.

The rest of your post defines you as a SUPER FILMIE!, and the reasons you gave for scratching many of the movies are exactly why they are on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! I win. The filmiest of all! I cannot be stopped! Oh, and national treasure will suck, and no one should enjoy it. I think staring though a kelidescope for an hour and a half would be as fun.

I know what responses are coming: "I refuse to believe that!"

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]sort of like people that call pop, soda?

[/ QUOTE ] In Texas they call them Cokes. What kinda Coke do you want? And in Texas the answer to this question is usually "Dr. Pepper". /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and national treasure will suck, and no one should enjoy it.

[/ QUOTE ] Its out already, its a stupid movie, but very much Indiana Jones like meets The Davinci Code like. A good family movie for sure, entertaining to say the least, good fluffy fun, now go [censored] yourself.

junkmail3
12-01-2004, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and national treasure will suck, and no one should enjoy it.

[/ QUOTE ] Its out already, its a stupid movie, but very much Indiana Jones like meets The Davinci Code like. A good family movie for sure, entertaining to say the least, good fluffy fun, now go [censored] yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'll agree to the fluffy fun stuff. already [censored] myself, now I have anothe question:

If you could only choose one fluffy fun movie this month or whatever, would it be national treasure?

do you watch that many movies in the theater that you would have to see that one?

(I do want to know if you could only choose one movie in theaters right now, which would it be (and it doesn't matter if you've already seen it/not seen it. Hypothetically you haven't)

JTG51
12-01-2004, 06:20 PM
I've always thought that people who use the word 'film' instead of 'movie' have the potential for filminess.

PhatTBoll
12-01-2004, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Amelie could be one. I will have to consult some filmies for their opinion. (I will ask if they like it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend who lives in Hollywood now and is trying to break through as a director. The last time I hung out with him, he insisted that I watch Amelie because I had never seen it. He considered it possibly the best "film" he had ever seen.

So yes, Amelie should absolutely be on this list.

For the record, I found it amusing, but wildly overrated.

Blarg
12-01-2004, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I love lots of classic films, but I also have a big time junk taste for monster movies. They don't have to be good ones at all. If they've got just a creepy scene or two, I'll remember the movie fondly just for that.

I also like a lot of Bill Murray films, even though they're almost never very good.

There's a very funny kind of reverse snobbery in lots of these posts.

Blarg
12-01-2004, 06:44 PM
I think Clockwork Orange is under-rated, not over-rated. I think Dr. Strangelove is over-rated and "filmie."

Citizen Kane is much more artistic than enjoyable, for me anyway.

The Graduate is always crooned about, but I think it's actually really a good watch, too.

Haven't seen the rest.

Trying to think of something to add to the list but drawing a blank, except for an off the wall one -- Master of the Flying Guillotine. That's a kung-fu nut's filmie film. It's supposedly near and dear to so many hearts and has a permanent place in them, but when I saw it -- and everyone seemed to agree with me at the time -- I thought it really stank.

But maybe even knowing what a kung fu "filmie" film is, is way too filmie in the first place.

Oh, here's a chick flick version of a filmie: Gone with the Wind.

I usually avoid chick flicks, but I know Julia Roberts supposedly dies in a lot of them. I bet a lot of those are filmies for their audience -- Mystic Pizza, Steel Magnolias.

Oh, I just came up with another one: Aliens, the second one in the series. It's often said to be better than the first, but I don't think it comes even remotely close. The dialogue stinks, and the final battle is pretty unbelievable. But it's the one you're supposed to like.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you could only choose one fluffy fun movie this month or whatever, would it be national treasure?

[/ QUOTE ] well, lets see, I'll do it for Dec, since Nov passed.... hmmm how about...Ocean's 12. To clarify, the first movie was good, but the plot was so absurd, how could anyone take this movie seriously. The new one looks totally over the top, but it looks like a fun movie.

BottlesOf
12-01-2004, 06:45 PM
That's just not true. Unless I'm misunderstanding the term.

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that "Citizen Kane" shouldn't be liked (or if it is liked, it's liked by people pretending to be intellectual) b/c people might learn about why it's important, in a class. Oh my god, the horror.

Without learning the historical context and technical innovations of the film (possibly in a class) there's no other way to appreciate these things. Theys aren't apparent from merely watching the film.

I understand the dislike of "Pseudo-intellectualism," but this thread leaves no room for the real thing.

junkmail3
12-01-2004, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] well, lets see, I'll do it for Dec, since Nov passed.... hmmm how about...Ocean's 12. To clarify, the first movie was good, but the plot was so absurd, how could anyone take this movie seriously. The new one looks totally over the top, but it looks like a fun movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could agree with this. Though a superfilmie I would put this on my netflix que.

BottlesOf
12-01-2004, 06:51 PM
I'd say a lot of people who like "The Godfather" and "Scarface" are just as sheep like as some of the supposed filimies.

Non_Comformist
12-01-2004, 07:12 PM
How could anyone not like The Godfather?

That said I didn't care for Scarface at all.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 07:20 PM
The fact that so many people like the The Godfather would tell me that it is in fact a great movie, not that people are sheep.

As for Scarface, I like it, but because it is so absurd and awesome. There are no positive characters and lots of drugs, violence and swearing. "you [censored] cockaroach!"

BottlesOf
12-01-2004, 07:34 PM
I'm with you. I like it too.

But I also feel there's a glorification, and that people see it with their minds made up, that they'll love it, b/c other people say it is awesome.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 07:40 PM
yeah thats possible, but awesome may mean different things to people. I would say its an awesome movie, but because of what I said about it earlier.

Blarg
12-01-2004, 09:15 PM
I think Scarface may be one of the most filmie films out there. Pacino clownishly overacts up a storm in this movie, and his acting has never recovered since. A lot of the stuff his character does seems unmotivated, and the whole movie can be very cartoon-like. This movie thrives and survives on style and noise. I liked lots of parts of it, but especially compared to the insane hype you hear about it lately, this movie is very overrated. It's huge with people who wear baggy pants so low the crotch is at knee level, and those who admire them, and a fun goof of a film otherwise. This one went into obscurity quickly and then came out of it, but it'll be going back again.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Scarface may be one of the most filmie films out there.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't follow at all.

[ QUOTE ]
the whole movie can be very cartoon-like. This movie thrives and survives on style and noise

[/ QUOTE ] duh, hello, why else would it be so 80's and awesome at the same time. Its a completely over the top absurdfest, wrapped up like a kilo of coke.

Blarg
12-01-2004, 09:39 PM
That's it. I've talked to a lot of people who completely over-rate it. It's not really THAT awesome. And seriously -- lots of people drink their Scarface straight up, without irony. All the baggy-pants set I know may think it's funny in places, but lots of them have told me they really think it's a lot deeper and more serious and better a movie than I think you can really say it is without kidding yourself. Some people hype it up one way, some hype it up a different way, kind of the exact opposite way. I think it's over-hyped both ways. This movie is a monster to a lot of people, a cult that went mainstream and took over, but its not really that good in any of those ways. It's definitely the over-hyped flavor of the moment.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 09:44 PM
if you wanted to look at the film in a way other than what I described, heres one. The movie ultimately is pretty damn sad. Here is a guy who makes something of himself, but he is so consumed with himself and drugs, that it ultimately leads to his ruin, really sad when you think about it. Scarface in a lot of ways is like Blow, but is ultimately more fun to watch than Blow, which totally sucks btw.

Blarg
12-01-2004, 11:54 PM
Haven't seen it. Usually drug movies are usually so damn smug, preachy and predictable. The only ones I ever liked or even wanted to see that I can remember were Drugstore Cowboy and Trainspotting, and I liked those a lot.

natedogg
12-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Citizen Kane is the all time runaway favorite for this topic. in fact, it's so over-done as the paragon of pretentious film snob hand-jobbery that it really doesn't even count anymore, if you ask me.

Your list is pretty good. The thing to keep in mind is what it is you actually despise. Many of the films listed in the thread are great movies, but the cult of snobbery and coolness that they create is insufferable.

I think a good litmus test for stupid film-snob detection is Silence of The Lambs or Die Hard.

Serial killer movies and one-man-army time action movies have been overdone to death but those two are probably the best of their genre and they are fantastic movies in their own right. If someone tells you they just LOVE Kubrick, ask them what they thought of Die Hard.

Die Hard is a masterpiece of moviemaking, it really is. And you can say I'm a filmie if you like I'm not going to change my mind on that one.

natedogg

natedogg
12-02-2004, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! In fact, probably the ultimate filmie movie is "Blow Up". Jesus christ.

Followed closely Le Weekend by Jean-Luc Godard. Trust me, if someone mentions Godard without grimacing, they are a filmie, hands down.

natedogg

thatpfunk
12-02-2004, 01:55 AM
In San Diego it is only called soda. I didn't even know people still used the word "pop" until I got to college.

Blarg
12-02-2004, 02:40 AM
I hated Godard but always felt so guilty for it, because everyone else was always working so hard on calling him a genius all the time. I have to admit that I did like his "Breathless," though. That movie was fun and different, and significantly was his first. So he hadn't had time to get all pretentious and insufferable yet; he just wanted to make a cool movie about a jerk. I give him credit for this one.

plaster8
12-02-2004, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo"
Turbo's windmill made me laugh, then cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. (By the way, have you ever noticed that when Turbo falls down the stairs in that movie, he grows about two feet?)

The once and future king
12-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Nothing like a bit of reverse snobery

nicky g
12-02-2004, 09:01 AM
These aren't filmy films at all (except mabye Kane and Strangelove). Film snobs frown on it, I assure you. Real filmy films are largely old, obscure, foreign, low-budget, shot in black and white, or a combination of the above.
These films all have a bit of a cult following, but are were largely major mainstream or breeakthrough successes. Filmies may like these, but so does just about everyone with more than a passing interest in film. And Amelie, come on, it may be in French but its a dumb feelgood comedy.
Some real filmy films are: The Beehive, Chimes At Midnight, Chunking Express, Mean Streets, Delicatessen, A Bout De Souffle, The Last Picture Show, Le Samurai, The Third Man, Don't Look Now, The Red Shoes. And so on.

From a borderline filmy film person (not really that into the cinema any more, and also a big fan of dumb films).

John Cole
12-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Is that Spirit of the Beehive? Erice's film? If so, then I recommend it along with Whistle Down the Wind.

nicky g
12-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Yeah that's the one. I've never seen it but my filmiest friend raves about it.

And add an Almodovar film to my list.

Topflight
12-02-2004, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Many of the films listed in the thread are great movies

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
but the cult of snobbery and coolness that they create is insufferable

[/ QUOTE ]

double agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
Die Hard is a masterpiece of moviemaking, it really is

[/ QUOTE ]

triple agreed.

This one reminds me of my "pop music" teacher in college. He would go on and on about the old school crooners. Then he would say that Nirvana had no talent and had no impact on music. In 5 five years none of you will remember Nirvana and no one will talk about them.

I guess he was the music version of a filmie.

John Cole
12-02-2004, 09:22 AM
You mean preaching mindless consumption? Answer: yes.

John Cole
12-02-2004, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It just seems so. The filmies don't out any more thought into movies than anyone else. They just pretend to. That's what makes them filmies.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you know this how?

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Another filmie has been identified.
[ QUOTE ]

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that "Citizen Kane" shouldn't be liked (or if it is liked, it's liked by people pretending to be intellectual) b/c people might learn about why it's important, in a class. Oh my god, the horror.

Without learning the historical context and technical innovations of the film (possibly in a class) there's no other way to appreciate these things. Theys aren't apparent from merely watching the film.

I understand the dislike of "Pseudo-intellectualism," but this thread leaves no room for the real thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Topflight
12-02-2004, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's it. I've talked to a lot of people who completely over-rate it. It's not really THAT awesome. And seriously -- lots of people drink their Scarface straight up, without irony. All the baggy-pants set I know may think it's funny in places, but lots of them have told me they really think it's a lot deeper and more serious and better a movie than I think you can really say it is without kidding yourself. Some people hype it up one way, some hype it up a different way, kind of the exact opposite way. I think it's over-hyped both ways. This movie is a monster to a lot of people, a cult that went mainstream and took over, but its not really that good in any of those ways. It's definitely the over-hyped flavor of the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a conversation I heard last year fixing a computer in a middle school:

"yo yo yo, miho... what movie you pick"

"I chose Scarface mehn, how bout joo"

"Scarface too, that movie is so badass"

"yeah mehn, that guy what his name Deniro is a bad mother fucker. Dah movie is awesome, but it's deep too mehn"

"yeah mehn, his name is Alice Paciano, but joo right, the movie is deep, but is also badass mehn."

The once and future king
12-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Also, that first list has no films with sub titles.

Anyone who considers themselves a filmy for liking those mainstream commercial films is at best a psuedo filmy.

Which makes them a wigger of a wigger. Can you get any lower than that.

True filmys like to talk about obscure art house films(Normaly in french italian swedish or norwegian and of course spansih) that 90% of posters on this forum will never have heard off.

Topflight
12-02-2004, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where the area starts to become grey, and is the reason for my thread. Sometimes knowing the historical context is important to fully enjoy a movie. I like to learn about the history or little nuances of a movie and sometimes find that I enjoy it on a higher level because of this. Sometimes I find myself really appreciating a movie because of things like this.

My goal is to find some sort of instant test that seperates the "pseudo intelligent" from the actual intelligent. Most Filmies are not actually very intelligent. They are slightly above average, yet believe they are well above average. They also have the annoying need for others to know they are intelligent.

Over the years I have developed a pretty accurate Filmie detector, but I'd really like to find a sure fired test. My thought was that I could make a list of movies that Filmies are forced to say they like. They would like every movie on the list. It would be unlikely for a real intelligent person to like every movie on the list, but a Filmie would almost have to.

I also never said that a movie shouldn't be liked. It all comes down to the discussion of the film. And not as much the actual discussion, but the emotions evoked by the Filmie during such discussion. The sense of Pride they receive from "educating" others. And their belief that the people listening think of them as intelligent.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that Filmies absolutely abhorr the mainstream. They can't stand fluffy movies that don't have anything deep for them to read about.

Topflight
12-02-2004, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
True filmys like to talk about obscure art house films(Normaly in french italian swedish or norwegian and of course spansih) that 90% of posters on this forum will never have heard off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these people are called vegetarians.

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It just seems so. The filmies don't out any more thought into movies than anyone else. They just pretend to. That's what makes them filmies.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you know this how?

[/ QUOTE ]
1) Because most of them aren't very smart.
2) Because they all say the same things about the same movies. There's obviously no original thought going on.

elwoodblues
12-02-2004, 10:05 AM
The Battleship Potemkin should also be added.

nicky g
12-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes.

Dominic
12-02-2004, 01:05 PM
I happen to think all of those films on your list are great. And I do love the Cohen Bros. I even love foreign films.

But I think of film not only as entertainment, but as art. I do believe a movie can be both, and there is room for pure "entertainments" like Bruce Almighty, but I think you're doing exactly what you're accusing so-called "filmies" of doing:

Putting yourself above others because you "get it," while others don't.

I understand your being annoyed at a filmie's snobbery, but you're doing the same thing now - only in reverse.

elwoodblues
12-02-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and there is room for pure "entertainments" like Bruce Almighty

[/ QUOTE ]

If Bruce Almighty is pure entertainment, sign me up to be a "filmie."

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I think of film not only as entertainment, but as art...Putting yourself above others because you "get it," while others don't.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're a filmie.

elwoodblues
12-02-2004, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How could anyone not like The Godfather?

That said I didn't care for Scarface at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that sentiment exactly.

The once and future king
12-02-2004, 01:14 PM
This thread is reverse snobery at its finest.

BottlesOf
12-02-2004, 01:31 PM
You're an idiot. Read Topflight's response to my post, as it's quite reeasonable.

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
No you're an idiot.

BottlesOf
12-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Exactly.

BottlesOf
12-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Nice. This is about the level of thinking you put into enjoying flims isn't it?

Oh wait, I used the word "film" instead of movie. That must mean I'm a filmie.

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They also have the annoying need for others to know they are intelligent.

The sense of Pride they receive from "educating" others. And their belief that the people listening think of them as intelligent.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that Filmies absolutely abhorr the mainstream. They can't stand fluffy movies that don't have anything deep for them to read about.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why I accused Johnny of being a filmie. His statements sounded very much like a filmie trying to educate everyone on why it's so important to know this stuff.

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice. This is about the level of thinking you put into enjoying flims isn't it?

Oh wait, I used the word "film" instead of movie. That must mean I'm a filmie.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually I only made the post to show you how childish it sounded. I'm rubber, you're glue...

BottlesOf
12-02-2004, 01:44 PM
You accused me of something, but you don't know me, what kinds of films I like, how much original thought I put into them or anything. This is why I called you an idiot. I don't like being stereotyped, so I apologize about the insult.

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You accused me of something, but you don't know me, what kinds of films I like, how much original thought I put into them or anything. This is why I called you an idiot. I don't like being stereotyped, so I apologize about the insult.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. Me too.

BottlesOf
Right, I replied to the other post about it. Sorry.

ThaSaltCracka
[ QUOTE ]
This thread is reverse snobery at its finest.

[/ QUOTE ]this from the biggest snob on 2+2.

BottlesOf
12-02-2004, 01:47 PM
But, I would like to point something out.

It is important to know that stuff about Citizen Kane, because that's the only reason it's a worthwile movie and why it's at the top of lists etc. If you just watch it, the same way you watch run of the mill movies today, there's just no way to know about technical/historical aspects of it--which is why people make a big deal out of it.

Now, if you don't want to know about that stuff, that's fine too. And if people look down on you for not caring, then they're elitist pricks (and I guess filmies too) but the fact is you won't get as much out of it as they do. Good? Bad? Who knows, who cares?

The once and future king
12-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Thats very true you peon.

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But, I would like to point something out.

It is important to know that stuff about Citizen Kane, because that's the only reason it's a worthwile movie and why it's at the top of lists etc. If you just watch it, the same way you watch run of the mill movies today, there's just no way to know about technical/historical aspects of it--which is why people make a big deal out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
You do know the more you insist on talking about this the more filmie you sound right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm kiddiiiiiing. Relax. No need for another war. I'm just messin' with ya. But that's an interesting point. The way I look at is that if that's the only reason a movie is worthwhile, then it's not worth watching because you could learn more or get a better sense of that stuff from reading a book. But that's just me.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2004, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats very true you peon.

[/ QUOTE ]Yup, us common folk like the dumb movies. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

BottlesOf
12-02-2004, 02:05 PM
You could, but it's fun to see it in action too.

No waring, just discussing /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(FWIW, I enjoy movies that are definitely big time "filmie films" and movies that rely heavily on fart jokes just as much, although for entirely different reasons)

Dominic
12-02-2004, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I think of film not only as entertainment, but as art...Putting yourself above others because you "get it," while others don't.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're a filmie.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're quoting me out of context - I was saying the original poster was putting himself above others, not myself.

But I'll gladly take the designation, "Filmie."

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BottlesOf
12-02-2004, 02:14 PM
When watching an underwater scene in a movie, does anyone else try and hold their breath along with the main character to see if they can hold their breath as long?

Does this make me a flimie?

BottlesOf
12-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Dominic, you have nailed my problem with this thread on the head.

There is room for disgust of genuine "filmies," (those who like to put others down for their tastes, feel they are better than others when it comes to moveis...) but bashing people who likes movies for other reasons, or enjoy art films etc., is the pot calling the kettle black.

Danenania
12-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Death to Smoochy?

Topflight
12-02-2004, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I happen to think all of those films on your list are great. And I do love the Cohen Bros. I even love foreign films.

But I think of film not only as entertainment, but as art. I do believe a movie can be both, and there is room for pure "entertainments" like Bruce Almighty, but I think you're doing exactly what you're accusing so-called "filmies" of doing:

Putting yourself above others because you "get it," while others don't.

I understand your being annoyed at a filmie's snobbery, but you're doing the same thing now - only in reverse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. You have to realize that I don't consider someone a Filmie just for enjoying Filmie Films or even discussing them.

I'm talking about a very specific type of person that I get annoyed with. I've tried to describe these people and the situations I find them in as best as possible, I'm sure by now most people can get a picture of exactly who I'm talking about.

If you enjoy the movies that's fine. As I've said, I enjoy many of them myself.

Maybe I am pulling some kind of reverse snobbery, I suppose. My goal is just to point out a type of character that I find running around my world that I just don't like, and see if others have that guy running around in their world.

Kind of like that fat chick I see driving around with an ice cream cone every now and then, this character just has a bit more depth and takes longer to describe.

Topflight
12-02-2004, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dominic, you have nailed my problem with this thread on the head.

There is room for disgust of genuine "filmies," (those who like to put others down for their tastes, feel they are better than others when it comes to moveis...) but bashing people who likes movies for other reasons, or enjoy art films etc., is the pot calling the kettle black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. My goal was just to define Filmie, not point fingers.

Non_Comformist
12-02-2004, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When watching an underwater scene in a movie, does anyone else try and hold their breath along with the main character to see if they can hold their breath as long?

Does this make me a flimie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe just weird?

BottlesOf
12-02-2004, 03:58 PM
I won't dispute that.

Oh come on, though, I can't be the only person who does that.

Anyone????

Topflight
12-02-2004, 04:19 PM
haha, do you whack off during sex scenes too. Or do you only get into it half as$.

Non_Comformist
12-02-2004, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha, do you whack off during sex scenes too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing weird about that......I hope

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha, do you whack off during sex scenes too. Or do you only get into it half as$.

[/ QUOTE ]
Speaking of that...Age of Consent with Helen Mirren could be a filmie movie. And could be cross-posted to the Women over 40 forum...lol. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

spamuell
12-02-2004, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it but not intentionally, I only realise when I exhale really loudly. But I don't necessarily think it makes films that unrealistic, there are lots of people who can hold their breath much longer than I can.

nicky g
12-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Yeah but they're usually fighting bad guys, lifting sunken warships off their trapped legs etc. While you're sitting on a couch.

John Cole
12-02-2004, 07:52 PM
You are young, aren't you Topflight? In time, you will learn to ignore those you believe to be less intelligent, cope with them, have fun with them--and I mean have fun with them, not make fun of them, enjoy their company or earnestness, tell them they are full of [censored] their ass from a hold in the ground. But, for heaven's sake, you don't need a test to identify them.

Why take umbrage with people who like to pretend to know more than they do? Accept it with grace. You'll feel better.