PDA

View Full Version : Most useful skill in a streetfight

Usul
12-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Given two men of the same size and strength what skill (martial art or other such as grapling, boxing)would be most valuable. I already know the answer, but I'm curious as to what others think.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I already know the answer...

[/ QUOTE ]I'd think it was a matter of opinion. But I'm going with fastest draw and best aim.

elwoodblues
12-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Speed --- to run away. You will never lose.

nicky g
12-01-2004, 02:01 PM
"I already know the answer"

Cool, do you know the meaning of life too? Tell us what you think and we can debate it, people will still have other opinions.
My opinion is that being an all round-fighter is important. Most crucial is being a crazy psychopath though.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I already know the answer"

[/ QUOTE ]That really was annoying wasn't it? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Usul
12-01-2004, 02:03 PM
I was being ironic. What I meant is that I already have an opinion.

One more rule. It's a street fight, not a street duel, so no weapons. Unless the other guy runs away, then you can shoot him.

nicky g
12-01-2004, 02:05 PM
In that case, the power to persuade the other guy to run away /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

ThaSaltCracka
12-01-2004, 02:07 PM
I think some sort of grappling/wrestling technique would be the best. The best technique in any fight is to have leverage/posistion on your opponent. If you can take him to the ground, its over.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In that case, the power to persuade the other guy to run away /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]I literally LOL at this one. Great post! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Usul
12-01-2004, 02:08 PM
For those keeping score at home, the score is 5 smart-ass answers to 2 real ones.

Lazymeatball
12-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Don't street fights often involve weapons? Non traditional weapons at least, like a smashed beer bottle, or that garbage can, or the occasional fire extinguisher. Define streetfight, can you jabe eyes, stick your fingers up his nose, pull hair and such?

Anyway, to answer the question, some sort of skill in grappling or submission techniques, because eventually this fight is going to the ground.

ToneLoc
12-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
'nuff said.

Usul
12-01-2004, 02:20 PM
You can jab eyes and pull hair if that's your thing. I think that's irrelevent tough. A well trained hair-puller will always lose to a ninja.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-01-2004, 02:26 PM
It's obvious from my extensive Street Fighter experience that the key is some sort of projectile action, be it super-stretchy arms/legs, some sort of fireball "HAIDUKEN!", or some sort of flying, spinning jump ala that helicopter kick that little chick does or the move M Bison does:
http://digilander.libero.it/calimerosegg/gallery/finalburn/ssf2t.gif

The key is keeping your opponent away from you and still be able to attack. The only way you can win up close is if you're huge like that russian guy, which was against the original situation, but even that's susceptible to a good ass-kicking via a well-placed uppercut:

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/reviews/gba/StreetFighter2/02.jpg

Rob Blackburn
12-01-2004, 02:35 PM
I would vote for grappling/wrestling in a no weapons fight.

Boxing a close second, after witnessing a 300+ pound football player who was my suitemate fresshman year get worked by a 130 pound Gold Gloves champ. He must have punch him 10+ times in a few seconds with such accuracy and speed to the face I was literally in disbelief, it was over before it even started.

Rick Diesel
12-01-2004, 02:41 PM
experience, those that have had their ass kicked numerous times are generally much better fighters than those fighting for the first time, regardless of training.

Rick Diesel

dogsballs
12-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Aggression.

Sarge85
12-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Ball Kicking

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ball Kicking

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let go of my purse! I do not know you!

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]LMAO! I had to read this post again! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blarg
12-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Timing. With good timing a slower, weaker person with worse skill can still come out on top.

I'd put reaction speed second, but only because sometimes it's you making the other guy react, not the other way around.

That's why I'd put starting speed third or arguably second. Not every motion is always a direct attack.

Ideally, if it were life in a perfect world, you use timing and superior starting speed and never have to worry about reaction speed at all.

If we want to talk about a "meta" skill of sorts, I'd have to say killer instinct. The ability to seize the initiative to do anything -- maybe even horrible stuff -- without hesitation to end things immediately. Grabbing a chair and smashing someone with it, lunging for a beer bottle and breaking it in someone's face, or just on a lesser level going for that punch that you know is going to do a lot of damage instead of the one in the gut that may make you feel like not such a ruthless effed-up creep, maybe in front of your friends or girlfriend or whoever. Sort of like a salesman's ABC - Always Be Closing...you have to be totally committed if you want the best chance of coming out of the whole thing whole. You can't fool around, if it's someone anywhere near your level.

Not that naturally exercising that killer instinct won't wind up in your being in jail for it. Jail might be better than the morgue, though, or being crippled or maimed.

KowCiller
12-01-2004, 07:00 PM
Best post. Ever.

LOL

KoW

wacki
12-01-2004, 07:08 PM
I've seen a lot of fights in my day, and I like these posts the best.

NickyG's
[ QUOTE ]
Most crucial is being a crazy psychopath though.

[/ QUOTE ]

ToneLoc
[ QUOTE ]
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
'nuff said.

[/ QUOTE ]

ilya
12-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Ruthlessness

Toro
12-01-2004, 08:07 PM
Rage because when you're enraged you're fearless.

jmark
12-01-2004, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ball Kicking

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker players always go for the nuts.

A_C_Slater
12-01-2004, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rage because when you're enraged you're fearless.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. When enraged the muscles tend to become stiff and less flexible. All Zen warriors know this is antithetical to proper self defense. I agree with the guy who say's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I am not a fighter, but I have seen enough of the UFC to know the Gracie fighters almost always win. Also, it is possible to be fearless and still calm.

The battle is won in the temple before it is ever waged on the battlefield. -- Sun Tzu bitch.

Toro
12-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Well it always worked for me.

A_C_Slater
12-01-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm not saying it wouldn't work. But it is not optimal strategy to be enraged in a street fight.

"Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment"-- Michael Corleone bitch.

JustSomeJackass
12-01-2004, 09:58 PM
If you saw the early "Ultimate Fighting Championships" you would know Royce Gracie (Brazilian jiu-jitsu, which someone mentioned) was unbeatable. He could neutralize the punching power of a striker with a takedown and submission holds (well, I guess in a streetfight you don't let the other dude submit...you would just break his arm, fingers, or choke him into unconsciousness. Gracie would have continued to rule the UFC, but rules changes designed to make the fights more exciting (one match he was in a close hold on the mat for about 15 minutes with very little visible action before he was able to force the other dude into submission---not good TV) caused him to give it up.

It must be nice to know at 6'1" and 180 pounds that you can kick pretty much anyone's ass (hand to hand).

I always enjoyed the all out street-fighting aggression of Tank Abbott...including his ass kicking of Monica's rich boyfriend (Favreau) on Friends, but he was only successful against guys that didn't train for that type of opponent.

Royce Gracie (http://www.roycegracie.tv/bio/royce.htm)

Usul
12-01-2004, 10:08 PM
I wrestled with Randy Koture [sp?] (UFC heavyweight champ) when I was in Oregon once. What people don't know about Randy is that his has a calcium defficiency and they had to replace his skull with a cinder block.

mmcd
12-01-2004, 10:09 PM
If we want to talk about a "meta" skill of sorts, I'd have to say killer instinct. The ability to seize the initiative to do anything -- maybe even horrible stuff -- without hesitation to end things immediately. Grabbing a chair and smashing someone with it, lunging for a beer bottle and breaking it in someone's face, or just on a lesser level going for that punch that you know is going to do a lot of damage instead of the one in the gut that may make you feel like not such a ruthless effed-up creep, maybe in front of your friends or girlfriend or whoever. Sort of like a salesman's ABC - Always Be Closing...you have to be totally committed if you want the best chance of coming out of the whole thing whole. You can't fool around, if it's someone anywhere near your level.

The correct answer.

A_C_Slater
12-01-2004, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you saw the early "Ultimate Fighting Championships" you would know Royce Gracie (Brazilian jiu-jitsu, which someone mentioned) was unbeatable. He could neutralize the punching power of a striker with a takedown and submission holds (well, I guess in a streetfight you don't let the other dude submit...you would just break his arm, fingers, or choke him into unconsciousness. Gracie would have continued to rule the UFC, but rules changes designed to make the fights more exciting (one match he was in a close hold on the mat for about 15 minutes with very little visible action before he was able to force the other dude into submission---not good TV) caused him to give it up.

It must be nice to know at 6'1" and 180 pounds that you can kick pretty much anyone's ass (hand to hand).

I always enjoyed the all out street-fighting aggression of Tank Abbott...including his ass kicking of Monica's rich boyfriend (Favreau) on Friends, but he was only successful against guys that didn't train for that type of opponent.

Royce Gracie (http://www.roycegracie.tv/bio/royce.htm)

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't show his win/loss history. Has he ever lost a match?

EliteNinja
12-01-2004, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can jab eyes and pull hair if that's your thing. I think that's irrelevent tough. A well trained hair-puller will always lose to a ninja.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

itsmesteve
12-01-2004, 11:17 PM
knowing the "touch of death" would certainly be useful. . .

but on a serious note i'm inclined to go w/ Tone Loc and Jiu-Jitsu b/c, if i remember correctly, it had a lot to do w/ pressure points and KNOWING not just HOW but WHERE to hit someone.

JustSomeJackass
12-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Not in the UFC...but I do not follow him at all and am not sure what other fights he has had since he left the UFC.

Here is a link to a breakdown of his UFC fights...He fought Ken Shamrock to a draw in a rematch of an earlier fight which was won by Gracie...and he beat Kimo but was unable to continue on to the next fight...so his overall UFC record was 11 wins, one draw, no losses.
Recap of Gracie in the UFC (http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/5389/octagon.html)

wacki
12-01-2004, 11:37 PM
I knew a guy that was into all that martial arts stuff and he was big on Gracie Jujitsu, Kempo (using stuff around you as weapons like broken pool cues), and one other art he referred to as the art of breaking bones. Does anyone know what that art is called?

JustSomeJackass
12-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Pankration
Art Of Breaking Bones (Greek Arena Combat)

vulturesrow
12-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Clearly Gymkata.

And its not even close.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/prowlerslim/gymkata.jpg

A_C_Slater
12-02-2004, 12:58 AM
Wow! I didn't realize ninjas even used sub-machine guns.

vulturesrow
12-02-2004, 01:04 AM
In Parmistan they do...

and seriously, why wouldnt they?

A_C_Slater
12-02-2004, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In Parmistan they do...

and seriously, why wouldnt they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, usually the whole intent behind becoming a ninja is that one can be an effective and stealthy assassin. To kill and retreat without being noticed. I think lugging around and firing off a sub-machine gun would be the antithesis of proper ninja values.

Where is Parmistan? Is it near Turkmenistan and Pakistan and all the other "stans?"

vulturesrow
12-02-2004, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, usually the whole intent behind becoming a ninja is that one can be an effective and stealthy assassin. To kill and retreat without being noticed. I think lugging around and firing off a sub-machine gun would be the antithesis of proper ninja values

[/ QUOTE ]

ok

[ QUOTE ]
Where is Parmistan? Is it near Turkmenistan and Pakistan and all the other "stans?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right around there somewhere.

Blarg
12-02-2004, 01:55 AM
They're famous for the Parmistan cheese you put on spaghetti. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Where was gymkata in the best martial arts movie thread?

jakethebake
12-02-2004, 09:47 AM
There are a lot of really good answers here, but I'm going with invisibility.

PuertoKid
12-02-2004, 08:16 PM
bad breath or bad gas