PDA

View Full Version : H/L Split Book Suggestions

kstamps22
12-01-2004, 12:43 PM
I am just starting out at H/L split, and I am wondering what are some good books for this game. Especially one that would line out good starting hands.

Thanks
kstamps22

Spidurman
12-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Well Ray Zee's 2+2 Hi/Lo Split for Advanced Players is the only work I have read on the game, and I can recommend it.

It doesn't lay out clear starting hands since there are a multitude of factors, but it does lay out criteria.

Nick_Foxx
12-01-2004, 01:36 PM
ray zee's book has a good section on starting hand selection for stud/8

if you are just starting out, you'll pretty much want to stick with hands that can scoop (3 low cards to a straight, 3 suited babies) and super-premium high hands (aces and rolled-up hands)

mike

Beavis68
12-01-2004, 01:41 PM
As I said in the books forum, Phil's book is a great place to start, and I would recommend it before you read Zee's book.

He discusses starting hands, and also gives the best explaination of low hands that I have seen.

kstamps22
12-01-2004, 02:11 PM
What about the Hi/Lo section in Super System? How helpful is it?

Hauser_III
12-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Super System discusses hi-lo without a qualifer for low, not hi-lo with a qualifier, like 8 or better.

dogsballs
12-01-2004, 04:16 PM
The hi/lo section in SS is definitely helpful, imo. It does deal with no qualifier, but it goes into some detail about starting hands for low, and their high possibilities, which is what the OP is after I believe. Just keep teh no qualifier in mind and it's good stuff.

Zee's book is good for emphasizing the situational nature of the game, but doesn't detail specific hand ranges etc. Once you know what are the worthwhile starting hands then it's all about your situation - are you against lots of low cards/against only one low and a bunch highs/who's being aggressive etc, etc..

jmho

Ray Zee
12-01-2004, 05:04 PM
ive found that by giving a list to follow leads one to never be a winner, as the list of hands never really fit into your present game. by learning approximately what to play and learning how to modify that to the situation, you become adept quite quickly at playing the right hands in the right spot. and thats what your goal is.

Andy B
12-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Ray's book is the nuts. Buy it already. I have found it applicable to all games from $.50/1.00 to $40/80.

I thought that the stud/8 section of Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros was decent, better than I expected. You need Ray's book, though.

The high-low stud section of S/S is excellent, but it's about the no-qualifier game. It's certainly worth reading, but bear in mind that it's about a very different game.