PDA

View Full Version : On the bubble, all in with a draw?

phillydilly
12-01-2004, 08:53 AM
First tourney post, so if its in the wrong format or something, my apologies.

ok
63 players still alive
top 50 get money, once you hit top 50, there is no big money jump until the final table
Tourney is in the stage where fight for the blinds is critical.

Hero has roughly t4500. Blinds are 400/800
Small Blind has roughly t14000

Hero picks up J /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif in the big blind

folds around to SB
SB raises to t1600
Hero calls
Flop 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB raises (dont remember exact amount, enough to put Hero all-in)

Hero????

My thoughts
Could be behind to a pair, could be a bluff, could be a better or worse flush draw. Assuming my overcards and flush draw are live, it's a coinflip. With 3200 in the pot, a 2900 raise, with 2900 to call, 2:1 pot odds look to indicate a call, on the other hand, I may be able to just hang around a little longer for a money seat.

Curious if you make this call or not. Also, would all-in preflop be a better play?

Geoff
12-01-2004, 10:39 AM
I think the decision was made on the call of his raise. Once you make that call you have 4ishx BB. I might have dropped looking for a better shot, 5 orbits. I like a bigger card than J Heads Up, but now I gotta push. Love to hear a qualified response as I am not.

betgo
12-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Since the small blind is a bigger stack, I would suspact a steal and push preflop. JTs plays well allin against a variety of hands.

On the flop, you have about a 50% chance against top pair, and your opponent may not have anything, plus there is a lot of dead money in the pot, so you have to call.

I wouldn't worry too much about making the money in a multitable, even with this structure. The big money is at the final table. In a SNG it is sometimes correct to play tight to make the money.

aceragclubs
12-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Yes, I agree that you have no choice but to push here. Sometimes it is hard to do it on a draw but winning that pot would be huge to help your chances to go deeper into the tournament. It is tempting to 'get into the money', but just getting into the money is usually little more than getting your buy-in back. Take advantage of other people playing extra tight, trying to sneak into the money, and fight as hard as you can to get to the final table!