PDA

View Full Version : I should slap myself for not seeing these movies yet

natedogg
12-01-2004, 05:19 AM
I have never seen:

The Blues Brothers
I doubt it can possibly be as good as its buzz, but 10 minutes can't go by without a reference to it if you're anywhere near the vicinity of a group of males, ages 20 to 90.

Slapshot
Apparently the funniest hockey movie of all time.

and, shamefully enough, I have not seen

Dr. Strangelove
No words can describe my utter failure as a film buff in not having seen this film. I'm a Kubrick fan to boot. I've seen The Killing, but not Strangelove? Shameful, utterly shameful.

natedogg

fsuplayer
12-01-2004, 05:36 AM
godfather 2, schiendler's list.

oh, and The Big Blind.

Boris
12-01-2004, 05:41 AM
For real you've never seen Godfather II?

nicky g
12-01-2004, 05:50 AM
There are people here wh;ve never seen Godfather I for crying out loud. I thought I was negligent for not seeing it until I was 17.

theBruiser500
12-01-2004, 09:54 AM
actually natedog i don't think you need to slap yourself for not having seen those movies

elwoodblues
12-01-2004, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Blues Brothers
I doubt it can possibly be as good as its buzz...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's better than the buzz. A slap isn't a harsh enough punishment.

Topflight
12-01-2004, 10:21 AM
I hate "film buffs"

Most of the time I get the feeling that they just like certain movies so that they can be part of some imaginary elitist club.

I'm going to compile a list of say 10 pretentious film buff "films" and if x person likes more than 40% of these then they are probably someone that would get on my nerves.

I'm pretty sure Dr. Strangelove will be one of the films on my list. I fell asleep during that movie.

Oh, when I say like these movies, I mean that I can see their face get all eager to talk about said movie and feel elite at the mention of it's title. As if just mentioning the "film" is a secret code word of the filmies.

I met a girl who was like this and it carried over into all aspects of her life. Everything she enjoyed had to be some fancy "intellectual" type of thing. We went to a Karaoke bar and she was flipping through the song binder and got all excited about some opera section with foreign songs. Then she would dis great pop songs and hype up this foreign [censored] that no one had ever heard of. Then she gets some cheesy expression on her face as if she is above the world for it.

Filmies, haha, what a joke.

Topflight
12-01-2004, 10:33 AM
I may need a better way to identify "Filmies" than just enjoying the movies on the list I create.

The problem is that the Filmie qualities that annoy me are very subtle. It is mostly an attitude change around certain films. Or rating a film buff movie higher than it should actually be rated.

I love when I see employee picks at a rental place. There is usually at least one film buff that has all of their picks from what would be my film buff list. Its as if they are trying to make some shitty statement about their intelligence by picking these movies.

I'm not sure how to identify a filmie, but I know creating this list of films is a start. I may have to actually bring up this list and enter a discussion with the person to actually decide if they qualify as a filmie.

sfer
12-01-2004, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dr. Strangelove
No words can describe my utter failure as a film buff in not having seen this film. I'm a Kubrick fan to boot. I've seen The Killing, but not Strangelove? Shameful, utterly shameful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm jealous. I'd love to see it fresh for the first time.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...Dr. Strangelove... I fell asleep during that movie.

[/ QUOTE ]I did too.

theBruiser500
12-01-2004, 12:23 PM
dr strangelove is the one where a guy rides a nuclear bomb right? it wasn't funny.

wuwei
12-01-2004, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dr strangelove is the one where a guy rides a nuclear bomb right? it wasn't funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have no sense of history and/or weren't born till after the cold war was over, you probably won't enjoy Dr. Strangelove very much.

If you understand the history and can put things in context, its [censored] hilarious. Then think of it in the context of the war on terror, and it becomes timeless.

jakethebake
12-01-2004, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have no sense of history and/or weren't born till after the cold war was over, you probably won't enjoy Dr. Strangelove very much.

If you understand the history and can put things in context, its [censored] hilarious. Then think of it in the context of the war on terror, and it becomes timeless.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm with Bruiser. I love history, and was in the military when the wall came down, but I though this movie was just boring as hell.

theBruiser500
12-01-2004, 12:55 PM
i love history too, i just don't like the humor in that movie it's really goofy.

oddjob
12-01-2004, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are people here wh;ve never seen Godfather I for crying out loud. I thought I was negligent for not seeing it until I was 17.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hadn't seen either godfather 1 or 2 till last year. and i love mobster movies. this was even after i lived at my brother's house after i graduated college, had no job, nothing to do, and he had them on laser disc (it was 8 years ago).

i also hadn't see a ton of movies, that i'm supposed to have seen.

i've seen the blues brother in it's entirety, but never from start to finish. i've seen parts of it many many times, but never sat down and watched the whole movie in one sitting.

same goes with animal house.

i did finally see godfather 1 and 2 (thank you netflix) last year.

wuwei
12-01-2004, 01:40 PM
[quoteI love history, and was in the military when the wall came down, but I though this movie was just boring as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, that suprises me, but to each their own of course.

I'm no filmie as Topflight described, but I love Dr. Strangelove. Political satire at its finest.

fsuplayer
12-01-2004, 01:46 PM
If you understand the history and can put things in context, its [censored] hilarious

was bored the first time I watched it, but once I learned more about it and the making of it, I rewatched and enjoyed it very much.

kubrick was originally going to make the movie as a drama; his first anti-war type movie.

he then saw how funny much of it was, and decided to make it into a dark comedy.

The red necked pilot on the bomb?

neither kubrick nor the cast told him that it was a comedy, bc in casting, his dramatic acting was funnier than hell, and kubrick didnt want him to change a thing.

Boris
12-01-2004, 02:15 PM
You're so crude.

Peca277
12-01-2004, 02:43 PM
I guess it's just because I grew up in a hockey town, but watching Slapshot was like a right of passage. Plus it was a big thing to see a few titties at that age! Call me crude /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ulysses
12-01-2004, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm going to compile a list of say 10 pretentious film buff "films" and if x person likes more than 40% of these then they are probably someone that would get on my nerves.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem w/ that approach is you could easily run into someone who just likes movies a lot and has a wide range of taste.

A better way to identify the type of morons you're looking to avoid is to have a list of movies that rule but aren't "respected."

You can use action movies like Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, or Predator. Any Rocky-type movies (except not Rocky I, as they might claim to like it, even if they really don't). Lots of Adam Sandler and Chris Farley movies also work.

Mentioning a few of these movies will do the trick.

deacsoft
12-01-2004, 02:53 PM
I would have slapped myself until about a week ago for not yet seeing Stanley Kubrick's 2001:A Space Odyssey. As a major fan of movies (over 500 in my personal collection) I could not believe I had for so long skipped over the film that paved the way for science-fiction movies as we know them today. Now this film is not Best Picture winning material, but it (at it's time (1968)) a break through in special effects. It did bring home the Oscar for Special Visual Effects that year. I bought it, watched it, and was not disappointed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif