PDA

View Full Version : Where should I start looking for leaks? (long background)

Cerril
12-01-2004, 05:05 AM
Okay, so I know I've got problems. Beyond knowing that -everyone- has problems, a big downswing (from up 140BB to down 20BB over the course of 5k hands) has demonstrated to me more than well enough that it's not just luck.

Now a good chunk of that is luck. Just comparing this stretch of 7k hands (from break even up, and then down) to much larger samples on hand I've noticed that I've caught far fewer (a third) flushes, and my two pairs and trips, are holding up barely 50% of the time - if I were to call down every hand to the river regardless I believe that my number over the long run would be far higher. These are expensive aspects of variance.

In other news, the 'extra' hands, where those percentages are going to, are almost entirely in the 'high card' category. Even at the river, I'm seeing a lot more hands ending up in the 'high card' and 'one pair' category (to the tune of about 7% more of my total hands) - and keep in mind that some hands labeled 'one pair' were on the board.

So yeah, I'm running worse than average and I have what I feel are stats to prove it. I could stop there but besides not considering myself a perfect player, I know there are leaks causing a downswing this bad, and probably serious ones.

The problem is, I'm having a hard time identifying them. I know they're there, and that some are me being too aggro when I should fold (also an aggro move, I must tell myself) or maybe even <gasp> call. And I'm a little weak sometimes, folding when I should raise or call. Problem is, I feel like most of my errors now are in the marginal category. Most, not all, but I've gotten better at seeing the obvious leaks I have left when they show up in my hand histories.

1) Calling down high card hands. I picked up a bad habit at .5/1 that I thought I'd gotten rid of as I advanced. Sometimes ace high is good. I'm seeing too many showdowns with nothing better than AQ or AK. And I'm betting them too heavily postflop. Overall my total 'high card at showdown' category is in the green but I'm releasing too many after putting in too many bets. Specifically I went from showing down 8% and winning 12% to showing down 12% and winning 8%... that resonated, and I'm doing that less.

So there's one problem. But what about the rest? That shouldn't account for the 'skill' part of my bad streak, so I'm curious what you guys do. Step one is accomplished though, I don't even want to risk tilt so I took a nice break, read some, played some video games... got away from poker entirely for a bit, then back in on the theory side. I feel now that playing won't make things worse.

Hand histories have been problematic. Most of the ones I find interesting usually aren't, or will come up too rarely to make any adjustments based on.

So aside from having someone of much higher skill sitting behind me while I play, what's a good way to start leak-hunting?

Reef
12-01-2004, 06:05 AM
and my first instinct was to get Poker Tracker, if you don't already have it

Cerril
12-01-2004, 06:34 AM
I refer to a lot of PT-related stuff in there, actually. If it matters, this is at Party 3/6. I've got a lot more hands at 2/4, 1/2, and .5/1 (along with a smattering of non-party and 5/10) that I'm using for comparison in the distribution of hands.

Anyway, since this is far too small a sample to judge whether I'm misplaying certain starting hands, and my general stats (VP$IP, PFR, AF, WTS%, W$SD) are all within the margin of error (my WTS% I think is a little high considering the distribution, and my W$SD is a little lower than I'd like it, barely above 50%, which implies I'm seeing too many showdowns but still not so far out of range). If you have any other specific advice about using PT to examine my game (aside from hand histories, and if there is advice you have on how to find hand histories I'm all ears), I would love any thoughts you have!

Reef
12-01-2004, 06:59 AM
Be sure not to make the mistake of trying to raise your W$SD by folding to more river bets. Get out on the flop or turn. Remember: (in general) tighter flop/turn calls... looser river calls.

I personally like to replay the bigger hands in which I lost. This sometimes helps me to find some small leak. Hands you win usually play themselves.

Cerril
12-01-2004, 07:40 AM
to some extent yes... missing bets can be pretty terrible. And yeah, folding the river with made hands you called with on the turn is a bad idea. Obviously hands where you had odds to see the river but seeing a showdown will only lose you 1BB (i.e. drawing hands where you can't beat an overcard, much less a pair) are almost always worth folding. I think I need to start folding to more turn raises though, or maybe check/folding more turns, but I'm pretty sure I have a handle on why my W$SD is slightly low... a couple percent can be explained pretty easily by the direction my variance has gone.

Cerril
12-01-2004, 06:37 PM
I don't bump much, I'm curious if anyone else has any thoughts on this though. Leak-recognition seems a pretty useful topic. If there's been a good thread before that anyone is aware of, pointing me in that direction would be a huge service too.