PDA

View Full Version : 99 in EP

Che
12-01-2004, 02:05 AM
Late in the first hour of a Party $109 multi. Avg. approaching 2000.

A variety of stupid plays left me with 170 early but I trapped 3 unwitting opponents all-in preflop with J9s to quadruple up then activated my brain and actually started playing well to get up to 910. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sometimes when I come back from the dead like this I get the feeling that I’m freerolling and make some, um, different plays (not saying it’s smart – just telling it like it is /images/graemlins/tongue.gif). Here’s an example:

Blinds 50/100. 9-handed.

UTG folds. I have 910 and make it 250 with 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. 2 folds then unknown LP with 2190 calls. Others fold.

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif (Pot=650)

I push my last 660.

Clever? Stupid? Just plain goofy?

Later,
Che

JaBlue
12-01-2004, 02:39 AM
When shortstacked, small-med pairs are very difficult to plain IMO. This is one of the few spots where limping may be correct although you don't have the correct implied odds to play for set value. Also if someone raises behind you, you can re-raise all in to represent AA/KK. You're very likely to take it down against stealing opponents.

I honestly don't know what to do here so I'm looking forward to this discussion.

P.S. Last 50$ tournament I played i got to ~9 BBs and open-pushed UTG+1 with 88. I got called and lost the coinflip, and just felt like maybe I should have mucked it or limped. I asked the person I was playing beside (we get together with two different computers every other week or so and play tournaments together mostly for a learning experience for me and for the comraderie. He's VERY good and enjoys a lot of success in the 50 MTTs) and he told me that its a horrible play. He told me that he'd rather limp.

Anyone elses thoughts?

SossMan
12-01-2004, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Clever? Stupid? Just plain goofy?

[/ QUOTE ]

you didn't list my adjective Che McFishy

kuro
12-01-2004, 06:25 AM
I think in this situation where you're short stacked and you've been seen to go all-in with less than premium hands than you just don't have much folding equity with that kind of a flop. If the villain hit the flop you're getting called.

I think if you want to play 99 for value from early position here you are better off just pushing, because you just don't have the chips to play with post flop.

I think its a toss up on whether to push or to limp and play them for set value given your stack size and table image.

Geoff
12-01-2004, 09:40 AM
Che,

I would think that your table image at the moment of the push would be the critical dynamic in order to choose the proper adjective, or make the push. I also did not see my choice in your list.

Regards