PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Start Taking SNGs Seriously

NateBalditch
12-01-2004, 01:09 AM
First time, long time.

OK, now that that is out of the way... I'm going to start taking SNGs and my poker play seriously. I played in 12 SNGs today, 10 10+1's and 2 20+2's. Here is what I'm keeping track of:

Date, Time of Start, Time of Finish, # of Minutes Played, Game, and the result obviously.

Today my stats were 50% ITM (4 1's, 2 3's), and my ROI was 88.3% (that's $136 in "profit" over $154 in payments)...

I know the stats mean nothing after 12 SNGs, but is there anything else I should be keeping track of? Is it cool to vary between the 10+1's and the 20+2's, or should I just stick to one and build up enough tourneys to have some meaningful stats on them? Should I combine the stats between the 10's and the 20's?

Has anyone written a good excel spreadsheet to track this stuff? I would be interested in doing something with excel, or in developing a web app to do just that, but I'd like some advice on what I should be tracking, etc.

Thanks in advance.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-01-2004, 01:15 AM
http://www.tilthappens.com/files/2Plus2SNGV2.zip

NateBalditch
12-01-2004, 01:52 AM
This is awesome, thanks.

Perhaps it should be added to the FAQ draft?

Biff M.
12-01-2004, 02:50 AM
There's another one here:

web page (http://home.comcast.net/~umterp/SNG_Results.xls)

AleoMagus
12-01-2004, 03:13 AM
Here is another slightly modified version of the SNG sheet which I have been using.

http://www.geocities.com/aleomagus

This sheet also has a separate 'MASTER' sheet which will complile separate results automatically and calculates some overall stats, overall profit, and other things

The Master sheet I am still tinkering with and I'll post it as soon as it is a little easier to use. For now, just use this sheet for each of your SNG buy-ins and eagerly await the Master sheet which will wrap them all together.

Regards
Brad S

AleoMagus
12-01-2004, 03:28 AM
Ok, I tried this to see if it would work, and it did once, but didn't a second time. Not being a web guy, I am going to assume this has something to do with either bandwidth, magical fairies, or the twilight zone.

Anyways, if anybody else manages to get this in the next while, let me know. Also, If anyone can find a better place for this, I'd also be glad to hear of it.

One other thing:

My sheet has the updated 'winning confidence'. The other sheet was using an aproximation which was not actually strictly correct. The old version gives a conservative estimate but it is actually higher. This is because the old version was calculating the prob that you were making $0 to 2xROI. A truly accurate winning confidence is from $0 to any positive ROI.

Regards
Brad S

AleoMagus
12-01-2004, 03:30 AM
Yet another point

My sheet has no values for Bankroll, cash outs, etc...

This is deliberate as this info is used in the Master sheet instead. You'll see.

Regards
Brad S

jonoo
12-01-2004, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's another one here:

web page (http://home.comcast.net/~umterp/SNG_Results.xls)

[/ QUOTE ]

hey thanks for this it's awesome! I just have one question, is there any way that you can make a running tally of your hourly rate? thanks again

Biff M.
12-01-2004, 03:38 AM
Hi Brad,

I couldnt retrieve the page, for some reason. Is it ok on your end?

Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.

AleoMagus
12-01-2004, 03:51 AM
yeah, If I rememebr correctly, we had this same problem when the V2 sheet was originally posted on geocities. I think that it will only allow so many megs of downloads per hour so I guess all I can say is try again in a while.

As I said, if anyone actually manages to get this and can put it somewhere more accessible, I'm all for that.

Regards
Brad S

Edit: I have now zipped the file so maybe this will mean a few more people will get it as it is 1/5 the size it used to be.

eastbay
12-01-2004, 04:20 AM
PM me if you want me to put it on my web site - no download restrictions.

eastbay

AleoMagus
12-01-2004, 04:24 AM
That's ok. I think I solved my problem by just putting a slightly smaller zipped version on my old freeservers site

http://www.aleomagus.freeservers.com

go to the spreadsheet page and download the SNG500.zip file

Be warned that I did some rough surgery to this thing to chop it down to 500 sngs. It is now small enough to put on that site, but for all I know, there may be some problems considering I just deleted 250 SNG entries and data fields. It seems to work fine though...

Regards
Brad S

housenuts
12-01-2004, 04:53 AM
so is the master sheet you were speaking of ready? i've been hesitant to keep stats because it seems like a pain in the butt. i am constantly playing 10+1's, 15+1 turbos, 20+2's, and the odd MTT mixed in there. all the various buy-ins makes the original spreadsheet a nightmare.

so what you're saying is this master spreadsheet is able to accomodate for all buy-ins? if so, i'm very excited to get my hands on it.

AleoMagus
12-01-2004, 05:14 AM
The plan is:

You compile SNG results in the spreadsheet I have just posted. You use a separate spreadsheet for each buy-in (and I even use a separate spreadsheet for Multi-table tourneys, and another for ring games)

What the master sheet does is import info from the other sheets to compile overall stats.

The master sheet will have buy-in, and cash out info and will use all other results (the other sheets) to determine Bankroll info. I am even thinking of incorporating a log to keep track of how much money is at each site, etc...

The real ability of the Master sheet will be the compilation of overall stats and info like ROI, SD, $/hr, etc...

I, for example, have a folder labeled 'Poker results' on my desktop. In this folder I have a number of Excel files

10+1 RESULTS
20+2 RESULTS
30+3 RESULTS
50+5 RESULTS
RING RESULTS
MULTI RESULTS

and of course...

MASTER SHEET

If I cared more about Ring games, I'd use pokertracker instead of my Ring spreadsheet but I don't play ring games that much anymore.

I have also experimented with making a single spreadsheet which will support many different buy-ins and will calculate independent stats and overall stats. I have since given up on that idea, as I found it easier to just use multiple sheets. Perhaps I will post what I did finish on that other sheet in case anyone wants to take over and finish it.

Regards
Brad S

housenuts
12-01-2004, 05:53 AM
that sounds like an awesome idea! unfortunately i can't download from that link you posted. i'm eagerly awaiting the release of this master sheet.

UMTerp
12-01-2004, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hey thanks for this it's awesome! I just have one question, is there any way that you can make a running tally of your hourly rate? thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

That a sheet that I made, and that was the original reason for putting "end time" as one of the columns. Obviously the time played is easy to do for most of them - just subtract the two columns. The problem I'm having is getting the spreadsheet to calculate the time for the SNGs that run over midnight. Any ideas? I guess one way to do it would just be to have a "minutes played" column instead of "end time", but that's kind of a pain, since I'm often 6- or 8-tabling, and I'd rather not take the 10 or 15 seconds to calculate how long the SNG I just played in lasted. Any other suggestions are appreciated as well. I was dabbling around with adding some bankrolls requirements and confiedence intervals for win rates and stuff like that - maybe I'll do that this weekend.

TomR
12-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Here is how I calculate time played in a spreadsheet:

My date and time columns are prepopulated with the =NOW() formula. Cells with the =NOW() formula can be formatted in many ways, I have columns for day of the week, starting time and ending time. Then when I want to record a start or end time I hit F9 to update the spreadsheet and use copy/paste-special/values on the cells that I want to "enter" the current time into.

To calculate elapsed time you can then create a new column that subtracts the beginning time column from the ending time column for the session, I use h:mm:ss as the format for this column. In formulas if you multiply the elapsed time by 24 you then have the elapsed time as a fraction of an hour (e.g. 30 minutes =0.5, 90 minutes =1.5, etc).

Hope this helps.

UMTerp
12-01-2004, 11:08 AM
I didn't even know that formula existed. I'll try it. Thanks.

Scuba Chuck
12-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Brad, is there a reason you use multiple files for each table versus using different tabs within the spreadsheet?

Haven't been able to download, so can't tinker with the file yet.