PDA

View Full Version : way better than a dumb fight post...

daryn
12-01-2004, 01:07 AM
or a post about what weapon you want. the more important question:

would you rather be shot or stabbed?

sfer
12-01-2004, 01:11 AM
Depends where.

Nick B.
12-01-2004, 01:12 AM
I think I would rather be shot. The thought of a knife piercing me freaks me out.

Evan
12-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Shot, especially if they're both going to be fatal. I don't want to be able to see what's going to kill me approaching.

sfer
12-01-2004, 01:14 AM
I'm aiming a gun squarely at your hand. I think getting stabbed there is clearly preferable.

Evan
12-01-2004, 01:19 AM
Yea, if its something like the hand I'll take getting stabbed. I didn't know we were talking about bitchy flesh wounds though. Basically, if I'm gonna live through it I'd probably rather have the knife, if its the end I'd rather just get it over with.

Blarg
12-01-2004, 01:19 AM
I'd rather watch someone's eyes while he shot me than while he stabbed me, so I'll have to go with shot. Plus, if you die from it, sometimes the death from a bullet is extremely quick. And, shooting can be merely utilitarian, so you might get shot only once or twice, but stabbing is more up close and personal and an act of rage, so you if you get stabbed at all it could be 20 times, and you could be alive for every last stab. And then still take a while to die. I gotta go with the bullet.

nothumb
12-01-2004, 01:20 AM
I've been stabbed. It wasn't that bad. It's just kind of scary to watch it happen. But I imagine getting shot is kind of the same way.

I'd waaay rather be stabbed then shot. There are very few places on your body where being shot would do less damage than being stabbed.

NT

wacki
12-01-2004, 01:25 AM
Too many variables. Where are you getting shot? What caliber? How big/wide of a knife?

A .22 in the hand is a lot better than a bowie.

A switchblade in the belly is a lot better than a .50 cal barret sniper rifle or a 10 gauge 3 1/2" shotgun shell.

If all things were equal I would prefer to be shot. I've always wondered what the impact would feel like. Plus it's a war story you can tell. I've already had metal go through my hand and my calf as well (different occasions and neither was a knife). No biggie. My only regret is I wish I took a picture.

If I'm going to die... bullet no question.

daryn
12-01-2004, 01:28 AM
let's say both will be non-fatal. we're just talking about fear and pain and whatnot here.

daryn
12-01-2004, 01:30 AM
let's say a standard 9mm

and oohhh let's go with 4 in blade.

i think i'd rather get stabbed as well. a knife can be clean, in and out, but a bullet just rips through everything in it's way.

Evan
12-01-2004, 01:45 AM
I'm pretty sure that niether sfer nor myself knew this much about guns or knives. Maybe I should study up, NY can be a scary place and I should really do my homework on what calibut bullet I might get shot with.

Lazymeatball
12-01-2004, 01:54 AM
a bullet can be go through pretty clean as well, where as a knife can do all sorts of tearing and twisiting action. Again, it depends upon how it's administered.
For the record, the thought of a knife slicing at my throat or wrists is pretty scary to me, whereas I don't feel I could really comprehend the effect of being shot. Maybe it's because I use knives for everyday tasks and I've only ever shot a .22 (and some BB guns) at some Boy Scout camp years ago. Perhaps If I went hunting or saw a few people get shot I'd changed my mind. So I'd rather be shot than stabbed, assuming each will cause equal injury.

wacki
12-01-2004, 01:57 AM
If you get shot with anything 9mm is what you want. .22's are small and bounce around and can turn you into swiss cheese. Your best bet with a .22 is hope for an early exit, then it's no big deal. I know a guy that got shot with a .22 and he said it felt like a bee sting. .44's put a small hole in front, and a big one in back. You do not want that.

Full metal jackets are good because they tend to drill holes in flesh. Hollow points balloon out like a mushroom and shred everything to pieces.

Cold Steal, a high quality knife maker, compares the damage their spears do vs. a 12 gauge shotgun against a large slab of meat on their free sample DVD. Suprisingly enough, the spears win bigtime. So never underestimate the damage a good knife can do.

Blarg
12-01-2004, 02:16 AM
Israeli assassins became notorious for using .22's. A .22 LR from a pistol will punch its way through the skull into the brain pan but usually won't have enough energy after that to get out and, like you say, will just bounce around inside and turn the brain into swiss cheese.

Rooster71
12-02-2004, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a bullet can be go through pretty clean as well, where as a knife can do all sorts of tearing and twisiting action. Again, it depends upon how it's administered.
For the record, the thought of a knife slicing at my throat or wrists is pretty scary to me, whereas I don't feel I could really comprehend the effect of being shot. Maybe it's because I use knives for everyday tasks and I've only ever shot a .22 (and some BB guns) at some Boy Scout camp years ago. Perhaps If I went hunting or saw a few people get shot I'd changed my mind. So I'd rather be shot than stabbed, assuming each will cause equal injury.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ammo is another big factor. A 9mm hardball wouldn't do a whole lot of damage (comparatively speaking) unless it was in a really bad spot. A hollow-point or even a soft point could really do some damage, i.e. totally destroy some organs.