PDA

View Full Version : how does this look ?

stripsqueez
11-30-2004, 10:27 PM
i get AQo in the SB in a 5/10 6 max game

1 limper - the BB and the limper call my raise

flop is Ad 6h 8s - they both call

turn is 2s - only the BB calls

river is 3c - check - bet - raise - call

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Joe826
11-30-2004, 10:44 PM
hi strip,

seems really opponent dependant to me. with the average 5/10'er i don't think this is a good idea. they love to call and don't seem to be as fond of betting marginal hands. if he/she's got an A you're gold, but there are lots of other calling hands that they might have that they'll check behind with.

helpmeout
11-30-2004, 11:05 PM
I think this is a good move against opponents who like to bluff on the river when you show weakness.

Might help you on future hands.

gonores
11-30-2004, 11:21 PM
I'm more apt to pull this on the turn, since I want people to fear my turn checks more than I want them to fear my river checks, and either play is going to elicit a good amount of calldowns.

I still like your play way more than bet, bet, bet.

MicroBob
11-30-2004, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm more apt to pull this on the turn, since I want people to fear my turn checks more than I want them to fear my river checks, and either play is going to elicit a good amount of calldowns.

I still like your play way more than bet, bet, bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit that I'm more of a 'bet bet bet' guy on this. But I like the thinking of pulling a stop-n-go on the turn and/or river and the benefits one can get from it.

joker122
11-30-2004, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree - i'd much rather risk giving a free showdown to a worse hand than giving a free card to a worse hand.

Michael Davis
12-01-2004, 12:34 AM
This is a great play to use; I do it all the time, because often I check and give up on the turn or river so you've got to throw this into the mix.

-Michael

stripsqueez
12-01-2004, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
with the average 5/10'er i don't think this is a good idea. they love to call and don't seem to be as fond of betting marginal hands

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this is what i was thinking - perhaps the wrong game

stripsqueez
12-01-2004, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm more apt to pull this on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i would normally do - i remebered thats what i normally do just as i bet the turn so i did it on the river instead

fearme
12-01-2004, 01:57 AM
i raise pre and lead all the way, usually, i just hate not getting in all my river bets by going for checkraise

mperich
12-01-2004, 02:41 AM
Looks delicious. I know I'm not checkraising the turn and/or river nearly enough and its hurting me.

-Mike

mooks
12-01-2004, 03:18 AM
whats ur play if the flop is 10 5 2 rb..... turn is a 7....?

stripsqueez
12-01-2004, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
whats ur play if the flop is 10 5 2 rb..... turn is a 7....?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would very likely bet out - what happens after that varies - with no obvious draws in the flop i'm more likely than usual to do some early folding if someone else reckons they are in front

fnord_too
12-01-2004, 10:03 AM
I usually bet out here. So often in the 5/10 you will get checked behind because the opponent has such a weak hand. There were no likely draws on the flop, so I would put the BB on a 6, 8, or small to mid pair. If I think the person is paying attention, and I have been extremely aggressive but laid down a lot of hands to turn and river bets, then I think trying for a c/r becomes attractive, but that is a very situationally dependant play for me.

gonores
12-01-2004, 10:12 AM
That's why you have to do it on relatively drawless boards.

Guy McSucker
12-01-2004, 01:58 PM
I normally get a check-behind out of them when I do this.

Guy.