PDA

View Full Version : Flame away.... was it that bad

Scotty O
11-30-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm at the final table in a local home game (100+20) tourney. Here it is 3 players left (3rd $400, 2nd $800, 1st $1600)

Button: ~T20000
SB: ~T26000 (initial read)
BB (Scotty O): T40000

SB/BB 700/1400
Button folds
SB limps
BB Checks (T4o)

Flop: 4s, 5s, 6c

SB Checks
BB Bets out 3000
SB calls

Turn: 9s
SB checks
BB all in
SB calls with the nuts

My initial read was a str8 draw and I thought I had him covered by 10k in chips. I only had him covered by 3k. I thought if I got knocked down to 10k, I could still work a little, however 3k didnt help much and I came in forth.

So was it a bad play not knowing the accurate chip count and moving all in on a bluff. Or was the all in just a terrible move and I should be Flamed for it at this point!!

Scotty O

MaGi
11-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Obviously your read was dead wrong...what bothers me more though is you didnt know how much he could call. get a chip count if you are unsure of how many chips they have, short-handed i keep very close tabs on exactly how much everyone has, and i can generally tell within a few chips, even then if i am taking a risk like that and i am not sure what they have i still will get a count.

DemonDeac Holding Rockets
12-01-2004, 01:30 AM
its a bad play because the flush was made on the turn. granted, yea u put him on a straight draw but the flush is there nonetheless. ease up. also, the pot was nothing, just 2xBB. theres no need to try and take it down with an all in bet, especially since u did not raise before teh flop (showing strength) with a chip lead and especially since the flush was made. once he called ur 3000 chip bet on the flop, u had to know u were in trouble with such a shitty hand. thats my opinion, at least

UOPokerPlayer
12-01-2004, 02:04 AM
I dont mind the flop bet. I think once you're after that you've got to go on the defensive. Sure he could have a draw or overcards, but its much more likely he's ahead of you. Once the spade comes on the turn his flush draw now beats you. My initial would be that of a spade draw. It's a pretty big overbet to push the turn and if you're gonna bluff at it i'd say you should probably go smaller 2/3 pot.

Looks like you've got a pretty big lead on the competition. It's correct to be aggressive with a big stack but the key is to be selective. This is something i have to work on a lot, as pissing away a chip-lead is a great skill of mine. That's why i'd shut down on the flop, in TPFAP Sklansky's talks about going after small pots and getting out when you're face with aggression. Flop bet is good, pushing the turn is really bad, making a smaller bet would still be bad imo but I could be wrong.
Check-fold once he calls the flop.

Scotty O
12-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the reply's, I need to live and learn this one. If it weren't for that hand I would have had a very good shot to win it.