PDA

View Full Version : Some hands that are troubling me...

aeakos
11-30-2004, 10:04 PM
I am going to post a few of the hands that I feel I played badly, real bad, for disection and discussion. What I would like is as you go through the hand, tell me what should make me throw the brakes on and how you'd play it. I feel that I try to "protect" my high cards far too much. All your insight and help is much appreciated.

Nearly all opponents are LP-A or LP-P.

--Hand 1--
Paradise Poker 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: (6.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

River: (13.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

--Hand 2--
Paradise Poker 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (7.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

--Hand 3--
Paradise Poker 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 folds, MP2 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (3 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB

--Hand 4--
Paradise Poker 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.02.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO (poster) 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, ($0.04)Hero calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

River: (19.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

Shillx
11-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Welcome to the forums.
I only read Hand #4, becuase I'm a hurry, so Ill let others make comments on the rest.

Flop bet is good. Once you get it heads up, there is no need to keep going on the flop. You did a lot of spewing with a hand that doesn't figure to be good. I would probably just check/call the turn and bet the river against an unknown.

Brad

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
12-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Hand 1: check/call the flop. You are getting odds to call for your gutshot, and if either or the other two T's hit your hand is probably good. Check/fold the turn, you are well behind and are not going to improve to the winner enough to justify this call.

Hand 2: Good until the river. I think you should check/fold here. I don't think you figure to be good 10% of the time in this spot.

Hand 3: Picking up the gutshot on the turn does not give your hand much strength, especially considering the small pot. Check/fold the turn.

Hand 4: After CO caps the flop, you can be fairly sure you are behind. At most you are going to want to check/call the turn and river and expect to see AA/KK/AK. Against a predictable opponent you can lay this one down on the turn when you don't improve.

aeakos
12-01-2004, 02:42 AM
Thanks for your help. I guess I'm overapplying "protecting your hand" and "folding a winning hand is the single biggest mistake."

Thanks again guys.

Lurker4
12-01-2004, 03:06 AM
1. PF is fine. I'd check/call this flop for one bet, as you'll probably be getting odds to draw to your gutshot/trips/weak twopair. I definitely wouldn't bet in this situation, with 5 players an A or K is highly likely, and an A or better will probably raise. I'd check/fold this turn for one bet, you are probably drawing only to your gutshot and you could be drawing dead or to a split. River is a very borderline call, you don't beat any value-betting hands and I don't know if your good more than 1 out of 14 times here. I guess its ok if UTG+1 is a really bad LAG.

2. PF and flop are fine, I'd probably bet this turn as the board looks scarier now to a 5 or 4 against a PFR. I'd fold this river.

3. PF and flop are fine, check/fold this turn. Small pot, very weak draw. River is good

4. PF is ok. I'd probably just call the flop raise and call down from there, if CO has you beat, your beat by a lot, and if you have CO beat, then you have him beat by a lot and can just let him do the betting for you. 3-betting the flop isn't too bad though, but you have to slow down after CO caps. CO is likely capping w/AK, KK or AA, its unlikely he's capping with a hand you beat. You just went way overboard here on the turn.

Not sure if you want this advice, but from these hands I'd say a general leak is probably overvalueing your hands/draws and taking them too far. Thats pretty much the problem with hands 1, 3, and 4.

aeakos
12-01-2004, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if you want this advice, but from these hands I'd say a general leak is probably overvalueing your hands/draws and taking them too far. Thats pretty much the problem with hands 1, 3, and 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was also what I was thinking after looking at my stats and these hands being replayed. I feel that I'm having a hard time knowing when to bet for protection and when to fold because of what I've read in SSH.

Again, thank you for your time and input, I look forward to your responses on future hands.