PDA

View Full Version : Two folds, quick hands

spamuell
11-30-2004, 09:28 PM
A while ago, I wouldn't have folded either of these. Am I being too fold-happy?

Bettor was TAG, UTG was loose/passive.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG <font color="purple">(LP)</font> calls, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(TAG)</font> calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG <font color="purple">(LP)</font> calls, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(TAG)</font> calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
LP checks, <font color="CC3333">TAG bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, LP calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
LP checks, TAG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, LP calls, TAG calls.

River: (9.16 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
LP checks, <font color="CC3333">TAG bets</font>, Hero folds, LP calls.

Final Pot: 11.16 BB

I called the flop with the intention of raising the turn if the loose player stayed in and calling the turn and raising the river if he folded. I felt so clever folding at the time but he could easily be value-betting a smaller pair against my AK or something, think it was a pretty bad fold now.

How do you like my play if the river was K/images/graemlins/spade.gif instead?

Hand 2

Bettor was tight/aggresive pre-flop and normal after the flop according to autorate. I hadn't seen him before that I recall.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 <font color="purple">(LP)</font> folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB <font color="purple">(TA-N)</font> completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">TA-N bets</font>, Hero folds,

I think I based this on an example where there were more limpers behind and that I shouldn't have folded here.

spamuell
11-30-2004, 09:50 PM
that's surprisingly fast, especially when I thought the forums were pretty much down.

gaming_mouse
11-30-2004, 10:09 PM
I think your fold in "Hand 1" is a really strong read. I admire it in theory, but in practice I would never do it. Against a TAG, who could easily bluff here, you need expert hand reading skills to make that lay down, I think.

I don't like the "Hand 2" fold, though I guess it's defensible. I think I'd try raising instead and work from there.

gm

Chris Daddy Cool
11-30-2004, 10:13 PM
everyone knows i'm all for big folds and such, but i would never fold hand 1 without a strong read. and having a player labeled as TAG isn't a strong enough read for me especially since i know this could be value betting a weaker hand than yours.

hand 2. 4 sb in the pot with another player to act after you. i have always been inconsistent in these spots and what i do usually depends on my reads and my mood. half of me wants to raise this and the other half wants me to fold and be done.

Joe Tall
11-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Hand#1

I have no idea why you folded. Did you think he limped UTG w/53s or didn't c/r his set on the turn?

Hand#2
Fine.

Peace,
Joe Tall

spamuell
11-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Hi Joe,

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why you folded. Did you think he limped UTG w/53s or didn't c/r his set on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a pretty terrible fold, I don't usually do things like that. I thought he played his hand exactly like a flush draw might play, which is true. But there are a ton of other hands as well that could do that, mid-pairs mainly, or he might just be strangely playing his hand for some reason, it was a really bad fold. Luckily, he did actually river a flush.

pokerkai
11-30-2004, 11:16 PM
I think your right spam, its a pretty bad fold. Smells like possibly 77-99 or J10s. I woulda raised the flop btw.

I think the fold is fine, although with the backdoor straight and flush draws added, I think I might raise this flop.