PDA

View Full Version : I called on every street

SlantNGo
11-30-2004, 08:26 PM
BB was LP-P and UTG+2 was LP-A, although I only had about 10-15 hands on them at the time.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls.

Top pair in a big pot with terrible position relative to flop bettor. I don't think I can fold this, and a raise here accomplishes nothing. Although BB looks to be LP-P, I can see the typical Party fish betting out on this board with a K, so I may even be ahead. I decide to call and wait to raise on the turn.

Turn: (5.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Well now, I'm behind to a straight, but no raise from UTG+2 doesn't make me think he has it. Kicker won't play anymore, so if I was behind before to a better kicker, now I have half the pot. I decide to flat call, putting one of them on an ace, the other on a K or Q.

River: (8.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

smoothasglass
11-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Slant ... I am newbie and my advice probably won't be of much value ... but I agree with the way you played the hand.

P.S. I would like to post some hands also ... how do you get your hand history to look so nice in the post /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Firefly
11-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Call me weak tight, but I would have folded the Turn. Any two broadway cards are infront now. You have a pair of aces w/ no kicker on a very coordinated. It's a fairly small pot, and I doubt you're hand is good here alot of the time.

My .02.

Smasharoo
11-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Top pair in a big pot with terrible position relative to flop bettor. I don't think I can fold this,

I think you can. The idea behind playing Axs is that it's profitable if you have the discipline to fold it if you don't make two pair or a flush draw. Raising is better than calling, folding is better than raising.

Shillx
11-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Fold the flop...I'll post a similar hand later if you want to see my reasoning.

Brad

SlantNGo
11-30-2004, 11:10 PM
Indeed I would. The favors that tipped my decision from folding to playing for this pot were the size of the pot, although maybe not big enough to justify continuing with a very marginal hand, there was 5 BB in that pot to me; the fact that three broadways were on the board, i.e. I have many outs to a chop vs. a hand like A6, and also, given my read on my opponents that they are bad players, there is a chance that they don't even have top pair.

On the turn, I now have a chop vs. any Ace except two broadways. At this point I figure one of them on Ax and the other on a K.

River changes nothing. Results:

<font color="white"> BB shows A6. UTG+2 shows JJ. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
Fold the flop...I'll post a similar hand later if you want to see my reasoning.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Shillx
11-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Okay I posed it in mirco

Smasharoo
12-01-2004, 12:31 AM
I have many outs to a chop vs. a hand like A6, and also, given my read on my opponents that they are bad players, there is a chance that they don't even have top pair

This is why raising the flop is better than calling. However, folding is still the best play.

nothumb
12-01-2004, 01:24 AM
You cannot, I repeat, cannot fold on this flop. It's awful. I would raise the flop, and either check the turn through and call a river bet or bet the turn and check the river through.

I think the play, given your flop call, is to go ahead and raise the turn anyway, fold to a three-bet and show it down for free if you can.

Folding is, I repeat, awful against loose opponents.

NT

SlantNGo
12-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Can you give your reasoning behind this? You're the first to tell me not to fold this flop. And why raise the flop? From your description, it looks like you're trying to save half a bet and get a cheap showdown, which doesn't seem like a bad idea now; didn't think of it at the time.

[ QUOTE ]
You cannot, I repeat, cannot fold on this flop. It's awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

nothumb
12-01-2004, 01:54 AM
Sure. A loose player betting out of the BB into a broadway board and getting called by a loose opponent could mean a wide variety of things. It could mean he's got an ace and outkicks you, and the caller has a one card straight draw. It could also mean he's got AQ, played it passively and you're drawing near-dead. But it often means that you are either ahead or drawing live. IMHO this is the case too often and you usually have the odds to continue.

Given this, raising is preferable because you do get a chance to show down cheaply, and you also have a chance to get some information. If you get three-bet by a loose, passive player it's probably safe to fold the turn unimproved.

The other benefit of a flop raise is that you have a lot of options on the turn. You will often be checked to, and could bet a scare card with the intention of folding to a check-raise. I would do this if the players don't check-raise often and don't bluff much. You can also check the turn through if you choose, with the intention of calling one bet on the river.

There are few situations where I put much value in a raise 'for information.' This is one of them. It also makes the subsequent streets easier to play.

Against different opponents this could turn into a fold. Against loose, typical micro opponents, folding is a big error.

NT

cmwck
12-01-2004, 02:53 AM
I probably would go for folding the turn. Given your reads, it looks like the best you can hope for now is to split the pot with another ace. This effectively makes the pot tiny, and you have a marginal hand.