PDA

View Full Version : 2 Qs - How good am I? Should I move back to Party?

jedi
11-30-2004, 07:08 PM
I've got a couple of unrelated questions here about SnGs that I want outside feedback on.

I've been browsing the boards for about 1 year now, and a couple of months ago decided to challenge myself in the SnG realm by starting with $5+.50 tournaments at Stars and moving up when I built a bankroll for 30x the buy-in at the next higher tournament. I played mostly 2-table SnGs at Stars and have moved up to the $50+5 games now. That's the background for this.

1) How good am I? More to the point, how good do you think I am? I try to get in the weekly 2+2 SnGs and the KotZ events and have played against several of you multiple times. Can you say "Jedi has a tendency to do ..."? (I know codewarrior will say I have a tendency to flop sets against him). In these games, am I Feared? Mocked? Completely disrespected? Where have you noticed me making mistakes and how can I get better at the game?

2) I've been playing mostly 2-table SnGs on Poker Stars because I like the blind structure and the structure of the tournament (full-short-full-short) which gives me lots more shorthanded practice than I'd normally get. However once I reached the $50 level, it seems that games fill up much more slowly. As a result, I've been moving back over to Party where the sheer number of people cause the games to fill up faster. I don't think I've ever played a 2-table $50+5 at Stars, but I've played in a couple of 1-tablers. I like the Party 1-tablers more because there are 10 people and thus a bigger prize pool, but is it enough to offset the atrocious structure there? On the other hand, the structure makes for a faster game which will increase my $/hr profit, assuming that I can properly adjust.

Any thoughts on these 2 items?

jedi
12-01-2004, 01:36 PM
No thoughts? Even if you haven't played with me, I'd still like to know people's thoughts on Party vs. Stars.

codewarrior
12-01-2004, 01:52 PM
You have a tendancy to overplay small/medium pocket pairs.

2planka
12-01-2004, 02:16 PM
I view you as a good player and I try not to play big pots with you in the 2+2 games.

I agree with code's comment. Also the other "problem" hands can get you into trouble (AJo, for example). They get everyone in trouble though.

edit: i think you're solid enough to try some nonstandard plays, too.

rachelwxm
12-01-2004, 02:23 PM
I think you are a good player I play with you once before?
Do you keep record of your ROI at those two tables? That might answer your question more directly. /images/graemlins/cool.gif
My experience is that on ps turbo is much more popular these days, followed by 1table and then 2table the least.
I bump into same group of people over and over again on those 2 tables.

2planka
12-01-2004, 02:56 PM
What are you looking for most in a SNG? You mention the structure of the 2-table tourneys, the quick game starts, the prize pool, the pace of the game, and your hourly rate. Seems to me that you'll have to make some concessions no matter where you play.

I personally can't stand the party UI (the lobby may say there are seats available, but you gotta be quick to snag a damn seat). This has put me off that site even though I did like the game selection and comparatively softer games. I also only have time to play 2-3 hours per session, so I prefer Stars turbos to get the most hands in on my schedule.

Figure out what's most important to you in a SNG and then compare. Sorry if that's lame advice.

hyde
12-01-2004, 04:39 PM
I've played you enough to know you are solid. but I have no details.
which points out to me that I have only recently started taking notes.
I'll get back to you after tonights games.

Wasn't it you who was going to get "serious" about poker a few weeks ago? Someone in our thursday tourney was going to.

The more birthdays you have had, the more notes you should take......

dr. jekyl

jedi
12-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the replies about my play. They seem to be spot on. I think one of my problems is that if I'm shown strength, I automatically assume that someone is trying to bluff me and I overplay my decent but not great hands like TPGK. Of course, when I'm playing against you guys, I know you're very capable of bluffing into me knowing that I might start laying down some of those hands. Urgh, it's a vicious cycle.

[ QUOTE ]
Figure out what's most important to you in a SNG and then compare. Sorry if that's lame advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

All things considered, I like everything about the Stars 2-tablers more than anything about 1-tablers or Party tournaments. The ONLY reason that I've been playing the 1-tablers and the ones at Party are because of time. I don't have time to wait 45 minutes for a 2-tabler to fill up.

So, with all that having been considered, I'll sign up for a 2-tabler if I have the time. If I only have 1 hour to kill while playing poker, maybe I'll just stick to ring games or Stars Turbos.