PDA

View Full Version : QQ- no real read on UTG (2-4)

craig r
11-30-2004, 06:32 PM
UTG has played 12 hands and seen flop 9 times. He has only raised one time PF, and I have no read on him post-flop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

The turn and river is where I feel my problems lie on this hand. Do I re-raise him on the turn? I really don't like calling down, but is this the right play? He could have anything. But, since I have no idea how passive/aggressive he is, he could be making a play.

On the river, I really didn't think he was going to check-raise. When I bet I thought that he had gotten caught trying to steal on the turn and was now giving up. When he raised me, I know I have to at least call. Would anybody raise?

Will posts results later.

craig

J.R.
11-30-2004, 06:41 PM
"I really don't like calling down,"

why? he is a loose cannon who could have many hands. Either you have 2 outs or he has 2 outs (or 6 outs if he is semibluffing T8 or 56, or perhaps 4 if he is semi-bluffing an odd gutshot).

"When I bet I thought that he had gotten caught trying to steal on the turn and was now giving up."

Not to say you shouldn't bet the river, but its wrong to bet if you don't expect a worse hand to call (which is what your post implies).

"When he raised me, I know I have to at least call. Would anybody raise?"

3-betting this river is bad. A 9 crushes you and likely caps, and on the off chance he is getting way out of line, does he pay you off?

craig r
11-30-2004, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"When I bet I thought that he had gotten caught trying to steal on the turn and was now giving up."

Not to say you shouldn't bet the river, but its wrong to bet if you don;t expect a wrose hadn to call (which is what your post implies).

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought maybe he tried getting tricky with a 7..or even an Ace high. And yes, I do think he would call me with a garbage hand.

craig

poboys
11-30-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The turn and river is where I feel my problems lie on this hand. Do I re-raise him on the turn? I really don't like calling down, but is this the right play? He could have anything. But, since I have no idea how passive/aggressive he is, he could be making a play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will definately call down with QQ's. First, I do not want to give the impression that a check-raise on the river will get me to fold.

I probably would have called down (not raised the turn), although I think raising the turn would not have been a bad play.
[ QUOTE ]

On the river, I really didn't think he was going to check-raise. When I bet I thought that he had gotten caught trying to steal on the turn and was now giving up. When he raised me, I know I have to at least call. Would anybody raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I would not raise. If I didn't raise the turn, I would have bet the river. 9-x is a strong possibility, as is a set or two pair (which, of course you beat). This seems like a good value bet.

But again, no matter what, I am calling down. I want to get a read on him.

craig r
11-30-2004, 07:52 PM
Results:

7-10 suited. I guess he put me on A-K, A-Q, etc...but i don't know if he really would think things through that much.

craig