PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion for the pro's... (improving the forum)

AdamL
11-30-2004, 05:23 PM
A lot of talk about improving the SSH forum has got me thinking about ways this place could be improved. From my perspective, this forum would be a much more interesting place for students of SSH if the pro's would post more routine hands.

A lot of the better players here refrain from posting their standard hands and instead post their situational plays and more advanced hands. While these are interesting, what I really want to see is stuff like how a pro plays half a dozen overcard hands... or how a pro played KK-QQ when an A flopped over the last 4 or 5 hands. How did a pro handle getting raised on the turn with TPTK on x board with x opponents and x reads?

THAT's the kind of stuff that would really help readers like me who are not yet at the advanced level of play but are keen on improving.

It would also be a lot more useful (and interesting) for a pro to post a standard hand and for all the n00bs like me to reply in one thread. Having several overcard hands all posted by people who haven't got that much experience with not too many responses from good players isn't that helpful.

Don't get me wrong. The "advanced" hands have their place too, but please don't forget (this is to you Mr. Pro) that what you consider boring standard hands, are for someone else interesting offerings to learn from.

Adam

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fat Nicky
11-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Good post. I've been here a little over a month, i post pretty 'simple' straightforward hands, and i tend to get very few responses.

Bukem_
11-30-2004, 05:45 PM
Good idea, it'd also be nice if any of the better players would post hands where they know exactly(or at least close to it) what their opponent held, and explain their thought process once the forum gives their hand reading skills a try.

J.R.
11-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Good idea, it'd also be nice if any of the better players would post hands where they know exactly(or at least close to it) what their opponent held, and explain their thought process once the forum gives their hand reading skills a try.

Check out the old ss posts by a fella named Homer.

J.R.
11-30-2004, 06:18 PM
"It would also be a lot more useful (and interesting) for a pro to post a standard hand and for all the n00bs like me to reply in one thread. Having several overcard hands all posted by people who haven't got that much experience with not too many responses from good players isn't that helpful."

Other than searching the archives (particularly Mike Gallo and Joe Tall's SS posts, as they generously posted hands that, while routine for them, presented what they though might be problems for the average SSer), you could simply post the hand yourself and keep bumping the hand until you get sufficient responses. I'm no pro but you could feel free to PM me if you wanted me to offer my opinion.

AdamL
11-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Those are good suggestions. The problem with bumping my own hands (other than me feeling like I'm being a nuisance) is that I'd get so much more out of just seeing it done right a few times.

I'll check out those posters.

BottlesOf
11-30-2004, 06:48 PM
I agree in theory, but I think routine hands do get posted as well. I post them, b/c I like to constnatly re-examine my game even in what appear to be routine situations.

Other than that, you should post those routine hands and make sure you're doing them right. People will respond. Hopefully /images/graemlins/smile.gif