PDA

View Full Version : Problem with poor etiquette

Yawkey
11-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Here's the situation, I'm short stacked in the bubble of a NL tourny. I have K8s and the flop comes giving me top pair K's and the flush draw, I end up all-in against AK at the end of the flop. While this was happening, the dealer was busy burning and setting out the next cards (a huge no no), along with showing a guy who had already been knocked out what was to come. So he gets to flipping over the river and it comes an 8 giving me two pair to beat the K ace kicker. However the guy who saw what was supposed to come spoke up saying, no the 8 was the burn card a three was supposed to be the river. Sure enough, the card on the top of the deck was a 3. Had the card effected the betting I would have had a huge problem with this, but what can you do.

Usually I bring a friend to this game, because these guys aren't the warmest people I've ever met (had I made a big deal about it I could have easily left with at the least a black eye). But I like to go because it is a very fishy game with a small buy-in, and that usually makes up for putting up with their lax rules on dealing. I won't be heading to this game for a while if ever again, but does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this in case I encounter a similar situation in the future?

warewulf
11-30-2004, 08:20 PM
I've found that unless you are a regular at a game, EVEN IF YOU'RE RIGHT nobody will listen to you. I don't like people looking at cards that are already out of the hand. If you want to see cards, wait until the hand is over.

Anytime you bitch at something that wasn't done right, I'm sure you will get the standard answer: "That's how we've been doing it for years!" I would just get over it if you like playing with them otherwise. They're not professional dealers and they are going to make mistakes. My game you pay $1 for a dealing mistake, 3 strikes and you're out (can't deal for the rest of the night).

TenPercenter
11-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Rules and etiquette at homes games will always be a problem. I go to strange games and it drives me NUTS when they do wierd things. (wierd as in: Not What I Do.)

I went to a guy's house and they required that the BB shuffle and the BB and SB had buttons to pass just like the Dealer button. These things were totally unnecessary and confusing for all players but the host and one other. But hey, it's his game, and his rules, and no one objected.

Later, I invited that guy to MY home game. He's a really nice guy, but I could see on his face that WE were driving HIM nuts! Again, it's my game, and he didn't say a word. But I KNEW it, he could NOT understand how just anybody at the table was allowed to shuffle. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Of course the player to the right cuts, as always, but I let anybody shuffle that wants to, and I could see the smirk that said "these guys just don't know what they're doing."

The moral is, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Ten

AgentJack
12-01-2004, 02:29 AM
I always wondered if people really used the BB and SB buttons. I don't why you need them.

[ QUOTE ]
...and the BB and SB had buttons to pass just like the Dealer button. These things were totally unnecessary and confusing for all players but the host and one other...

[/ QUOTE ]

Arsene Lupin III
12-01-2004, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've found that unless you are a regular at a game, EVEN IF YOU'RE RIGHT nobody will listen to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

How true.. This is why I sometimes refrain from joining the inevitable side games that start when people start to bust at our tourneys in order to 'direct' them, alpha-male style. I honestly prefer stuff like this. Last time we had a tourney, I left the cash game when I heard it was headsup and saw the button posting the big blind. Doh! I've actually had to resort to being an ass in situations and saying, "I apologize for being assertive here, but I've played a little more poker than you have and I think I know the rules well enough by now."

Next tourney, I'm considering just dealing the whole time. It's not that I think I'm better or more knowledgable about dealing and other matters such as these, it's that I am. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

In other people's games I just shut up and play like they play. A lot of times their rules are pretty exploitable. I would consider not returning to a game, however, in which the board was conveniently changed to make an opponent win.

submariner
12-01-2004, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My game you pay $1 for a dealing mistake, 3 strikes and you're out (can't deal for the rest of the night).

[/ QUOTE ]

So for three bucks a night you never have to deal? Can you just pay it at the beginning and not have to make the three mistakes first?

smoore
12-01-2004, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So for three bucks a night you never have to deal? Can you just pay it at the beginning and not have to make the three mistakes first?

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahahah! no kidding.

Peca277
12-02-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My game you pay $1 for a dealing mistake, 3 strikes and you're out (can't deal for the rest of the night).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem is that you never have the button then. Even if I hated dealing, I wouldn't pay to lose the most profitable position in the game. But you can pay me to deal for you anytime /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Arsene Lupin III
12-02-2004, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only problem is that you never have the button then. Even if I hated dealing, I wouldn't pay to lose the most profitable position in the game. But you can pay me to deal for you anytime /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You still get the button, you just don't deal. If you skip someone's button, you're skipping someone's big and small blinds.