PDA

View Full Version : Best way to play a BB special?

tdp
11-30-2004, 02:32 PM
This situation has been coming up a lot lately and it's busting me out of too many tourneys.I get dealt rags in the bb and flop two rag pairs.I've tried playing them every possible way and still usually lose.If the flop is a straight or flush draw I'll come in with a pot size bet to make the draws pay.If the flop is rainbow,I've tried check-raising,limping and check-calling.Most of the time I end up getting beat by a higher two pair.
What's the best way to play this?When the flop comes out with an overcard to my 2p,I consistantly lose.Is this just short term or should I always proceed with extreme caution when flopping two rag pair?

nuclear500
11-30-2004, 02:58 PM
It would depend on how many saw the flop. If it was you and one other, unless you flopped top two or top and bottom, you may want to take it easy.

Also it would depend on the kind of draw's possible.

When its still early in the tournament, bet it big, pot size depending on the pot. If a lot of players saw it and you bet pot, it'll look like a steal attempt and you probably WILL get called down.

If its short handed, try to check raise the flop, if you can't then bet the turn big.

The probability of a flopped two pair being out drawn by a bigger two pair is very low. I think you're just getting unlucky /images/graemlins/smile.gif If someone has big cards that the overcard to your two pair presents the possibility of something like KT or KQ or KJ and the person limped, its their mistake.

I don't think theres anything you can do other then adjust your aggressivness depending upon players-to-see the flop.

If the small blind completes, he may be your biggest threat because he may have decided to complete with 96o in one of those "what the hell" scenarios when he doesn't suspect the BB of a raise.

tdp
11-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Some good advice,thanks.
[ QUOTE ]
If the small blind completes, he may be your biggest threat because he may have decided to complete with 96o in one of those "what the hell" scenarios when he doesn't suspect the BB of a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Come to think of it,this has happened a lot.Another situation that is costing me is when I flop bottom two with a paint on the board.Of course I'm trying to bleed chips off the person that can't get away from TP but lately it seems like they hit thier kicker a lot.Is it +EV to keep playing it this way?

aceragclubs
11-30-2004, 03:28 PM
TDP-I think you have to keep pushing these flops, and bet big on the turn if no possible straight or flush draw was made. Top pair has exactly 5 outs, and 2 of them (pairing the board to give them trips) will slow you down anyway. Getting drawn out on happens, but to have the best chance in these tournaments, you have to push every advantage. That's my opinion, anyway.....