PDA

View Full Version : J4s from SB -- very weird hand

Harv72b
11-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Table was filled with relative unknowns, but had been playing extremely loose both pre- and post-flop. I had no firm reads beyond that on any of the players involved.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Five opponents in an unraised pot, completing with any suited cards is the right move, no?

Flop: (6 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

I love to bet the flush draw. Sue me.

Turn: (7 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

With four to a straight on the board I felt obligated to 3-bet this one and (hopefully) see if I was trailing a higher flush or just running up against a J9. I was also hoping to chase a higher single club...easy 3bet, or should I have just called the raise?

River: (19 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero...?</font>

Absolutely not the river card I wanted to see. What to do?

mistrpug
11-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Preflop call is good, flop bet is good. In fact, I don't see why you were expecting people to not like you betting the flush draw. ("I love to bet the flush draw. Sue me") I'd even consider 3-betting the flop for value. I like the turn 3-bet.

I check the river and call one bet when it gets back to me. Two or more bets and I lay it down.

Lurker4
11-30-2004, 02:46 PM
PF complete is fine, w/4 limpers you should complete any two suited. Betting or checkraising the flush draw on the flop is standard, if you had something like Q /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif here instead then 3-betting is probably ok w/two others in the pot. Turn 3-bet is fine. I'd probably check/call the river.