PDA

View Full Version : Borgata 10/20 - AhKh UTG3 - Hand #3

TStoneMBD
11-30-2004, 01:13 PM
This is a different table than the other 2 hands, but the players are just as bad. The game is entirely loose-passive. In fact, every table that I played in and my friends played in were exactly the same. A solid player should easily be able to clear 4BBs/hr if the game is always this easy.

UTG2 is a calling station and will limp with any 2.
No reads on LP.

Hero is dealt AhKh.

UTG2 limps, Hero raises, LP calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG2 calls.

Flop: 8h6h8s (4players)
BB checks, UTG2 checks, Hero bets, 2 folds, UTG2 calls.

Turn: Qc
UTG2 checks, Hero bets, UTG2 raises, Hero calls(?)

River: brick
UTG2 bets, Hero folds.

After the hand UTG2 said that he had a 6, and I believe him. Should I have 3bet the turn here? A raise from these players almost always means an 8.

bobbyi
11-30-2004, 04:53 PM
What do you possibly have to gain by three-betting the turn? You almost certainly don't have the best hand. When a calling station springs to life like this with this board and action, he almost certainly has an 8 (as you say). Further, calling stations virtually never check-raise and then fold to a three-bet in almost any case. Trying to buy this pot requires you to bet again on the river and that will prove expensive because he may call your three-bet and check the river with a hand as strong as A8, fearing that you have QQ, so you have gained almost no new information about the strength of his hand by the fact that he backs off and will end up wasting that extra bet almost all of the time. If you were obligated to call the river anyway with your ace-high, then I could see an argument for three-betting and checking down the river. But against this player, you are beat too often to justify a call with ace-high. The line you took is the best one available.