PDA

View Full Version : Winning my Manhood back in 60 days -- Day 1

just_checking
11-30-2004, 01:02 PM
This is my first quest here, so if I am leaving out info you are interested in, please let me know. Also, for those who think I am a big sissy man, that's fine. I know I'm not (although the comment about not having the nuts from my intro was hilarious).

As most quests I have read start with a bang and have the poster well on their way to success and end short of the goal, I figured I would do the opposite.

I started 2 tabling $25 NL tables at party and tried to play as tight as I could. I am not going to go into Pokertracker stats, as I do not have it, but according to Party's stats, I saw the flop 16% of the time. That is way tighter than I am used to playing, so I need to get used the boredom.

Anyways, I couldn't hit the flop at all, and when I did, someone always hit it better and I paid them off. Example...

QJ/images/graemlins/heart.gif on Button. 3 limpers and I limp as well.

Flop Q/images/graemlins/spade.gifJ/images/graemlins/spade.gif9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

1st limper bets, one call, one fold, I pot it to try to take it down. Better calls, caller folds.

Turn 10/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Original limper checks, I go all in, am called and get shown K10/images/graemlins/spade.gif for flopped straight. River blank and I feel violated. Bleh.

The only thing that saved last night for me was doubling up with 66 vs 55 on a K562J flop. Well, that and stealing some blinds. Total for the session: -$35.

Side note: I will be switching to .5/1 HE until further notice.

I played for a little more than an hour. We'll say an 1.25 hours for record keeping.

I think that will be my average, as from 8 to around 9:30 my wife feeds and puts our new baby to bed. In my original post, someone told me to wait till I have kids and then my wife will really crack down, but I already have 2 of them. A 6 year old and a 2 month old. Pride of my life. I spend so much time with them from the time I get home until the time I go to bed, that this poker hobby I have is really all I have time for and enjoy.

So...

ORIGINAL
B/R - $250
Current Limit - PP $25 NL
WO(wife's opinion) - 10
MSE(my self-esteem) - 50

After day 1
B/R - $215
Limit - PP $25 NL
WO(wife's opinion) - 10
MSE(my self-esteem) - 45
Hours played - 1.25

fnord_too
11-30-2004, 01:10 PM
I don't play in many NL cash games nowadays, but for limit I find PT exceptionally helpful. You ought to consider picking it up, espcially if you can get it with non BR funds without violating the rules of your challenge.

Is your 6 year old in bed by 8?

just_checking
11-30-2004, 01:18 PM
The 6 year old is a girl, and she has her bedtime routine from 8-8:30. Then, I read her a book and tuck her in.

As for Poker Tracker, today is my birthday and it is going to be my gift to myself. Happy Birthday to me.

SomethingClever
11-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Glad to hear you're switching to .5/1... but you might even consider .25/.5 since this is YOUR LAST BUY IN EVER!

Take this with a grain of salt.. I am incredibly risk-averse.

ElSapo
11-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Good luck with the quest... I'd make some other comments, but as I'm not really part of a partnership as you are, being married, I don't have a whole lot of room to talk. I also don't know anything about your financial situation. I will say this -- if you have expendable income that is for you, I'm not sure why your wife should get to say you can't use it for gambling. If she buys shoes, why can't you do this (horrible, sexist example, perhaps, but you get me).

That said, everyone and ever couple is different and you have to do what is right not just for you and her but for the both of you. If agreeing to this limit (which most people, and you maybe, realizes is silly b/c it brings with it some significant risk of ruin even if you are a winning player) is the right thing, then so be it.

Chase bonuses. It's locked up money that will do wonders for a micro bankroll, especially one that is so risk averse. And play .5/1... You have about 215 BB -- I think if you are a careful player, this will be fine.

I realize playing micro NL is probably more exciting than micro limit, but busting out is considerably less exciting than either.

Keep posting here, keep asking questions, you're on the right track.

ElSapo

toollman
11-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Obviously Elsapo you aren't married or else you would know the saying that whats hers is hers and whats his is hers.
Gl just checking. I am sure you will find more money somewhere.

Douper
11-30-2004, 09:29 PM
"In the game of life, Women are the rake"
- twodimes quote box

BK_
11-30-2004, 10:33 PM
bad all in on the qj hand. check that turn everytime. there is a huge chance you are beat, and you have little fold equity. basically just see the next card for free and try to hit your flush. if you have them beat, they will likely check the river and you will take it down. perfect situation.

Grisgra
12-02-2004, 11:50 PM
I want an update /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

4thstreetpete
12-03-2004, 02:11 AM
lol! I find this quest absolutely hilarious. OMG, the stats are a riot!!! bwahahah /images/graemlins/grin.gif

keep us updated just_checking. I will be following your quest with great interest.

BTW I think you have a loving family, and nothing is more important. Your wife seems somewhat understanding and is willing to comprimise so it's not all that bad. It's better than a lot of people.

Good luck!

Snow
12-03-2004, 05:09 AM
Great challenge!

I also have 2 kids and the youngest is only 2 month old(check them out on our homepage www.nanda.nu (http://www.nanda.nu) - the proud father) so the time to play poker has dramatically declined. Just always remember to put your family first!

One problem with this setup is that you might become weak tight because you are afraid of busting out permanently.
There is a saying: "Itīs better to burn out than to fade away" that can be true in poker.

Regading the switch to limit, another option for you is to start playing micro NL, 10/25c NL or less on UltimateBet (or another site).

Good luck!
Regards
Snow

speclj
12-03-2004, 05:26 AM
Good luck on this man, I'll definitely be pulling for ya--I was in a similair situation about a year ago. I didn't necessarily have to sit down and negotiate a deal like you, but I told my wife I wanted to take a stab at trying to play more seriously and improve, so I wanted to deposit $100 (ahh, the naivette of the poker beginnings) and I got THE LOOK (things were a bit, okay a lot, tighter for us financially at the time). I knew that I would have to do some serious angling to get more chances if I lost that first $100, but thanks to a bit of bonus whoring at InterPoker and the soft play there (7 Card Stud was great there even with the high antes) plus grinding at cheap sit-n-go's and MTT's at PStars made a reload unecessary and I was able build up a decent bankroll (for my level and proclivities at least)and buy some pretty nice toys for myself aa well as a couple of things for her.
As a humble suggestion, one thing that worked well for me (unless of course she has stated she wants NOTHING to do with it) was keeping her involved and updated, and try to bring her into it. I've only been married 3 years now, but I have found that I can do nearly anything I want, barring extremes of course, if I am "sharing". It has even gotten to the point where we have a home game every month or so, and every once in a while she will play online, and she's pretty damn good at it. I had to pick my jaw up off of the floor when we were in New Orleans recently and she suggested going to Harrahs to beat up on the 3-6 game, where we ended up kicking MUCH ASS (dammit I wish I could get her to play more, oh well).
If this was too long winded my apologies, just wanted to give some encouragment and the "sharing" suggestion if, worst case, you lose that $250 she should be more understanding if she has been along for the ride.

BigBaitsim (milo)
12-03-2004, 08:14 AM
I like the switch to $0.50/1 limit play. I know I've talked about it before, but I started with a $100 BR with a similar (self-imposed) Bust-Out-And-Your-Done rule. Turned that into $10K with very conservative management of my BR.

PT will definately help. Go get that manhood back! Once you've built a BR and start paying for stuff for the kids with money from your "second job," your wife's opinion will turn. Just be very, very patient, it will be a while.

Rhone
12-09-2004, 07:17 PM
I want an update!

Hope it's going well, man.

Rhone.

Freakin
12-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Perhaps she took away his ability to 2+2 as well?

Freakin

Grisgra
12-09-2004, 10:45 PM
I don't think it's going well for some reason /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

junkmail3
12-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Anyone else wonder what happened to this guy?

Freakin
12-20-2004, 07:07 PM
See speculation here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=holdem&Number=1402846&Foru m=All_Forums&Words=manhood&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&M ain=1402846&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&datera nge=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=& bodyprev=#Post1402846)

AncientPC
12-22-2004, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"In the game of life, Women are the rake"
- twodimes quote box

[/ QUOTE ]

That's from Rounders.

Freakin
12-22-2004, 08:01 AM
I love that quote. Christmas is making it even more apparent how steep the rake is for me right now.... Gucci handbag this, Tivo that....

Freakin