PDA

View Full Version : Clueless on 77 hand

John Paul
11-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Here is a hand I had no idea what to do with:

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls $1 (All-In), SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5 BB

I limped pre-flop following SSH.

I figured I would bet out on the flop (wasn't sure if I should do this or not). If nobody had an ace I might have won right there, and if someone rasied I would drop out.

UTG+2 raised, but went all in in the process, so I stuck around figuring I didn't need to worry about future agression there. Was that a bad move? Should I have bet out the turn after I did that?

Normally I would just check the flop and fold to a bet with a low pair that did not improve on a small pot, is that the best play in this kind of situation? Even with just 2 others in?

Thanks for comments,

Slick Al
11-30-2004, 12:35 PM
You have 2nd pair in an unraised pot. Firing at it once isn't a bad play. If the raiser had more money behind, I would likely fold. Since you're getting 9-1 to potentially see a river (if SB is passive), I think it's worth a call.

Personally I wouldn't be the turn or river, as you're likely only to be called by something that beats you, while SB probably folds hands worse than yours. Since it's an empty side pot, this must be -EV (you win $0 when he folds, and lose more than 50% of the time he calls).

You're most likely beat, but I'd call in this spot about 100% of the time.

Al