PDA

View Full Version : what happens to me

knifeandfork
11-30-2004, 11:56 AM
i host a poker game where i provide food and drink and deal the game i charge nothing to participate, the game is in a private home in virginia. the players tip me. can big brother construe this as a poker gmae spread as a business? is it illegal, and if so why ? thoughtful answers appreciated. i have glanced over the law and not found any reason why it would be. thanks in advance.
jason

Peca277
11-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Not sure... but if you post this in the Home Poker forum I'm sure somebody will know.

Monkeyslacks
11-30-2004, 12:29 PM
A home game I played in was raided and shut down. This was in northern va. The host dealt the game and provided food/drinks. He did rake however(and tipping was customary.) I'm sure your game is a little more low key than his was, but I would avoid the tipping if it were me just to play it safe. Have everyone kick in for food or something beforehand.

fsuplayer
11-30-2004, 12:54 PM
can big brother construe this as a poker gmae spread as a business?

not unless your are making a profit after paying for the food etc., and it doesnt sound like you are.

a better thing to do would be to either charge a rake up to the amount of the food and drink, or better, just ask for donations at the beg. or end of the night to cover costs.

I do this at my games when we get food and it seems to work out better than a rake for everyone, plus personally, I would feel sleazy taking a rake from my friends.