PDA

View Full Version : PP 250 K Guaranteed bust out - please help

poolshark
11-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Let me start by saying that I am a big big fan of 2+2. I have been reading like crazy and replying to posts but haven't really posted many on my own. But I think it is time for one. So here we go.

I finally qualified for the PP sunday 250 K guaranteed by winning the 7 dollar sub-qualifier and then the subsequesnt qualifier.

1511 players registered, 130 places paid, top place - 60 K, 130th - $300.

I am recovering from a busted bankroll and am playing low limit/NL/tournaments to build it up - so I am more than happy to finish in the money.

I started and immediately knew that this tournament is full of tight-Harrington type players, just grinding it out, I was not getting much cards so I really had no choice.
Starting with t1500, i saw my stack dwindle to 800 with the blinds at 50/100. I made a desperate all-in steal with 78 hearts MP and got lucky with two pair - so I have 1600 now, about half an hour later - after not winning any hand, I doubled up with QQ and had about 3k. The fun starts now. I pretty much just hung on, stealing a few and losing small steal attempts, and was at about t2600 when the blinds were 200/400 and average stack of 7.5k (300 left).
Any how, the game has progressed to a race for blind steals. I look down at 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in Late MP, folded to me so I decide to take a shot and make it 1200 to go (???). folded to SB who raises to put me all in ( I have about 1400 left), BB folds, and I take a lot of time and FOLD thinking he has AK, AA, KK, QQ etc, and that 1400 is still workable for a all in steal/doubleup attempt. The very next hand - folded to me again and i have 55 - so i push for 1400. The same guy who is the button now - RRs to 5400 (crap) - all fold. He shows KK and I bust out 258th as he catches a K on flop to seal it!

I was left wondering - if I should have called the 1400 with 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ? did he catch two mosnter preflop hands in a row?

Please help!

dirty moose
11-30-2004, 12:06 PM
with the blinds @ 200/400 and you only having 1400 left you were commited to that hand. you should have called for 2 reasons 1 you lack of chips. and #2 it looked like a steal he may have been trying to re steal. any how your lack of chips should have been enough to call. good luck rebuilding the bank roll

kuro
11-30-2004, 12:19 PM
At 6xbb here, you should be thinking push or fold mode. So if you want to take your shot with 89s you might as well push. But you didn't push and got reraised which you then should have called because you're getting decent pot odds at this point.

You need to get out of the mindset that saving 3bb will somehow give you a chance of advancing further into the tourney.

wall_st
11-30-2004, 08:26 PM
I just qualified for this tournament last night via the 9+1 satelite and am curious as to how your experience was, specifically:

- what type of players did you encounter ?
- how did the play vary at different stages ?
- how often did you get moved from your table ?

and any other advice that anyone could offer would be very helpful, I expect this to be quite different from the regular tournaments I play, the highest multi table tourney I have played is $20.