PDA

View Full Version : EV of Multi-table tournaments

XChamp
11-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Can anyone here estimate the EV an excellent tournament player has for most of the multi-table tournaments offered online? Is there anyone who actually plays these for a living or do they all supplement with sit&goes and/or cash games?

In Sklansky's book, "Fighting Fuzzy Thinking in P,G&L", he says that a few good players have an EV of twice the buy-in. He goes on to say that this player is twice as likely to money in a tournament compared to the average player. His analysis follows from this assumption. I have a problem with this. Sklansky seems to assume that the pro in question is just as likely to finish in 1st as he is to finish in the last money spot. My own personal results from playing $100 S&Gs conflict with this. My most common finish is 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd, all the way down 10th.

Does this fact (if it is one) change Sklansky's estimate of EV? I think it should substantially increase it for a quality player.

Can anyone comment on this?

XChamp
11-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Is there some good literature on the subject? I Have Cloutier's books, and McEvoy's and Sklansky's. Any other good ones out there with a detailed section on expected value? Maybe an article online?