PDA

View Full Version : It was the way it should be...

Al Mirpuri
11-30-2004, 11:17 AM
I made the money...considerable as it was...I busted out sixth: the hand played like this, I was under the gun and raised T$60,000 with QQ, the blinds were T$10,000 and T$20,000 and the big blind was the only caller. The flop came QKxr and I put in the rest of my stack T$47,000. The big blind had called with JTs and now felt he had pot odds for his draw and called; the turn was a blank but the river was an Ace. That was me done for...

Two questions:
1. Should I have put all my T$107,000 in preflop? I was afraid of an Ace or King flopping so I did not but this gave the big blind the odds to call.

2. Should I have checked behind the big blind and have him bluff the turn or alternatively I would move in on my own accord on the turn when he would have been 4-1 against making his draw? Is this just a post hoc rationalization brought on by hindsight?.. This assumes that if he had made his straight on the turn I would have been able to release my hand but I doubt it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

aceragclubs
11-30-2004, 11:31 AM
With just over 5x the big blind, I think you have to push here. Since the blinds are going to eat you alive, this play can be made with a wide variety of hands, and people will not put you on such a strong hand like QQ. Are you telling me that if the flop had a K or A, you were going to check-fold so you still have $47,000 when the next two hands in the blinds will use up $30,000 of it? That being said, the way you played it, you correctly went all in on the flop and he did correctly call with those pot odds. Poker happens. Checking behind him on the flop would have been a terrible play and VERY scared poker. You simply can never get away from this hand at any point, nor do you want to.

Al Mirpuri
12-01-2004, 07:34 AM
Thnaks for the reply aceragclubs.

I should have pushed and if I had got outflopped then so be it. You are right on this.

phixxx
12-01-2004, 08:39 AM
I agree with pushing preflop. I think this is a great spot for at least a 3:1 dog to call you.