PDA

View Full Version : to push or not to push

gummy d
11-30-2004, 09:23 AM
First off i want to thank everyone hear for all the valuable information and laughs over the last year.i have been lurking regularly, finally signed up and am making my first post.
I'm in the small blind, everyone folds to me. I have about 20,000 in chips and am i'm tied with another guy for 3rd with respect to stacks. The big blind has about 35,000 in chips. Blinds are at 800/1600. I peek and find kk, raise to 3800 to go. Big blind raises 3000 more with what she thinks ( i believe she thinks) is the best hand. I raise all in which comes to 14,500 more after her re-raise. She thinks a bit, calls with qq (i put her on ak, aq, or a smaller pair /images/graemlins/tongue.gif), flops a q and i'm done.
Question: Is there an argument for just calling her raise and taking it from there assuming i have a decent feel for when she does/ does not have a hand?
Generally when i'm out of position like this i prefer to go ahead and get it all in with the best hand even against a larger stack.
thanks in advance

Apathy
11-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Easy push, tough break on the suckout. IMHO it will be a suckout for you if one of the meanies (I mean respected veterans) around here doesn't flame you for making your first post a bad beat post.

37offsuit
11-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey and welcome Gummy. Before the bad beat police show up, say you just call this bet and the flop comes Q high. Now she pushes. What do you put her on? AQ? QQ? a lower set? AA? A bluff?

What I mean is, with KK you are only a dog to one hand, AA. Any other hand you have dominated. Get all your chips in. When you're ahead (most of the time) you will still lose between 1 and 4 times and 1 and 5 times depending on your opponent's holding (assuming Ax and smaller pockets calling you here). But you'll win most of the time and sometimes your opponent will just fold and you'll win then too.

Since you're a long time lurker you should know that it is now time to duck and cover. The next post will be very unfriendly 9 in 10 times.

gummy d
11-30-2004, 10:59 AM
thanks for the quick replies. and yes probably shouldn't have started with a bad beat story but no lashings yet. i wasn't really whining about the bad beat because said caller was getting about 3-1 on the call and probably put me on a wider ranger of hands (ak, aj, aq, kj etc..) and was at worst she was a 4-1 dog. That said, she most likely would have tried to milk me with smaller bets once the flop came down (8 Q 3 rainbow) Seems everyone at this home game plays pretty weak tight unless they get short stacked. Could i have gotten away, probably not but maybe could have avoided going broke. Any arguments for calling? raising more preflop, want some action right?