PDA

View Full Version : Woman and Poker - when do you tell her your a degenerate gambler?

gamblore99
11-30-2004, 07:02 AM
say your seeing a girl. when do you tell her your love for poker?

Its very hard to steer clear of it seeing as its my job and my biggest hobby. If im getting to know someone i feel i should share it, as its a big part of me. At the same time, when I do mention it, i often get the "gambling is for suckers" response, in which i feel the need to defend poker and explain how its a game of skill and then i get the "your a degenerate gambler" response. Not a turn on. At least I'm told its not.

Also I think its very impressive that I've won thousands of dollars playing poker instead of slaving away at horrible job earning 10 bucks an hour. I want to impress, but at the same time i dont want to tell this girl I'm loaded, cause then she's probably not only going to expect me to pay for everything, but that I take her to nice places all the time. Not cool.

Thoughts?

SuitedSixes
11-30-2004, 07:15 AM
"Rounders" should be your standard first date. Ask her who she thinks is the hero and who is the villain. Based on her response, you'll know what you're up against. If her hero is either Mike, Worm, or the Judge, you're ok. If it's Mike's girlfriend, move on to your next prospect.

Apathy
11-30-2004, 08:58 AM
Be honest, but only offer information on what you do if she asks. If she sticks around long enough for you to care about, some can be molded into tolerant and encouraging girlfriends and others are a lost cause, i.e. they try to change you. And if all else fails, try to pick up hot dealers or tournament spectators, I hear daniel negreanu met his girlfriend, fiancee now, on the partypoker million cruise.

Thats gottta be +EV

jimdmcevoy
11-30-2004, 11:15 AM
I'll share with you an experience of mine.

Me and this girl where goin out for a bit over a year, and long story short the feather that broke the camel's back was that I gave her a rain check on a movie date so I could watch the 2003 world series live on the net.

Besides that I think she was ok with the poker thing, but I think you should let her know early on that you play a fair amount of poker and why, and plan ahead so the two don't conflict.

My two cents

The once and future king
11-30-2004, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ask her who she thinks is the hero and who is the villain. Based on her response, you'll know what you're up against. If her hero is either Mike, Worm, or the Judge, you're ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this on my Girlfriend, she said Teddy KGB.

Whats my next move?

gamblore99
11-30-2004, 05:39 PM
I dont think the main problem is that I play poker to much so I wont have time for her, its more that I am proud of it and want to tell her, but if I tell her to soon than that might go sour. or if work comes up early on (im in university),then what you do?

SuitedSixes
12-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Check.

Blarg
12-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Do it during sex. Reveal your secret in bed like Kirk Douglas did when he whispered into the ear of a virulently anti-semitic starlet in triumph right when he came inside her, "I'm a Jew!"

Evan
12-01-2004, 01:54 AM
I've never met a girl that had a problem with me playing poker. Once in a while its something that girls seem to really like, I'm not sure wht. I've gotten responses ranging from "Oh my God, that's to coolest thing I've ever heard" to "Umm...okay". I'm also 19 so its not like girls I meet are looking for a stable guy in their life with a career plan. I can see how this could be a bigger problem if you're older and making a career of poker.

Personally I have no desire to play poker for the rest of my life, its just not what I want to do. I'm sure I'll always play, but not as much as I do now once I graduate from college. I think if I were a girl that was looking to settle down I'd probably have a problem with someone that played poker for a living, especially if I didn't understand what that really meant (as most people don't).

PoBoy321
12-01-2004, 02:29 AM
My girlfriend never had a problem with me playing poker until one night, we were over at her place and she wanted to fool around, but it was the final table of the WSOP main event and I told her to wait. That pissed her off a bit, but she dealt with it. Basically, if a girl has a problem with you playing poker, why do you want anything to do with her anyway?

Shilly
12-01-2004, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Once in a while its something that girls seem to really like, I'm not sure why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker = Money = Buying her things /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Reef
12-01-2004, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Once in a while its something that girls seem to really like, I'm not sure why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker = Money = Buying her things /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

my gf wants jewelry with big sparkly rocks. ugh

cnfuzzd
12-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Play strip poker. she i clearly a born-lag.

peace

john nickle

Lawrence Ng
12-02-2004, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, if a girl has a problem with you playing poker, why do you want anything to do with her anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because when you love a girl, you will do anything for her. It's stupid, but it's how a dumbass heart works.

Lawrence

Lawrence Ng
12-02-2004, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker = Money = Buying her things

[/ QUOTE ]

If only things really were that simple..

PoBoy321
12-02-2004, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because when you love a girl, you will do anything for her. It's stupid, but it's how a dumbass heart works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I know that, I understand that, I was kidding.

junkmail3
12-02-2004, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is how your heart works. (http://science.howstuffworks.com/heart.htm)

tek
12-02-2004, 01:57 PM
I think it would be pretty hard to fool them, unless they are really dumb.

If they ask you where you work and you say "uh, well..." they'll know something's up. Same thing if you say something stupid like "I'm a statistician or risk analyst".

Better to just tell them and let the chips (pardon the pun) fall where they may.

I have light switches, border wallpaper, etc with straights and flushes. I also have 8x10 photos on the wall of guys playing poker like Clark Gable (Gone with the Wind), James Garner (Maverick TV show from the 1950'), De Niro (Goodfellas, Newman (The Sting), etc. So it's obvious poker is something I do.

JudoGirl
12-02-2004, 08:32 PM
ha!...

...even worse, when does a girl tell a non poker playing prosective boyfriend that *she* is a degenerate gambler?

you wouldn't believe the stereotypes men have of women poker players!

fortunately I found a guy (now husband) that has no problem with it...he has even picked it up himself...though he only plays casually...

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 08:52 PM
ummm... the stereotypes of women poker players are mostly true.

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do it during sex. Reveal your secret in bed like Kirk Douglas did when he whispered into the ear of a virulently anti-semitic starlet in triumph right when he came inside her, "I'm a Jew!"

[/ QUOTE ]

totally. awesome.

Blarg
12-02-2004, 11:04 PM
That was in his first autobiography. I was howling when I read that part.