PDA

View Full Version : Seasoned Dealer Advice/Stories for a Noob Dealer?

juanez
11-30-2004, 03:32 AM
OK - I'll officially be auditioning for poker dealer positions in Colorado. First audition is December 7th (if all goes as planned).

I'm looking for some advice from good, experienced, professional dealers and floor persons as to what makes a good or bad dealer, what management is looking for, what to watch out for, etc.

Any good, interesting stories from a dealer's perspective would be cool too.

Thanks! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

youtalkfunny
12-01-2004, 01:03 AM
It's so simple.

1. Just SHUT UP AND DEAL.

2. Give the game that you're dealing you're undivided attention.

3. Don't be afraid to call the floor if you're unsure of what to do at any time. The floorman won't get mad at you, he knows it's his job to help you when you need it. The players would rather see you call the floor, and get it right, than NOT call the floor and get it wrong.

4. Relax. Have fun! Just do it with a minimum of speaking.

I've been dealing for a few years now, but I'm still unable to carry on a conversation and deal at the same time. When a player is trying to get me to chat with him, I just tell him, "I don't mean to be rude, but I just can't talk and deal at the same time. I'll be on break soon, we can talk then if you like."

5. SHUT UP AND DEAL!

tarcards
12-01-2004, 01:25 AM
I agree 110% with youtalkfunny. The main thing is to just keep your head down and deal. If you talk with the players it will slow down the game a great deal. A know alot of players that tip the dealer depending on how well the game runs and not how many pots get shipped to them. Also, never point at a player use an open hand and address everyone as sir or maam. The main thing is to just keep the game moving at an acceptable speed. Always call the floor if you are not sure what the correct course of action is and have fun. Its one of the best jobs i have ever had. And don't let the [censored] players get to you.

Good Luck
Tarcards

illunious
12-01-2004, 04:02 AM
PokerWorks (http://pokerworks.com/blog/archive/2003_09_01_archive.html)

Good reading, even if you have no interest in dealing.