PDA

View Full Version : BB special's 2-pair faces tough turn decision

topspin
11-30-2004, 02:25 AM
SB hasn't been at table long, but so far he seems like your regular fish (VP$IP 62.5 PFR 25 over 8 hands, small sample size yadda yadda). CO is unremarkable with equally fishy stats and slightly higher sample size: VP$IP 86, PFR 9.5 over 21 hands.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP (poster) checks, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ...

[b]SB's bet here is representing a 3. Seems a bit odd, since he's probably CR if he really did hit, but if he's really got a 3 then I'm drawing to 4 outs (or worse, if he has 43, just 2 outs) -- definitely not odds to call, and the pot is small. Fold? Call down a potential bluff? Any LAG types out there like raising? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bodhi
11-30-2004, 03:07 AM
No, I think you still have 4 outs if he has 43. 43 would give him 3's full of 4's on the turn. If the river is a 4 then you have 4's full Q's and he has 4's full of 3's.

As for whether to call or raise I don't know, but it does make me wonder when someone goes from check-calling to betting out.

topspin
11-30-2004, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I think you still have 4 outs if he has 43. 43 would give him 3's full of 4's on the turn. If the river is a 4 then you have 4's full Q's and he has 4's full of 3's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I mistyped, I meant 3 outs -- 2 Q's and 1 4. If he has 43 then there's only a single 4 left in the deck, unless internet poker really is rigged /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As for whether to call or raise I don't know, but it does make me wonder when someone goes from check-calling to betting out.

[/ QUOTE ]

More or less the heart of my dilemma. Small pot and I'm drawing thin against trips, but I'd hate to lose to a bluff or to some nitwit who thinks he's "improved" to two pair.

Bodhi
11-30-2004, 03:27 AM
Oh, you can't lose to the nitwit because you know you can't fold.

If he has trips then you have to pay him off. Enough of the time you'll win to make it worthwhile.

topspin
11-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Anyone else want to weigh in? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yads
11-30-2004, 01:46 PM
I like raising and folding to a three bet, which might hopefully drive button out. If he's passive he might even call and check to you on the river which you can just check through.

TheHip41
11-30-2004, 02:12 PM
By raising the turn(2BB), and folding to a raise, you are spending the same amount as calling down, but now, for your 2 BB, you don't even get the chance to spike a boat on the river. I'd call down, he could have anything.

topspin
11-30-2004, 03:02 PM
I called it down, river blanked and SB turned over 43 for the boat. A calldown is pretty much standard for me here, but I was curious if anyone else had a better line considering that if I thought I was behind on the turn I'm drawing awfully thin on the river.