PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Set versus Intense Aggression

Ajax410
11-30-2004, 02:15 AM
Villain just sat down - seen him play next to no hands - absolutely no read.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO (poster) folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

In position + lots of callers = easy call.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

UTG bets - I decide that since I have such great position I'll wait until the turn to put my raise in. Any problems with this?

Turn: (6.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

I was a little surprised when he 3-bet my raise on the turn - but it still seemed like an easy cap to me. He hasn't really done anything to convince me that I'm behind at the moment.

River: (15.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Following my cap, I get check/raised. The fact that he would check/raise me after I capped the turn means, to me, that he is positive his hand is ahead of mine. Do I opt to just call...folding is clearly not an option. Does he have a straight? Set? Two pair? Overplayed top pair? I really didn't know what I should do here, and I did not feel like facing a river cap, so I opted just to call...is this okay?

Final Pot: 19.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 19.75 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font>

Alex

ErrantNight
11-30-2004, 02:19 AM
i'd raise the flop. nobody is going anywhere.

this might change the texture, but it sure looks like UTG has a better set. i suppose A5 hearts is a possibility? not much else...

not much you can do on that river. i think if he c/r you on the river with something worse after your turn cap you should make note of it... but i don't see any value in 3-betting this river. you're not getting capped by a worse hand. unless he's a maniac.

Evan
11-30-2004, 02:36 AM
I had a nice response typed but it got [censored] up somehow. I'll summarize out of laziness...

Possible hands for UTG:
33- That would make us /images/graemlins/grin.gif but I'd have to think he'd play the flop differently

77- That would make us /images/graemlins/frown.gif but once again I think he'd play the flop differently

A5- Once again we'd be /images/graemlins/frown.gif but that seems like an awful lot of pumping even for being double gutted. A5/images/graemlins/heart.gif though is a definitely possibility.

Random 2 pair- That would certainly make us /images/graemlins/grin.gif but it would also require UTG to be retarded --&gt; this is highly likely.

So its either A5h or stupid 2 pair (I assume if you're bad enough to play any hand that makes 2 pair on this board UTG then you'll be stupid enough to give it this much action). There's also that possibility of just any 2 cards that decided that they'd take a "stab" at the pot after watching one to many WPT episodes. In synopsis (sp?) I'm somewhere between 5% and 66% sure that we're good here, so I call the river check-raise.

helpmeout
11-30-2004, 03:21 AM
You've got 2 trapped and that flop is pretty scary I raise now.

His turn 3bet screams 65.

MoreWineII
11-30-2004, 04:14 AM
Given the action, I'm inclined to think 56s. I think the river calldown is fine - despite your repeated aggression, UTG's telling you he's got you beat.

Unless he's a maniac, he probably does.

wheelz
11-30-2004, 05:12 AM
I'm actually going to say fold preflop...?

There's not really "lots" of callers. Two limpers and a raise. Yes you're on the button, but that's not enough to be playing 44 for a raise I don't think.

But about the hand, I think you have to just call the river. If he's not a total maniac, 33 is probably the only hand he could have there that you're ahead of.

Evan
11-30-2004, 05:40 AM
The preflop call is fine. The dead BB from the CO helps and implied odds are there to call. Another limper would be nice, but this call is slightly +EV.

Chris Daddy Cool
11-30-2004, 06:10 AM
you must have put in a lot of thought in your post to include all those /images/graemlins/grin.gif and /images/graemlins/frown.gif

keep up da good work!

Evan
11-30-2004, 06:12 AM
emoticons &gt; actual useful content if you ask me /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wheelz
11-30-2004, 07:17 AM
I didn't notice CO posting. If I figured at least one of the blinds would call the raise, I'd probably call too.

The call wasn't horrible, I just didn't think it was as easy as the original poster thought it was.

Ajax410
11-30-2004, 07:19 AM
I know for sure 2 guys are coming along in addition to the raiser. I have position the entire time. The only time I'd have to stop and think about making this call would be if there were only 1 limper.

Alex